One tube in a sea of tubes!?

The Secret Weapon?
JJ2013
Voodoo Audiophile

One tube in a sea of tubes!?

Post by JJ2013 »

Hi y'all AudioPhiles and VooDoo Gurus!

Just wondering the relative significance of having a mic that features a tube? I mean, does having just one tube in a mic sort of defeat the purpose unless ALL the other audio gear also feature tubes in it?

Theoretically, one would then also have to use a 100% tube transceiver (capable of a wide bandwidth) and a tube RF amplifier.

Would appreciate more common sense advice on this :lol:

I would imagine that every bit helps in the quest of that somewhat elusive seeming "perfect" audio and it starts with the microphone. Carry this logic forward would suggest that you then need to have a pre-amp with a tube in it and of course a 100% tube transceiver :wink:

Cheers!!

JJ

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Post by Voodoo Guru »

Howdy JJ,

It depends upon your devotion and how much of a purest you are.

Above all things, the most important thing to have is a transmitter that has the most transparent and flattest frequency response you can get. You want to be able to transmit the audio as it is presented to it.

On the other end, everything starts with the microphone. You want this to be able to capture all the nuances of your voice from the guttural low frequency sub harmonics radiating from your skull and nasal cavities, all the way to the high frequency ticks made by your tongue hitting your spit soaked teeth.

All the equipment and effects in between is additive. Use the best you can afford, or are able to accept the performance of.

Greg, W5UDX has a simple saying for this...

Trash In, Trash Out.

Take Care,
Voodoo Guru
From Deep in the IDD of the Sub-Harmonix Realm

JJ2013
Voodoo Audiophile

Post by JJ2013 »

Howdy VooDoo Guru!

Glad to see your reply here.

With the mic being as important as it is would then suggest that unless I am using a VooDoo modded TS950SDX or something "close" to its performance (SDR?...., yes, I know that is software and digital :wink: ) and am transmitting wide then the benefits from using a great mic will be more or less lost??

Regarding the Muneo incidentally, did you need to replace them tubes in it or does it come stock with good enough tubes?

Much obliged!

JJ

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Post by Voodoo Guru »

Howdy JJ,
With the mic being as important as it is would then suggest that unless I am using a VooDoo modded TS950SDX or something "close" to its performance (SDR?...., yes, I know that is software and digital Wink ) and am transmitting wide then the benefits from using a great mic will be more or less lost??
The mic is the beginning of the Audio Process. It sets the level of performance as all the other units cannot work with something that is not there already. It does not matter what the Transmit Bandwidth is as long as the Transmit Audio Frequency Spectrum is BALANCED when using it. Even though you are narrow at 3 to 4kc, you can have fabulously stellar audio if everything is set up correctly.

An as we stated in another thread...

"Just remember, there is not just one single Holy Grail item you can change to achieve Audio Nirvana. It's everything you do that is ADDITIVE to the final product. It took us 10 years of culling out equipment, modifying equipment, and trying configurations which people said would never work to achieve the sound we have now. It is a sound that was sought after for a very long time. Yours will be different and it takes time to find it. It aighnt instant breakfast...most people give up or settle for "good enough"."

Regarding the Muneo incidentally, did you need to replace them tubes in it or does it come stock with good enough tubes?
The original Tubes were great. They had a wonderful sound. The tubes were rolled at one time and we put the original style tube back in for the Capsule Preamp. Surprisingly, this was a Shuguang 12AX7B Silver Dragon. The Impedance Matching 12AU7 tube failed, so we installed a high end, made in Holland replacement Tube. Unfortunately, the exact number and manufacturer cannot be remembered.

Take Care,
Voodoo Guru
From Deep in the IDD of the Sub-Harmonix Realm