"XLR switch"?

Hookin up those Audio Boxes without gettin yourself Perplexed.
JJ2013
Voodoo Audiophile

"XLR switch"?

Post by JJ2013 »

Hi ya'll,

Here's a simple question. I don't want to purchase another boom for the mic (or any other stand for that matter) I am using and wondered if an "XLR switch" exists? What I mean is that I would like to use just one mic the output of which I can feed into two separate audio chains. I could probably whip up a switch using a "project box" that go for about $2.50, drill 3 holes for panel mount XLR's and a 3PDT switch.....

I know that I could get a plain vanilla mixer to do this and just MUTE the other channel, but I've shelled green folding lately and am being really cheap now......;-)

Does an XLR "switch" like this exist that I could buy off-the-shelf? It needs to very small in size and one that I could mount onto the mic boom.

Suggestions welcome!

Have yourselves a great Independence Day!

73 de JJ
NI2M

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Post by Voodoo Guru »

Howdy JJ,

Sorry, We've never had to come across anything like that and always use mixers for this purpose.

One thing to be aware of is retaining the audio quality and using components that will have some longevity. If you use a switch, make sure it is a good quality gold plated contact switch. Same thing if you use a relay. You could run into RFI or Hum issues if your not careful in the design of it.

Good Luck,
Voodoo Guru
From Deep in the IDD of the Sub-Harmonix Realm

KC7OV
Voodoo Audiophile

Post by KC7OV »

Greetings.American Music Supply has the ART splitcom that does what you are seeking.It can be used as a single mic input with two line outputs or a two mic input and one line output.I used this to run my rack for two radios with no issues.Hope this helps.
Mike KC7OV

JJ2013
Voodoo Audiophile

"XLR switch"

Post by JJ2013 »

Hi,

I sure appreciate the response. This might just do the trick assuming that it is cheap :wink:

73 de JJ
NI2M

JJ2013
Voodoo Audiophile

"XLR switch"

Post by JJ2013 »

Oh....I assume that this works for non condenser mics too as mine a dynamic? One of the output channels needs to completely muted with the other one "active."

NOTE, output #1 from the one mic needs to feed into my Behringer audio rack (I use the rack with my TS870S) and output #2 from the mic needs to go into two EQs by W2IHY that I use for DX work, using an ICOM 756 Pro III.
Obviously, I am using only one rig and audio processing equipment at the same time :wink:

I went on their web site and need to read further as I thought the Splitcom is for a condenser type mic. On course, if I can switch off the phantom power there is no issue.

73 de JJ
NI2M

KC7OV
Voodoo Audiophile

Post by KC7OV »

It will work with dynamics or condensers.
Mike KC7OV

JJ2013
Voodoo Audiophile

"XLR switch"

Post by JJ2013 »

Hi again,

I guess I am making a mountain out of a mole-hill, but I guess it won't matter if audio from my mic is "split" into two separate audio chains even if I only am using one audio chain at any one time? Wouldn't want the quality nor level of the audio from the mic to worsen due to above......go figure why I am having these "outlandishly" ridiculous thoughts.......? :wink:

73 de JJ
NI2M