Audio in location for a ft 897d

Force them Rigs to accept True Voodoo!
tuner
Audio Head

Audio in location for a ft 897d

Post by tuner »

Hello Gents ,

Great site ! I'm a noob Im running a ft 897d I'm just wondering if I should try to use the data in jack for my audio or if I should stick to the front mic jack. I'm sure I will have many more questions , thank you for your time . :)

my audio chain :

ART Pro D7 dynamic mic
ART Tube pre amp
ART SCL2 Compressor
Beringer fbq mini 9 band eq
ART PBD isolation Transformer
into my Yaesu FT 897d.

I look forward to any advice , I ve been thinking of getting a wider filter for my rig. I appreciate your time and help Thanks

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Post by Voodoo Guru »

Howdy Tuner,
Welcome to the Forum! We hope you enjoy your stay here.
Due to life's unexpected twists and turns, we've not been able to post very much to the Forum. This will hopefully change in the next year.

Were not familiar with the FT-897D, but the Data Input jack on most rigs is not a good place to inject audio. The reason being is that Data is very narrow banded and the manufacturers usually put very small coupling caps inline with the Data Jack creating a High Pass Filter. This will cut the low frequencies off usually at about 200 to 300cps.

If this is the case with your FT-897D, you could change the capacitors to a larger value to lower the cutoff of the low frequencies. Search this site and you can find were this was done with other rigs. Without the modifications, it's probably best to use the front mic input.

Another problem you might have with maximum transmit bandwidth is if the FT-897D implements DSP in the Transmit process. If so then you should find the menu that controls this and open it up accordingly. Most rigs will have a setting for the low pass and high pass.

Good Luck!
Voodoo Guru
From Deep in the IDD of the Sub-Harmonix Realm

tuner
Audio Head

Post by tuner »

Thanks Voodoo Guru, lol I just traded my ft897d for a ft 920. I'm happy with the rig and how it works. I hope it works well with my gear :)