Audio into TS-870S via ACC2 rear connector possible?

Force them Rigs to accept True Voodoo!
KW4CQ

Audio into TS-870S via ACC2 rear connector possible?

Post by KW4CQ »

Is it possible to send TX audio into the 13 pin DIN connector (ACC2) on the rear of the TS-870S? What are the appropriate pin connections? Are there any Menu changes necessary to allow the audio in?

Thanks....Bob....KW4CQ

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Most Deffinitly

Post by Voodoo Guru »

Most Definitely YES Bob.

Mr. Audio VooDoo Guru himself...Greg, W5UDX...is the pioneer in that field.
He has been doing it from the start...even when all the ""Audio Elites" said it couldn't be done because "THEY" said it kills all the Low Frequencies.
Well....Bull.
Have You ever heard UDX's audio.....sublime!!
Not only does it clean up the sometimes overpowering "Bass Boost" problem the TS-870 has going in thru the Front Mic Jack, It also gives you more Frequency Separation in the upper Mids and Highs.
It also removes what Greg calls the "870 SPLAT" from the High Frequencies and clears them up dramatically.

We'll ask him to come give a post explaining all the Ins and Outs of this procedure.
Last edited by Voodoo Guru on Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Voodoo Guru
From Deep in the IDD of the Sub-Harmonix Realm

w5udx
VooDoo Audio Guru

Post by w5udx »

Running audio in the back of the 870 is a geat way to get rid of the bass rumble and high end splat when you run an eq and harmonix.

Pin 11 and 12 for your audio input (11 being the audio and 12 being the ground) and pins 9 and 8 for the ptt. The reason for the ptt is the audio is separate from the front so you need this separate ptt. (These pinouts are on page 7 of your owners manual).

The last thing you need to do is the input gain control in the radio for the audio in the back. Menu # 20 needs to be on 0. You can play with the gain 0/1/2 but I found on my radio 0 is the only way to go (less noise).

One more thing if you have an icom radio or have had one find the acc. pack that came with the radio and there is an acc. din plug that will fit the 870 and has color coded wires so you don't have to fool with the small ass pins.

color code is:
pin 12 is light blue
pin 11 is pink
pin 9 is whilte
pin 8 is grey

Also if your getting audio from the radio to your computer (recording, graph work) the pinout is:

pin 3 (audio out) is orange
pin 4 (audio ground) is yellow

I hope this helps out and I'm looking foward to hearing some good VooDoo audio from those 870's.
Don't give me that sissy ass audio, put some lows in it!

udx

!KANT
Voodoo Audio Crew Moderator

Post by !KANT »

I've been running my 870 this way for about two months now and there is an improvement in the sound of the audio. I wasn't sure if anyone would notice on the air, but when I hear from many stations that, "...your audio awesome....and smooooooth..." I just knew it worked. I found my sweet spot for mic gain to level 1--#0, too low....#2, too hot and noisy.

***Not to mention....Da BLING!!!!!*** :twisted:

roberto
Audio Head

TS 870

Post by roberto »

I've been running my 870 this way for about 1 month,i seen mod in this forum and make it in my radio.
Now it performes very well with a good bass sound.
Also thanks for the info about PTT

9H5QB_Malta
Audio Head

Post by 9H5QB_Malta »

Hi guys!

So, if I hook up from my Rolls DB25b Transformer Balanced Passive Direct Box OUT(XLR) to 13 pin ACC2 plug, wiring would be Pin 11 and Pin 12 right? I guess that would enable Audio from rack to ACC2 in TS870, but if XLR OUT from Rolls box is BAL, what can I do ? Should it be + and GND to 1 and 2 in XLR? So my problems are:

Should TRS Output from audio rack last piece MDX2600 leave UNBAL since:

INPUT jack 1/4'' UNBAL
OUTPUT XLR BAL to ACC2

As for PTT, I have learnt from ZS6AVM and others, that the only way to “key” and transmit audio is to use the PTT keying line in the ACC2 plug. Pins 9 and 8 are used for this purpose. Pin 8 is + and Pin 9 is ground. Can I use a push button or a foot switch ? Again, footswitch is MONO(UNBAL), wiring is + and GND ?

Apparently, the audio paths used in ACC2 are completely independent from the front panel controls, so the VOX/TX Button will not work :oops:

Or should I eliminate all this hassle, hook up my Rolls DB25b Box OUT) to the front mic input and use VOX??

