TSM Muneo Mic

Reproducing that Incoherent Rhetoric from the Flapping Pie Hole...
JJ2013
Voodoo Audiophile

TSM Muneo Mic

Post by JJ2013 »

Hi y'all Audiophiles and VooDoo Heads!

Any idea if a TSM Muneo Mic could be had? It is pretty rare deal out there in the "Microphonium" world these days perhaps, but would be curious to learn what the chances of landing one might be :lol: ?

Cheers,
JJ

audioray12
Audio Head

Post by audioray12 »

Over the years the last two I purchased came from Sweden.
I think several dealers there sold them.
I love mine and will not part with it.
Good luck on the hunt.

JJ2013
Voodoo Audiophile

TSM Muneo Mic

Post by JJ2013 »

Hey there Audioray :-)
I don't blame you for not wanting to part with yours.
They no longer sell them in Sweden of course, but would you
remember the name of the company that did sell them?
I seem to recall seeing the call of a guy in Sweden (SM5???)
who had several of them I think.....
Hunt goes on!
JJ

audioray12
Audio Head

Post by audioray12 »

I purchased mine from a guy named Peter in 2015 . This Peter is not a ham radio operator, and does not know the other Peter from Sweden that is mentioned here on this forum.
Here is the email of the person I purchased mine from.
fischerman37@gmail.com
Give him a try, can't hurt.

Ray Kara

JJ2013
Voodoo Audiophile

Post by JJ2013 »

I sure appreciate your email and the email address !!

Cheers,
Juha

JJ2013
Voodoo Audiophile

Post by JJ2013 »

Ray,
Peter did respond to my email, but only to say that he would let me know if a mic would cross his way.
I may have a line on one here in the U.S.
As this dual tube mic weighs over 4 pounds (around 4.4"), where did you go shopping for a boom to keep it suspended? I have no desk-space so I would need a very heavy duty boom arm :lol:
I have a Heil Sound PL2T right now, but according to the specs, it won't hold a mic this heavy really.....
It is an old mic and I wonder if it contains electrolytic caps that need to be swapped out (which isn't something I would relish doing....). Tubes can still be had (NOS).
I think Mike had reverse-engineered the Muneo so a circuit diagram even exists thanks to his efforts!
What say?
JJ

JJ2013
Voodoo Audiophile

Post by JJ2013 »

Just an "outlandish" thought here with regard to the audio as I am guessing that a tube mic will only truly come into its own if my signal at the receiving end is +20/30dB over S9! The warmth and analog "signature" will really shine under those conditions. Of course, this is a gross oversimplification as there are a slew of other factors that impact the way your audio comes across, including your voice :roll:

I have noticed in using FET condensers (the FET condenser I have is really good - http://www.oktavamodshop.com/product_in ... cts_id=200 - that an analog/mic designer called Michael Joly shipped to me 2-3 years ago) that the audio from the mic referenced above comes across really well (based on unsolicited reports on the audio made by fellows who have the receiver bandwidth and flatness required) when my signal strength isn't that strong compared to the tube mic (which isn't too bad either). Somehow, there is more "bite" or "definition" over the entire audio band-width when I am on the FET condenser when the receiving end copies me at S9 or slightly lower strength.

I also have a tube condenser (with a "Made in West Germany" NOS triode in it). It is the MXL-V69ME (I swapped out the Made in China triode which did affect the quality of the audio).

What I am writing above is really an oversimplification and based only on my set-up, antenna, audio chain etc., but I have put an array of mics through their paces and have so far always arrived at the same "conclusion." I have also used some pretty good dynamic mics, including RE-20 and PR-40, but for me, my choice is a condenser as it appears to be able to "re-voice" my voice in a way that I like (and many others it would seem).

I am also now looking at another condenser that appears to have the kind of audio straight out the mic that may not necessitate using any EQ'ing at all. That would be my preference frankly. My goal (it has evolved over the past 4 years) is to generate audio that sounds natural given that my TX bandwidth is max 3.5 kHz, but I am on 3 kHz bandwidth most of the time. I do like the low-end, but given the TX band-width limitation I have, too much in the lows part of the audio spectrum will render my audio sort of "woolly" and "mushy" with the intelligibility not being where it should be.

We all know that audio is highly subjective a matter and what your goal is may also differ from that others have set for themselves so this isn't a "cut-and-dried" type topic to say the least
:wink: Also, depending on the TX bandwidth, we're really looking at a completely different pair of boots.....errr, mics :wink:

I better stop spending more time on this or I will end up sounding really "odd!" :lol:

Cheers,
Juha

audioray12
Audio Head

Limited eq microphone

Post by audioray12 »

I have in my " tool box " of stuff a interesting microphone from ElectroVoice RE 320. It's available new everywhere.
What's interesting about it has a dual personality.
1st a standard flat response, 2nd is a kick drum setting.
This kick drum eq is what's interesting about this microphone.
It has a small bump around 4000 and around 100.
Perfect for most limited bandwidth ESSB rigs.
Internal pop filter, and being a dynamic is perfect for shacks that are less than perfect studios.
Needs very limited out of the box work.
I love this microhone.
985 Chicago
Voodoo audio #12