Good Reverberations?

Hookin up those Audio Boxes without gettin yourself Perplexed.
ECC82
Voodoo Audiophile

Good Reverberations?

Post by ECC82 »

Was thinking about a reverb unit as a last addition in the audio chain for just a little pinch of reverb effect.

The TC Electronic M350 is an affordable unit, the Lexicon MX200 has good reviews as well.

The TC Electronic M3000 is even better, but is rather expensive.

Has anyone tried one of the above, and is/was it a success?

73'
Chris
PA3TVI
===================
>> Livin' la VooDoo Loca <<
===================

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Post by Voodoo Guru »

Howdy Chris,

It's hard to go wrong with the TC Electronic product. Out of most of the manufactures we have had the opportunity to sample, the TC Electronic equipment seemed to have the best sound to it even though it was being digitized. Good Stuff.

The M350 will probably do more then what your wanting it for. Whats so interesting about this unit is the Plating Effects emulating the old Analog Metal Plate Reverb units made by Elektro-Mess-Technik (EMT). Cool Stuff! I hope to make an Analog Unit in the Future. :D

The M3000 is of course top of the line and was designed for Mastering. No doubt more expensive and more complicated, but seems to have more adjust-ability in the reverb algorithms.

Let us know what you decide upon, and how you like it!

Take Care,
Voodoo Guru
From Deep in the IDD of the Sub-Harmonix Realm

ECC82
Voodoo Audiophile

Post by ECC82 »

Well Voodoo Guru, went for the Lexicon MX400.
http://www.lexiconpro.com/en-US/products/mx400
Had good reviews and was able to buy it on Ebay today, hope to get the Lexicon hooked up in the chain soon. Will post my findings here.
===================
===================

ECC82
Voodoo Audiophile

Post by ECC82 »

Introduced the Lexicon MX400 in the audio chain. Must say, it sounds good on the earphones and through the 870 in monitor mode. Lots of different effects in this little box, some outrageous effects which I will not use on the 870, sounds like an alien got hold of the mic, HI.

Using the small plate effect, so just a pinch of hall on the audio, the MX400 has a lot of ways to fine tune the audio. Advantage is that you can plug it into a USB port and make adjustments on your PC screen/mouse and store the program on the MX400.

I am using it as a serial unit, so all of the signal goes into the MX400. Would it be better to run it through a mixer, so you can mix the original audio and add some audio from the MX400?
In this picture, if I'm not mistaken, the audio from the Drawmer and the DSP2024 (plate reverb) run into the Behringer mixer and than into the Kenwood. (Can someone explain how it runs through the mixer and is it better that way?)

But the MX400 is defenitely good reverbrations and therefore giving me excitations :wink:
===================
===================

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Post by Voodoo Guru »

It's always good to be excited! :D
In this picture, if I'm not mistaken, the audio from the Drawmer and the DSP2024 (plate reverb) run into the Behringer mixer and than into the Kenwood. (Can someone explain how it runs through the mixer and is it better that way?
This is called "Side Chaining" We run it this way to preserve the Analog Sonics of the Main Audio Mix. All of our rack equipment (less the DSP2024) is all analog. We do not like the sonics of audio that have been rendered to the digital domain and back again. The only practical Reverb type units out there for the Plating Effect we like are digital as the analog units are HUGE.

So in order to preserve the Analog Sonic Characteristics of the Audio, We split the Main Analog Audio with the MX882 and send this split audio to the DSP2024. It is then digitally processed and sent back to the MX882 were it is mixed back into the Main Analog Audio. The output MIX control of the DSP2024 is set to 100% because none of the input audio is needed as the plating effect is added to the Main Analog Audio via the MX882 Mixer. This preserves the Analog Audio characteristics and gives it the plating/reverb tail that it needs.

We find that side chaining the reverb unit makes for a cleaner Audio Mix.

A purely subjective opinion of course, so try it and see if you like it yourself. :)

Take Care,
Voodoo Guru
From Deep in the IDD of the Sub-Harmonix Realm

ECC82
Voodoo Audiophile

Post by ECC82 »

Thanks VooDoo Guru for clearing that up. I have got a Behringer MX882 and will certainly try to hook it up as described, as they say the proof is in the pudding so will try a taste of that.

Chris
===================
===================