I Think I have Theory....

Why are so many Amateur Radio Operators so Scared of Running Low Frequencies in there Audio?
!KANT
Voodoo Audio Crew Moderator

I Think I have Theory....

Post by !KANT »

Well, I woke up about an hour ago, took a shower and BAM!....it hit me. I believe the reason why so many operators don't get involved in this type of audio--including "Enhanced SSB"--with any external processors is beacause, these ops get a DSP based transceiver and some deaf dope tells them they sound awesome...."you sound just like all those guys with all that outboard stuff....with just that mic plugged into the front of the radio..." :shock:

Shamefully, I have said this as well. But it has been rarely proven true for some stations--Paul [W9AC] is a perfect example. 8)

--insert--

***OMG, I'm lastening to this exact subject on 7.251MHz right NOW!!! :shock: Dude's got a 1000MP with a MD100 microphone. Must admit it sounds smoother than stock...but DEFINITELY not like external processing...NO WAY!!!--his top end has a slight distortion, like he's getting limited/pinched up on the topend--just like the TenTec's***They're helping another kat with a FT897 and they're telling him he sounds like the local news caster....BULLSHYT!!!!!!***

Back to Paul..... Paul used to be very heavy into external audio processing. He used to run a Kachina, then was one of the first ops to get into the 850/DSP100 setup and was smokin' hot. Then the pressure of the "cops" complaining of "WIDEBANDING" caused him to not be as active. Now he rarely operates, but I had the pleasure of having him give me a call on 40m last weekend. And I have to say, he did sound AWESOME!!! And man was I surprized to hear it was only the TS870 and Heil PR-40.......and that's it!!! :shock: He had the smooth deep lowend [not subharmonix] and strong adequite presence [with sweet sublties at 4Kcps] to compliment the lower frequencies--perfect... :wink:

Not many stations can achieve this--be it lack of knowledge or deafness. But the statement given to them of "sounding good/great/awesome"....has made them not have the incentive to pursue further into sounding better on SSB [via audio processing]. They have been falsified and brainwashed....yet again... :roll:

You know it's true, you do your best thinking in the bathroom... :lol: :wink:

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

True, True.....but

Post by Voodoo Guru »

You can make a rig sound great with just a Microphone plugged into the front of it....depending on your Voice characteristics, the Rig parameters, and the Mic characteristics.
With a BIG emphasis on your Voice Characteristics.

We have heard allot of stations that sound good with just a Mic.
We have heard some stations that sound terrific with just a Mic.
We have heard VERY FEW stations that sound Spectacular with just a Mic.
All in all.....they are all missing something that just a Mic by itself will never add.........

HARMONIX.
Last edited by Voodoo Guru on Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Voodoo Guru
From Deep in the IDD of the Sub-Harmonix Realm

!KANT

Post by !KANT »

Amen.....

JAY-ROD
VooDoo Audio Crew

u said it oz

Post by JAY-ROD »

way to many rednecks around the band thinking the raw mic sounds just so damn sweet..lol nice to be here with u guys!maybe ill learn a thing or two.i have finally got the key,yeshhh the 870;the key to my new beginning.. :wink:

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Excellant Rig!

Post by Voodoo Guru »

Welcome to the Voodoo Forum Jay-Rod!!

We hope you have many questions for our answers...

You've chosen an excellant rig!
You wont be sorry with it...great choice.
Last edited by Voodoo Guru on Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Voodoo Guru
From Deep in the IDD of the Sub-Harmonix Realm

KD5TTZ
Voodoo Audiophile

DUH¿

Post by KD5TTZ »

If more people would put a little more pride into their audio, there would more people interrested in HF. My neighbor has a GEN. Class, he has had it for years, but he says that he will not get on HF cause the audio was too bad.
Well, I showed him a thingie. He started listening to the audio that was being produced through my radio and he said,"If it all sounded like that, I would buy me an HF rig and get on the air." But too many PIN HEADS are just against the better sounding audio. Why¿
Pujo
If it doesnt fit, don't forse it. Get a bigger hammer !

http://kd5ttz.tripod.com/index.html

JAY-ROD
VooDoo Audio Crew

Post by JAY-ROD »

i tell ya brotha, hi-fi and mid-fi audio is spreading upon the ham community like cocaine did in the 70's.Its seems like everyone i hear now at least has a graphic EQ in line.Dont get me wrong ,there are way to many guys out there with their girly whimpy 2k pinched up audio.But IMO the audio aspect of this hobby will increase so much in yrs to come that the girly guys will have their own click somewhere.As for the Pin Heads of HF,well in my area ,there are way to many bitchin ,knowitall assholes on the 2 meter geek band.Keep preachin to him brothah.And im sure when he heres THIS SOUND ,he WILL WANNA COME BACK..lol take care J-rod :wink:

!KANT

Post by !KANT »

It's really interesting to hear more and more operators becoming aware that having "better" sounding SSB audio isn't as bad, expensive, illegal and BORING as they onced believed. I still hear pinheads with their ear-piercing/bleeding audio....and can't beleive the other guys aren't telling them to widen it up a bit--especially since they're 30+ over 9 and screeching everyone to death....

Can we get some wider audio on the airwaves again??!!! :twisted: