Mic Question

Reproducing that Incoherent Rhetoric from the Flapping Pie Hole...
KD5TTZ
Voodoo Audiophile

Mic Question

Post by KD5TTZ »

Mike,
I have a sure 57. Has anyone tried this mic for voodoo that you know of?

it is the music industry standard for vocals.

Just a thought, I still have the Audio-Technica AT-4033.

Let me know what you think.

God Bless & Love,
Kyp
If it doesnt fit, don't forse it. Get a bigger hammer !

http://kd5ttz.tripod.com/index.html

Bow
Voodoo Audiophile

Post by Bow »

Kyp,

I know my Shure 57 does really well on my Guitar amps, I don't see why it wouldn't work for doing radio audio.

Frequency response: 40 to 15,000 Hz

I think it will cover your range... :wink:

http://www.shure.com/stellent/groups/pu ... m57_ug.pdf
Bow

Quite possibilly the only 3.3 Khz wide Icom IC-718 in the world...

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Sure the Shure sounds Super

Post by Voodoo Guru »

We've never tried a Shure 57 here,
so unfortunately we can't comment on it.
From what Bow posted as to the Frequency Response, We're sure that the Shure should sound good! :)
The only differences will probably be subtle Sonic differences as to how well it reproduces the resonance and harmonix of the voice.
Try it and see Kyp, We're sure everyone would like to know the results.
Last edited by Voodoo Guru on Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Voodoo Guru
From Deep in the IDD of the Sub-Harmonix Realm

KD5TTZ
Voodoo Audiophile

Post by KD5TTZ »

As soon as I can get the RFI out of the rack I will try the Sure 58, and the 57.
But until then all I can do is hold me ears, pull out my hair ans scream for more cow bell.

See ya..

Bow
Voodoo Audiophile

Post by Bow »

KD5TTZ wrote:As soon as I can get the RFI out of the rack
Ground, ground, ground...

But until then all I can do is hold me ears, pull out my hair ans scream for more cow bell.
Pics?
Audio Clips?
Videos?
Bow

Quite possibilly the only 3.3 Khz wide Icom IC-718 in the world...

SMC Productions
VooDoo Audio Guru

Re: Mic Question

Post by SMC Productions »

KD5TTZ wrote:Mike,
I have a sure 57. Has anyone tried this mic for voodoo that you know of?

it is the music industry standard for vocals.

Just a thought, I still have the Audio-Technica AT-4033.

Let me know what you think.

God Bless & Love,
Kyp
You're NOT going to like what I think of the 'infamous' sm57! :shock:

I think it SUCKS! It's NOT good for anything without alot of EQ. It's almost NEVER used on vocals, mainly snare, and guitar amps, and I think it sucks on those. It sounds honkey, thin, and SUCKY!

The sm58 is used mainly for live cheap PA vocal mics. They are tough, and take alot of beating...basically the same as a 57 with a different screen. Take them both to a pawn shop, or trade them off to some dumb musician or PA type guy... :twisted:
Calcitra Clunis

!KANT
Voodoo Audio Crew Moderator

Post by !KANT »

When it comes to ESSB you have to remember that thoroughly reviewing microphones specifications can be a bit worthless--especially when you start to looking at the high-end frequency response. Remember, we're using at most 7KHz, and approximately averaging 4KHz (respectively).

I've heard an amazingly smooth-robust sounding HF stations using the Shure SM-57, Bellari 220 Mic preamplifier, Behringer DSP1124P and Kenwood TS-950SDX....and I was floored.

Of course with a little or A LOT of Equalization the user can make one microphone sound like another and no one will know the difference unless there was a direct A/B comparison--assuming they are listening with a "decent" receiver/headphones etc.... Why?? Because of the bandwidth we're utilizing. [30Hz - 4.5KHz/6KHz]

I say try the SM-57/58/7B and see what you prefer. :wink: 8)

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Post by Voodoo Guru »

mmmmm....

SM57 = Yuk ... Spit!!
Absolutely NO Resonance Whatsoever!
Voodoo Guru

SMC Productions
VooDoo Audio Guru

Voodoo Guru wrote:mmmmm....

