Starting the ESSB journey

All the other Voodoo Audio Topics.
voodoonoobinky
Audio Head

Starting the ESSB journey

Post by voodoonoobinky »

I have been reading the websites and forum posts for years now and have been collecting some gear to get the ESSB adventure going.

Radios:
Icom 746Pro (know it has limited bandwidth)
Kenwood TS-850 with DSP-100 (factory setup, no mods "yet")

Amp:
Ameritron AL-80B (just got at hamfest last weekend, need to get a tuner so I can use it)

Audio gear in use in order:
EV RE320
MIC2200
MDX1600 (for expander, radio room is furnace room)
DEQ2496 (various PEQ tweaks based on NU9N and
MX882
1202FX (pass mic audio through and combine 6 radios receive audio to send to computer)

Have FBQ2496 that is not being used and waiting to find a deal on a DSP2024.

Mix 31 split ferrites on all audio gear input cables and AC cords.

A few homemade 600 1:1 audio transformers with RF blocking capacitors scattered throughout the setup.

So looking for frequencies (General class) that most ESSB folks use so I get some good ears to help me tweak to achieve that great audio smoothness.
I spoke to KA0KA on 17m a few times prior to having the amp but I sure he was straining to hear me.

I am a General (5wpm) studying for the Extra.

Thanks

!KANT
Voodoo Audio Crew Moderator

Post by !KANT »

Welcome to the VooDoo. Glad to see you're building YOUR sound--equipment list looks pretty good. It's rare to catch many of the eSSB operators on the air, but when we do, it's a PLEASURE to hear those sounds for sure. Will you be modding the 850/100 or keeping the set stock?? Good luck on the Extra Class License--it's worth achieving. 8)

voodoonoobinky
Audio Head

Post by voodoonoobinky »

As of right now leaving the Kenwood 850/DSP 100 stock until I get audio rack settled in, but after that I will be looking for another project.

Listened to a few guys on 3.630 the other night and also a few on 7.235, all sounding good and conversation mainly about audio/radio/rack stuff.

Came upon a DSP2024 which should be arriving this week.

So far have about four sound profiles saved in the DEQ2496 but if anyone has any they like I would like to see it.

The DEQ2496 currently has firmware 2.2 and I know that 2.5 is out but does anyone know the updates in the later firmware? If I wanted to update the DEQ2496 will cheap midi cables on Amazon or eBay work?

voodoonoobinky
Audio Head

Post by voodoonoobinky »

The rack is complete. Also added an iBox.

voodoonoobinky
Audio Head

Post by voodoonoobinky »

Just finished completing the Voodoo Triple S mod to the EX3200.

Anyone have the mods to the MX882, the link is dead.
http://www.voodoo-labs.com/index/gearsl ... 82mods.htm

ECC82
Voodoo Audiophile

Post by ECC82 »

Hi Voodoonoobinky,

Congrats on modding the 3200, wasn't easy, ruined one board over here :-( but got one operating at the moment. Strange that the link doesn't work, there were a couple of other links that gave an error message. I'm using the 882 over here as well, but haven't bothered to mod it.

Cheers,

Chris
PA3TVI
===================
>> Livin' la VooDoo Loca <<
===================