Would this mic capsule change be unnecessary?

Reproducing that Incoherent Rhetoric from the Flapping Pie Hole...
JJ2013
Voodoo Audiophile

Would this mic capsule change be unnecessary?

Post by JJ2013 »

Hi y'all,

I am using a tube (rolled the tube to a much better one as I wrote in another posting) condenser , an MXL V69 ME, and it sound pretty detailed, articulate and appears to fit my voice. It may be just a tad bright and I am striving to tame the highs by using the "de-esser" of the MDX2600 compressor.

Now, I read that replacing the stock mic capsule with an RK47 may help bring the highs under better control. HOWEVER, since my transmit bandwidth is constrained to 3-4kHz, max, I am wondering whether buying the RK47 would do ANYTHING at all for this application since, the highs are so far outside my max TX bandwidth?

Yes, I realize there is the issue of RF and AF bandwidth to consider as these are not at all the same issue and the fact that (OR, perhaps I need to focus more time on getting my audio EQ in an even more balanced way!) I perceive of the audio to be a smidgen too pitched to the highs would just reinforce the distinction between the two bandwidths!

Sure would appreciate common sense responses from you to help get some clarity :lol:

Cheers!!

JJ

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Post by Voodoo Guru »

Howdy JJ,

Changing a mic capsule will completely change the sonics of a mic, without a doubt. As to how it will perform compared to what you have now, only changing it and listening to the comparative difference will you know. Unfortunately, we've never played around with your mic or the RK47 capsule so we've no comment on the sonics.

Proper EQ'ing and gain structure management can improve any microphone's sonic profile to the talent, which would be you in this case. :D

Take Care,
Voodoo Guru
From Deep in the IDD of the Sub-Harmonix Realm

JJ2013
Voodoo Audiophile

Capsule change

Post by JJ2013 »

Hi VooDoo Guru!

OK on the "talent" :lol:

Thanks again!!

JJ