SM57 = Yuk ... Spit!!
Absolutely NO Resonance Whatsoever!
AMEN brother!

It bloody well sounds pinched on top of that...NO bottom whatever, and the highs suck too...all mids...it takes alot of EQ to make it work for anything...I have two brand new ones...here for the studio..but they've never been used...just in case some ass just HAS to have one on his snare or cabinet...I have it to show him how much better, say, a e609 senny sounds! or even a cheap ribbon, or condenser, or....well U get the idea... :roll:
Calcitra Clunis

SMC Productions
VooDoo Audio Guru

!KANT wrote:
Of course with a little or A LOT of Equalization the user can make one microphone sound like another and no one will know the difference
I don't care HOW bloody much EQ U use, a 57 will NEVER sound like a U87! Hell, not even a Shure SM7b, or a PR40, or even a PR20!
I have a box full of cheap ribbons mics that will blow a 57 out of the water, and I don't care if you have a $30,000 EQ!

I just NEVER see a reason to have a sm57 with today's variety of mics. Years ago...yes...today...NO @#$& WAY!

Can U tell I HATE sm57? Yes I do...almost as much a music encoded with mP3 algorithms! :P
Calcitra Clunis

KD5TTZ
Voodoo Audiophile

Post by KD5TTZ »

OK, I will stick to the Audio Technica AT-4033

Someone asked for pics of the shack? I will do my best to get a few pics this weekend and figure out how to post them to this site.

Looks like I will be going to the Mall and the movies tonight. My loveable wife has asked to go out with the kids, well I don't call that going out, but its either that or listen to it for a few days. So it looks like I will be out tonight.

Talk to you guys tomorrow night.

God Bless.
Kyp

Hey, how do I post pictures to this site? Let me know.......................................;>

!KANT

Post by !KANT »

SMC Productions wrote: I don't care HOW bloody much EQ U use, a 57 will NEVER sound like a U87! Hell, not even a Shure SM7b, or a PR40, or even a PR20!
I have a box full of cheap ribbons mics that will blow a 57 out of the water, and I don't care if you have a $30,000 EQ!

I still beg to DIFFER. The reason.....because of the BANDWIDTH we are using, and that's my point-base in my comment. :wink: There are many variables that come into play was well--TX/RX bandwidth / response, headphones, etc. I've heard stations sporting U87's and others using PR-40's, SM-7B's, MD-421's and MXL-900's, and their audio utterly destroyed the U-87 for sound quality /fidelity--everyone was using Kenwoods that morning. I even heard a guy on 40M with a ribbon mic on a 756PROII and there was nothing impressive. When he changed over to the TS-2000 his audio was smoother, but as he A/B'ed the ribbon and a PR-40, the '40 won hands down.

Same thing applies to radios also. In most cases you'll never know exactly what a operator is transmitting on until they admit to it--even then you can only take their word for it. :lol:

As for the SM-57, unless the station I heard lied, I was still floored by his sound. I for myself no longer get into detail about the my audio processor chain over the air [unless it's true ESSB AUDIOPHILES]. I now just tell 'em , "...it's an MP and condenser mic..." :lol: I don't have an arsenal of mics to choose from, but I've used $5 dynamics and $18 condensers on the '870 and no one noticed the difference......that is, until I told 'em.

SMC Productions
VooDoo Audio Guru

!KANT wrote:
SMC Productions wrote: I don't care HOW bloody much EQ U use, a 57 will NEVER sound like a U87! Hell, not even a Shure SM7b, or a PR40, or even a PR20!

I still beg to DIFFER. The reason.....because of the BANDWIDTH we are using, and that's my point-base in my comment. :wink: There are many variables that come into play was well--TX/RX bandwidth / response,
Well, audio is SO subjective too, but I'm operating with a narrower bandwidth than all of you guys...most likely...as I'm using a 756Pro, and I can tell LOTS of difference between a 57, SM7b, v67, PR40, etc. No matter how much I EQ, or DigiFAKE, I can't get a 57 to sound TO ME, like a SM7b, PR40, or even one of my many cheap (and NOT so cheap condensors) Again, this is TO MY EARS, I can't speak for anyone else's ears. I can even tell quite a bit of difference between some of my single ribbons, and the dual ribbons!

