Power Supply

Other Equipment Topics fer Yakin 'bout.

Power Supply

Post by Newbie »

Anyone have experience with Pyramid Power supplies?
I found a deal on a rack moun 50 amp supply at a good price.
Will they work? or are they cheezy?

Chris

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Never had one.

Post by Voodoo Guru »

We never had one, so can't say much about them. The only one's we have ever had were Astron and TrippLite.
Had the Triplite give us problems.
The Astron never has.
They have been real good to us.
Last edited by Voodoo Guru on Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Voodoo Guru
From Deep in the IDD of the Sub-Harmonix Realm

!KANT
Voodoo Audio Crew Moderator

Post by !KANT »

I've owned only one Pyramid 30A job.....and I didn't last long. I've heard they are just below "good"--for amateur radio it's not recommended. I have heard report of them having serious voltage fluctuations. Some people have gone ahead and modified theirs by adding better/larger caps and stuff.

Switching power supplies are another to watch out for [especially the really cheapo ones]. I use a MFJ 4225 switching power supply [22A cont./25A surge] and it's sweet. I've purposely over drawn and shorted on this thing and it's simply goes into "shuts down mode". A simple flip of the switch off then on again resets it. It's really tiny and weighs 3 pounds and MFJ prides it's P/S on having no RF hash<---a real significant problem with the "El Cheapo" stuff. They also offer the 4245, a 45A supply [weighs 5 pounds].

**Despite the reviews, I know of lots of ops that have tried 'em and love 'em....**

Like Mike, I would recommend [also] Astron 35M or 50M. I've had two 35M's over the years and they were flawless and every highly regarded in the hammy community... :wink:

power supply

Post by Newbie »

Ok sounds good!

Im shooting for the rack mount Astron, they have one on ebay that Im bidding on. If I dont get it I will settle for the 50 (really a 30 amp :wink: )Pyramid for $135 new.

thanks for the feed back guys,

Chris

!KANT

Post by !KANT »

Always heed the warning....."YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR..."

Post by Guest »

Oh, My God!

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Howdy!!

Post by Voodoo Guru »

Howdy Ahmad!!

Welcome to the Voodoo Forum.
We hope you find all kind of good questions to your answers!
We all have a certain Madness to our Methods here...fer goooood reason, ha ha ha

Enjoy the Voodoo Forum.
Last edited by Voodoo Guru on Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Voodoo Guru
From Deep in the IDD of the Sub-Harmonix Realm

!KANT

Post by !KANT »

welcome. And as the geeks say..."Spam away!!!"

Hope to see you active here in the VooDoo Lounge.... 8)