New Valve EQ

The Secret Weapon?
Glenn Nutsey
Voodoo Audio Head

New Valve EQ

Post by Glenn Nutsey »

Hi,

I am looking to upgrade my DEQ 2496 to a valve PEQ.

The budget is around £500 (new or second hand) can anybody recommend anything to look out for ?

I was considering the TL Audio 5013 which I can buy for £500 (ex demo).

I have read reviews on the HHB Classic 20 & 70 but I think they require hard core mods which is not my bag.

Some help would be appreciated.

Thanks Glenn

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Post by Voodoo Guru »

Howdy Glenn.

The TL Audio 5013 is a terrific Valve Parametric EQ. It is the same thing as the HHB Radius 20. You will be very impressed with its performance.

The only thing you will miss will be the memories the DEQ2496 has, everything else in the audio realm is a drastic improvement.

Good Luck,
Voodoo Guru
From Deep in the IDD of the Sub-Harmonix Realm

Glenn Nutsey
Voodoo Audio Head

Post by Glenn Nutsey »

HI,
Managed to find a 5013 MK1 for a steel.

I wanted to ask if you
Link the EQ channels together like the EX3200c. Abc if so is valanced or unbalancedthanks

Voodoo Guru wrote:Howdy Glenn.

The TL Audio 5013 is a terrific Valve Parametric EQ. It is the same thing as the HHB Radius 20. You will be very impressed with its performance.

The only thing you will miss will be the memories the DEQ2496 has, everything else in the audio realm is a drastic improvement.

Good Luck,

Glenn Nutsey
Voodoo Audio Head

Post by Glenn Nutsey »

Hi,
Not to sure what happened to my post.
I noticed on your rack set up that you have channel 1 going to channel 2 on your Radius 70, is that correct ?

Is this so you have twice as much frequency adjustment ? And do you use a balanced or unbalanced link cable ?

Glenn

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Post by Voodoo Guru »

Howdy Glenn,
I noticed on your rack set up that you have channel 1 going to channel 2 on your Radius 70, is that correct ?

Is this so you have twice as much frequency adjustment ? And do you use a balanced or unbalanced link cable ?
Yes, Channel 1 Output is fed into the Channel 2 Input.
This is done to double the amount Frequency Filters as you surmised.
We always use balanced cables for the audio equipment interconnects other then the special unbalanced cable for the EX3200.

Take Care,
Voodoo Guru
From Deep in the IDD of the Sub-Harmonix Realm

Glenn Nutsey
Voodoo Audio Head

Post by Glenn Nutsey »

Thanks for your reply, that helps greatly.

I managed to pick up the 5013 mk1 for $360 which I didn't think was a bad deal.

The set up will be:

RE20
RP520,
RP533,
Both above on order and due next week with new op amps and command valves.
5013 EQ
EX3200, voodoo wired mod
DSP2024P
MX882

I also have the DEQ2496 which I was going to use as a compressor and noise gate prior to the 520 and run the DEQ multiband compressor after the ex3200 ??

I think that your dsp2024 appears to be side chained through the mixer but I cannot figure out from the diagram what the connections are ? I also haven't used the mixer up to this point as I have a flex 5000 and I can record and re-transmit and graph via virtual audio cables.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks again

Glenn M1 AQO