Your mileage may vary! :shock:
Calcitra Clunis

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Post by Voodoo Guru »

mmmmmmm....

This is our take on it,

We agree that by using an EQ, you can usually get the voice Frequency Amplitude Levels and Frequency Response of these different mics to coincide with each other to fill the TX Bandwidth of the of the Rigs used for Radion....

BUT....

The SOUND of these mics are Totally Different.
It's the little things in between, inside, and around these frequencies that make the difference.
Namely the natural way the particular mic will pick up and reproduce the Harmonics and Resonance of the Voice. In other words, the Richness and Life.
An EQ CANNOT add these things to the mix.
Prime Example....
The RE-20 and the PR-40.
2 of the 3ea Favorite Mics here. (TSM Muneo condenser is the Top Dog!!!)
The RE-20 just has so much more Low Frequency Resonance and Life as to compared to the PR-40.
They Both sound wonderful, the PR-40 matches the RE-20 in amplitude and all....but it just doesn't have the same SOUND, no matter how much you try to EQ it.

Another thing is this,
If the Low Frequency Response is not there to begin with, and you do have to use the EQ to 'Boost' the Low End Frequency Amplitude,
It just doesn't sound as Clean, Rich, and full of Life. There is something 'Lacking'
Thats what We HEAR here.
Voodoo Guru

!KANT

Post by !KANT »

Point(s) taken, noted and respected. And it's all very much true indeed that each microphone type and model will take on it's own characteristics [setting it apart from the other]. But when it comes atmospheric noise, phasing, poor condition [or even great conditions], adjacent station interference, listener's acute hearing level, type and model of transceiver, the listening station on the other end will be hard pressed to tell the difference. Now there are some that CAN tell the difference in the sound of the transceiver, especially since it itself has characteristics. You can tell the sound of a Jupiter and Orion easily.... And there is no doubt that you can tell the sound of a DSP based Kenwood [if the operator isn't in "narrow-ass" mode]. :P

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Post by Voodoo Guru »

True for the most part.
We know of at least two people that can tell the resonance difference between microphones over the air - W5UDX, and WZ5Q.
Of course the signal strength has to be optimal.
But your talking about ears that can hear 1cps off frequency!!
For the most part, we suppose the normal Hammy Radio Operator will not hear this difference over the air.
BUT....
when 10 meters opens up, They Will!
10 meters will reveal EVERY audio discrepancy and Flaw in your system.
Thats a Fact.
Voodoo Guru

!KANT

Post by !KANT »

Could this be the reason that I received so many on-air compliments when 10M was open a couple weeks ago??????????? :wink:

Some people can tell and others just live in a fantasy land of their own when they say their ICOM sounds as smooth, natural and better than a Kenwood, TS950, 870 or 850/DSP100----are they INSANE??!!!!! :roll:

w5cul
VooDoo Audio Crew

Post by w5cul »

are they INSANE??!!!!! :Rolling Eyes:
Nope, just your typical pinheads in a four point contact position :twisted:
W5CUL

Live from the Texas Hill Country......VMSDX# 21

!KANT

Post by !KANT »

Believe it or not, some of these are guys who enjoy playing audio [with their W2IHY 8-banders and EQ Pluses].....OYE!!!!! :roll:

I just laugh hysterically "behind the mic" and realize they have no idea what TRUE ESSB is. Compound this with their listening preference it brings tears to my eyes. :cry: :lol: :lol:

ruisgc
VooDoo Audio Crew

Post by ruisgc »

Hi guys, how are you, it’s my first time in the forum.

You were talking about se sm57 and what have you say about the sm58? I have one, and seem to be a good mic. Or not.... :roll:

So... best wishes to all, and see ya around...
From the Portuguese voodoo station... 73
Rui - CT2HAR