Houston, we have voodoo!

The essence of Perfection. What is it that makes that Surreal Sound?
Desmoface
Voodoo Audio Head

Houston, we have voodoo!

Post by Desmoface »

Hey you crazy kids, you;

After coming to the conclusion that my audio was unfinished/missing something, I made the next move in my audio voyage.

I got me a bloody ex-3200 - WOOHOO!!..

My audio chain is very simple at this point...The Mic2200 mic pre-amp, next is the dsp-1124...As per WZ5Q's advice on this forum, the ex-3200 will go after the dsp-1124...last in the chain (for now).

Mic is the Heil pr-20 (for now). May try the pr-40 or re-27 at some point.

I guess the 870 really doesen't go out much further than 3k :(

My experience, and that of NA1A confirms this...Strange, because I was reading on NU9N's site that eq'ed, the 870 goes out to 4.5k? Oh well...still a very nice rig, and I shouldn't create too much mayhem at 3k.

Unfortunately, I can't hook up me bloody voodooage untill my starquad cable, xlr's and 1/4" mono plugs come in...For the love of God!

Steve
kb8viv

!KANT
Voodoo Audio Crew Moderator

Post by !KANT »

Well congratulations Steve!!! :D

Yes, the 1124 will make a HUGE difference in your sound--listen to the demonstrations. For $99 it's well worth it's weight in gold. I'll also suggest acquiring a compressor limiter.

Started to wonder if the guys who are unable to get the '870 beyond 3.5KHz are running a DEQ2496 or 1124P. So far the kats who can't get much past 3.7KHz is using the '96. [I need to investigate this more before it's conclusive]. On both my '870's I've was able to get to 4.5KHz--currently at 4.66KHz on an older '870. *I've recently decided to test feeding the mic input again to see if I get the same extended bandwidth.....and I've done it (4.6KHz*)

Many people are looking for '870's, so the search is on..... :twisted:

Desmoface
Voodoo Audio Head

Post by Desmoface »

Hi, thanks for the response. Well, I am running an 80 mill ser# and it doesen't seem to be going over 3k, using the mic-2200 and dsp1124..I think its the second year production run, so it's old, not unlike its owner.

I bought it hoping it would go out to 4.5k but mine doesen't appear to be...maybe it's just the luck of the draw, but as my luck usually goes, I would get one limited to 3k.

I also was speaking to NA1A, voodoophile, and he said his experience with 870's pretty much mirror's mine, he also feeds through the rear plug. That said, I am feeding the beast through the mic input, but it looks like in your experience, that didn't make much of a difference in bw.

Oh well...I guess I'm destined to be stuck at 3k.

Any suggestions on what I should get for a compressor/limiter? Thanks again.

Steve
kb8viv

P.S. Hook a brotha up when you decide to sell one of them there 4.6k 870's LOL.

!KANT

Post by !KANT »

Well, I still use the same compressor I've used since 2000, the Behringer MDX-1400. Today there are new models from Behringer that you can purchase and will work. **I only mention Behringer because of their superb bang for buck ratio.** :wink:

I keep thinking scenerios of Pilot-Error when people try to attain a wider width with the '870 and canNOT. My first one was 10 mil [1999] and this second one is 80 mil [1996]. I don't think I'll be feeding the ACC until I'm fulfilled with my experiments and adventures of the mic input [for the moment].

I'm more than sure you can get your TX bandwidth beyond 4KHz right now with what you have....I know it. 8)

PS. I only have one '870...the other was sold back in 2004 when I believed my move to this local in the south would yield impossible enjoy of Ham Radio activities--sold the 950 too....and Force12 beam....and ISOLoop....and amplifier.....[need I go on??? :evil: ]

Desmoface
Voodoo Audio Head

Post by Desmoface »

Hey Ikant, thanks for the info. Well, I have to find someone who has the ability to tell me what I'm doing as far as bw. I was told on the air that I was only at a little less than 3 with the tx shift set to 0 (menu 29 or 30?). Since I've changed this to 100 maybe I am a little wider..

Thanks for the advice on the compressor...

Steve

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Voooodooo!!

Post by Voodoo Guru »

VOOOOODOOOOOoooooooo.......

That you can dooooooo...

now that ya got the 3200!