And lastly, what are your opinions on using a variable attenuator knob instead of the fixed 0/-20/-40/-60db switches?

Help!!

!KANT
Voodoo Audio Crew Moderator

Post by !KANT »

I'm baaaaaaaack--well, back to feeding the ACC2 again. [Yes, we've done the '131 mod as well :wink: ]

With the 870 set to "100" and "3000" and properly PROCESSED; TX is now 4.8kHz :twisted:

JJ2013
Voodoo Audiophile

Has anyone else come across this "noise" issue on

Post by JJ2013 »

Hi all you Audioheads and Voodoo Gurus!

This is what is happening after I'd done the cap mod ("C131").

When the monitor is on the TS870S I can hear “noise” (NOT “hum” that I had been calling it previously in all of my postings thanks to a fellow ham telling me that while listening to it in my shack) when keying the transmitter with no words spoken into the mic indicating that I can't mute the receiver on the TS870S when feeding audio in through the ACC2 on the back of the rig? Also, we could hear the same noise on an external receiver.

Also, when the monitor is on and crank the audio level on the monitor way down, I can no longer hear the “noise” on the audio! However, it is still there, it’s just due to monitor audio level being way down and the "noise" of course audible on an external receiver.

As the ACC2 is ordinarily used for packet data one wouldn’t necessarily ever hear this “noise” unless one monitored the “stream” of digital packets that flow between a Terminal Node Controller/PC and the ACC2…….

See another test that I did:

Listened to the Kenwood TX audio on a Yaesu with headphones plugged into the Yaesu using the Kenwood front panel mic. => No “noise” (S meter reads about 4.5 due to atmospherics).

Tried the same setup when feeding audio in through the ACC2 rear panel socket. => "Noise" is back and S meter now reads about S-6.

Unplugged the front panel mic connector and fed audio through the ACC => "noise" still there same as before.

Disconnected all of the outboard audio equipment from the ACC2 and keyed the radio with a jumper (pins 8 & 9 of ACC2 shorted to see if the noise is still there. MONI on TS870S was disabled and MONI pot was all the way down. => "noise" is still there.

Reconnected the front panel mic => "noise" is still there same as before.

When listening to my audio on the Yaesu, it would appear that my audio appears to have an "extraneous" component. Like the noise and the audio were mixing, but this may be a non-issue as the TS870S and the Yaesu are so close to each other......A fellow ham, who lives 800 yards away from my house hears no extraneous signals and tells me that I sound really good. He also asked me to get on AM enabling him to “graph” my signal. He has a software defined receiver that can be made really wide band on receive, loads of CPU/DSP power and a spectral analysis tool that is software based.

The “noise” would thus seem internal to the rig, has nothing to do with the cap mod OR outboard audio equipment.

Perhaps one of the previous (2 owners) did a modification to the rig that I am not aware of? One of them already told me no mods at all.

Has anyone else come across the above phenomenon and if so what was the remedy?

Best 73s de JJ
NI2M

JJ2013
Voodoo Audiophile

Noise on TS870S after cap mod

Post by JJ2013 »

Hi,

I can email an audio file of the "noise" (that I called "hum" previously) to anyone wanting to take a listen. Wasn't sure if I can attach a file here.

73 de JJ
NI2M

JJ2013
Voodoo Audiophile

Has anyone else come across this "noise" issue on

Post by JJ2013 »

Hi y'all VooDoo Audio Gurus and Audio Heads!!

First of all, I probably have confused many by calling the noise I heard "hum" as it is not really "white noise."

I have been able to trace the problem thanks to Tony, KW6LA, who has a TS870S as well and he'd done the cap mod I believe too.

The TS870S has a MENU item (see below) that I changed to the # "2" position and increased the AUDIO OUTPUT drive from the EQPlus to compensate. That cured the problem!! I have not seen this MENU item talked about on any of the forums I think so perhaps this information will help others who might experience the same kind of issue that I did! OR, perhaps all but me knew that this item would do the trick but that I wasn't smart enough to figure it out and everyone assumed that I'd done it.......?

MENU item 20 is "PKT.IN" = "AF input level for digital operation (MCP/TNC TX)"
0: 100 mV
1: 30 mV
2: 10 mV

Live and Learn!!

73 de JJ
NI2M

JJ2013
Voodoo Audiophile

Noise on TS870S after cap mod

Post by JJ2013 »

Whoops.....