TS870S and condenser mics

Reproducing that Incoherent Rhetoric from the Flapping Pie Hole...
JJ2013
Voodoo Audiophile

TS870S and condenser mics

Post by JJ2013 »

Hi y'all!

I am getting GREAT unsolicited reports on my audio when using the dynamic PR-40 mic (feeding audio in through ACC2/cap mod done) and Behringer audio gear. Contemplating trying a condenser mic to compare ;-)

Would appreciate feedback on anyone's experience when using condensers with Kenwood TS870S! I would imagine hook-up is fairly straightforward and the Behringer MIC2200 mic pre-amp helps me supply the + 48V DC phantom voltage too.

Some folks tell me that a condenser mic may be problematic as it is very sensitive and calls for a very quiet room (mine is !).

Look forward to a deluge of responses ;-)

73 de JJ
NI2M

KC7OV
Voodoo Audiophile

870 and condenser mics

Post by KC7OV »

Greetings. I use one (MXL 990 with screens removed) and yes, they pick up EVERYTHING around you and using a pop filter is a must!. But this can be solved using a noise gate/downward expander (one of the nice features with the DEQ2496 and with most compressors, though it would be better to use an external unit placed after your mic preamp). I use channel 2 of the 2496 for that. Having a quiet room helps but you still have fan noise from your radio, power supply (if it has a fan), amplifier, computer, etc. where a dynamic mic is a little more forgiving.
Mike KC7OV

JJ2013
Voodoo Audiophile

Condenser mic and TS870S

Post by JJ2013 »

Hi Mike,
I sure appreciate the message but I am not exactly sure what you meant by "removing" screens.....?
Got 4 pieces of Behringer gear in the audio rack, have a pop filter and all that as well.
Now, is a condenser mic more susceptible to RF and more prone to RFI?
73 de JJ
NI2M

P.S. Would be great to have a QSO some time to hear what you sound like!

KC7OV
Voodoo Audiophile

870 and condenser mics

Post by KC7OV »

Hi JJ. The screens that are located within the metal mesh that houses the mic element. I have never experienced any RFI with any of the mics I use. I hang out on 10 meters in the afternoon on 28.310 bs`ing with some local friends. Drop by if it the band is open in your area.
Mike KC7OV