Great on that, we're sure you'll love it.
We guess the 870 will stay in a shroud of mystic mystery............
Last edited by Voodoo Guru on Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Voodoo Guru
From Deep in the IDD of the Sub-Harmonix Realm

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Post by Voodoo Guru »

Well......

After talking with Greg, W5UDX.
He said that they did some experiments with different year models of the 870 to find out if it was related.......

It is.
It seems that Kenwood did something around mid 1999 on the 870 that limits the TX bandwidth to around 3.2Kc.
Not sure exactly what it was, dont know if it was algorythim changes in the new ROM chips they revised, or something different.

Soooooo.....
Pre mid 1999 870's can go to around 4Kc on TX.....
After mid 1999 870's can only go to around 3.2Kc.

Anyone else got some info to confirm this??
Last edited by Voodoo Guru on Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Voodoo Guru
From Deep in the IDD of the Sub-Harmonix Realm

Desmoface
Voodoo Audio Head

Post by Desmoface »

Wow, good info, Mike. I have been corresponding with the "Ozman" and it turns out that our 870's are the same vintage..80 mill ser #'s, which I believe is 96 manufacture...

Anyway, I'm still winging it with eq settings but I sent him a sound file that someone did of me on the air...he graphed it and put it alongside a 950 for comparison..at the top end, it was very close between the 870 and 950..both seemed to drop off around 3kc...

Of course, I'm not sure about the receiving stations receiver parameters (the one that recorded my clip) so that may affect things also..

Anyway, Oz's is going out to around 4kc I think he said, and since we have the same vintage, I'm hoping mine will also when set up with a proper eq program.

So thats my story and I'm sticking to it LOL...Thanks again for the info, Mike.

Steve
kb8viv

!KANT

Post by !KANT »

Desmoface wrote:I sent him a sound file that someone did of me on the air...he graphed it and put it alongside a 950 for comparison..at the top end, it was very close between the 870 and 950..both seemed to drop off around 3kc...

Anyway, Oz's is going out to around 4kc I think he said, and since we have the same vintage, I'm hoping mine will also when set up with a proper eq program.

Steve
kb8viv

Steve, the spectral comparison with the 950 was intended to give you an idea of the low-end when directly compared to yours. I recorded that clip of Steve WD0CT at 3.4KHz, so his bandwidth would be pronounce beyond that--he's well past 4KHz.

Our '870's are from the same year production year. I'm back to feeding the mic input again [since I had another "sick" idea]. I have some 1124 parameters for you, but it REQUIRES a compressor for the dynamics. :wink:

Mike, I'm still believing that it was a change in the DSP for the '870. But as of late, I may be incorrect, but it seems like the operators who are limited to 3.2K to 3.7K TX are using the DEQ2496. They have pointed out that they try to "push" the high-end but it just distorts/tears/spits.

I'm not familiar with the order sequence of the internal processors of the '96. But I was able to get to 4.5K with my '870 which was manufactured in '99. Both using the 1124P and MDX1400. Another problem is they tried using incorrect parameters on the 1124P--boosting the wrong frequencies.

Desmoface
Voodoo Audio Head

Post by Desmoface »

Hey Oz, sure would appreciate those 1124 filter settings ..I should be getting me bloody compressor next month...I guess the latest is the mdx1600..I assume it's pretty much an mdx1400 with new clothes..

Your right about the low end dropping off..I believe that's mostly because I don't have a clue how to set the 1124 LOL..

Thanks again everyone (especially Oz) for all the help..it surely is appreciated. 73's.

Steve
kb8viv

!KANT

Post by !KANT »

Hi Steve, sorry for the delay in response, but I was working on something. Check out these parameters for the 870/1124 combo. Hope it helps. Good luck.

**I retested these parameters with out the limiter and you maybe about to get away without one, just watch your input levels to the 1124P** :wink: 8)

Desmoface
Voodoo Audio Head

Post by Desmoface »

WOOHOO!!! Did I mention that you were the man, Oz?? I've been listening around 3955 but I gots to get up too early to stay on much past 11pm...I keep hoping to hear you on the air...

I'll keep listening for you..Thanks again.

Steve
kb8viv
(voodoophile in training)

!KANT

Post by !KANT »

The group doesn't usually gather until after the Foreign Broadcast Station signs off--that's about 1am EST. I jump in and say hi right before I go to bed. That's around 3am. Maybe it'll be best to get there during the weekends. 8)