EX3200....

The essence of Perfection. What is it that makes that Surreal Sound?
!KANT
Voodoo Audio Crew Moderator

EX3200....

Post by !KANT »

Well, it came in yesterday and I'm quite familiar with it's performance and ergonomics--this is my third one :D This unit does what it's intended to do. For this application, the '3200 does add a significant amount of subfrequencies....but as with any processor of this type, you have to learn to TAME it. Using Greg's [suggestive] setup as a foundation, I had to readjust the amount of Bass process on channel two as well as the High mix. I don't have a deep/girthy voice and had to setup the parameters to my voice, microphone, EQ and multiband processor. And yes, the '3200 brought out some subharmonics I never really heard, but at the same time I heard the transformer in my amplifier humming along on the desk....has to be relocated. I have to admit, there is still a lot of experimenting to come--hell, the experimenting never ends!!

I now ponder on whether or not to bother with the 'T1954....how much of a difference will be heard between the two?? I guess we'll probably see.

BTW, I finally decided to get a pop filter--took me long enough :oops: --but that's another thread... :wink:

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

EX3200 Sub-Harmonix

Post by Voodoo Guru »

Great!!
That is my second most favorite Unit.
It sounds like you got a good grip on how to set it up.
One of the VooDoo Secrets using this unit is its placement in the Audio Chain.
We place it directly after the EQ and before the last compressor.
Our Reasoning for this is:
#1 - We like to give it only the Audio Spectrum that we want it to enhance. If the 3200 is before the EQ, then it will process the ENTIRE audio spectrum going to it (Like the transformer hum that you are hearing...depending on the transformers hum frequency of course).

If placed after the EQ, then it only processes the EQ'd Audio Spectrum and you have more control.
#2 - We like Smoooooooth Compressed Low End. If the Compressor is used after the EX3200, you have the ability to take out some of the aggressiveness of Low Frequencies without loosing the Smooth Resonance it gives to the Audio Mix. This is where the Multi-Band Compressor shines. You have the ability to shape the Lows, Mids, and Highs individually.
You can use a single band compressor also, but the settings are a little more critical.

Compressors can be used for a multitude of Audio Effects. Most people only use them as "Limiters", or "De-Essers". They can be used for so much more to shape and control the way the Audio Mix sounds.

When used in the above line-up, the trick is to reduce the "Boosting" of the Low Frequencies on the EQ, while increasing the "Bass Processing" on the 3200 for increased Sub-Harmonix to fill in the voids. That is another reason we use the RP-533 Bellari in front of the EQ, Increased HarmoniX content.
We don't "Boost" ANY Gain on my EQ below 2.5KC. We only "Cut" the gain on the required frequencies. But that has allot to do with our natural voices, and the configuration of our equipment.
Last edited by Voodoo Guru on Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Voodoo Guru
From Deep in the IDD of the Sub-Harmonix Realm

!KANT
Voodoo Audio Crew Moderator

Post by !KANT »

That's the exact reason I placed it after the EQ in the chain--to enhance the EQ parameters [in the lower frequencies]. I will try a few different configurations with the chain and see what results I come up with...I just need to make up some more cables [if I find my "stash" of Star Quad cable].

I'm still experimenting [and will always continue to]. I found where the hum was coming from. The mic was picking up the vibration from the boom arm installed on the desk. Yes, the amp [was] on the same desk--desk surface is glass :? -- but I've since moved it to the another desk......and BAM!....HUM gone.