ACC2 plug is hard to find

Other Equipment Topics fer Yakin 'bout.
ECC82
Voodoo Audiophile

ACC2 plug is hard to find

Post by ECC82 »

Spent a lot of time searching the net before I managed to find/buy an ACC2 connector. The shopowner mailed that Icom had a similar connector that was cheaper, costs were 14 euro ($ 17) the Kenwood ACC2 was 35 euro ($ 43). I opted for the Kenwood version. An audiochain is as strong as its weakest link :wink:

Is Kenwood playing "hard to get"? There are many Kenwood rigs out there and there must be some demand for those connectors, maybe they are easier to find in the States? Couldn't find any on Ebay either.

/slightly off topic mode\
In my search found:
Kenwood Upside Down DIN-13 ACC2 Plug

Attention Kenwood owners! It's possible to plug in the ACC2 DIN-13 plug in upside down! (Rotated 180 degrees.) If you do this the radio will immediately go into xmit if you have PTT and all the grounds connected to your external device, and will chatter rapidly between RX and TX when you only connect AF out signal ground to chassis ground (pins 4 and 8). You also won't get any receive audio.
I didn't knew that, but that is probably common knowledge in VooDoo circles.

EDIT: received the ACC2 through the mail today, hmm, bit disapointed, exspected a sturdy metal connector, looks like a "normal" 5 pin DIN plug from the seventies exept more connectors of course. Good thing it is used at the back of the rig, well out of sight :roll:
===================
>> Livin' la VooDoo Loca <<
===================

SawzAll
Voodoo Audiophile

Post by SawzAll »

You can buy a 13 pin DIN plug - or ACC2 plug - from eBay shipped for $5.

Doesn't help you to know that now; but maybe if there is a 'next time' . . .

BillPaul
Digital Voodoo Guru

Post by BillPaul »

The bare connectors aren't that hard to find at all. Several distributors carry them, including Digi-Key, which is where I got mine:

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/e ... -ND/252010

The price there is US$2.47. However, if you need to have them shipped outside US, then the shipping costs far overshadow the connector cost.

I can't imagine why a 'Kenwood' one would cost $43. There's nothing that special about them.

(You're not looking for the socket end, are you? Digi-Key sells those too, though I'm not positive if their pinouts match the solder points on the Kenwood rigs.)

-Bill, N1GPT

ECC82
Voodoo Audiophile

Post by ECC82 »

Thanks for your help. I clearly been looking in the wrong places. Tried ACC2 and ACC 2 on Ebay etc, but couldn't find a match. Now I have some addresses.
===================
>> Livin' la VooDoo Loca <<
===================