3k receiver

That VOODOO Low End, Should it be allowed on the Airways or Not?
Ray Kara
VooDoo Audio Crew

3k receiver

Post by Ray Kara »

What if a receiving station was monitoring at 3k wide a 6k wide transmiting station. What sonic differences would the receiving station hear if the transmiting station switched to 3k wide. :roll: Hmm.

Ray
985chicago

Ray Kara
VooDoo Audio Crew

Post by Ray Kara »

What am I searching for? Most of the folks I hang with can only receive out to 3k or less. :cry: They don't care about me using a 6k band width :D
I run my station with a 6k eq. That I have spent countless hours working on.My goal is to present the best possible audio for these 3k listeners.I could have 2 eq,s a 3k and a 6k. I think taking my 6k eq. and lowering the bottom around 6db is all that is needed.Like many of us we try to get the most out of our 6k low end eq. But we are often in a mixed bandwidth group.So this is my question... Would I get the best balance leaving my transmit on 6k with a 3k eq? :?: :?: :?:

This voodoo stuff has made me crazy :o :lol:

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Re: 3k receiver

Post by Voodoo Guru »

Ray Kara wrote:What if a receiving station was monitoring at 3k wide a 6k wide transmiting station. What sonic differences would the receiving station hear if the transmiting station switched to 3k wide. :roll: Hmm.

Ray
985chicago
Howdy Ray,
The answer depends upon allot of variables.
It depends upon the following...

1 - How Flat the Receiving rigs pass band is.
2 - Where the Low Frequency Roll off starts on the Receiver Pass Band.
3 - Where the Carrier Offset is set on the Receiving Station.
4 - How you have the 3Kc TX Bandwidth EQ'd compared to the 6Kc.

and really many more variables come into play.
Voodoo Guru
From Deep in the IDD of the Sub-Harmonix Realm

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Post by Voodoo Guru »

Ray Kara wrote:What am I searching for? Most of the folks I hang with can only receive out to 3k or less. :cry: They don't care about me using a 6k band width :D
I run my station with a 6k eq. That I have spent countless hours working on.My goal is to present the best possible audio for these 3k listeners.I could have 2 eq,s a 3k and a 6k. I think taking my 6k eq. and lowering the bottom around 6db is all that is needed.Like many of us we try to get the most out of our 6k low end eq. But we are often in a mixed bandwidth group.So this is my question... Would I get the best balance leaving my transmit on 6k with a 3k eq? :?: :?: :?:

This voodoo stuff has made me crazy :o :lol:
Well you have hit on an age old controversy.

What we do is EQ for the best Balance possible at the widest bandwidth capable. Once this is accomplished correctly, then it doesn't really matter what bandwidth someone is listening at on your QRG as it will sound acceptable at narrower receive bandwidths.

When the band is crowded, or if we just feel like running at a narrower TX Bandwidth, it is a simple thing to readjust specific filters as you drop your TX Bandwidth.

Normally you are correct in dropping the Low frequencies when you narrow up your TX Bandwidth, but this alone will not give you the best balance. Reason being is as you narrow your TX Bandwidth, you loose the high frequency components tipping the sonic balance toward the low frequencies. If you drop the amplitude of the low frequencies alone, this will make it sound better but it will still not be balanced. Usually what needs to happen is that along with the low frequency cut, you need to boost the high frequencies to get some clarity and at the same time cut more at about 1.6kc to remove the resulting brittleness.

The last thing is to balance the low Mids with the lows and the 160cps cut to get the best low frequency resonance without any woofy, boomy, or boxy artifacts.

So the answer is.....
It depends.

What do we do you might ask?

We actually have an EQ curve for 4kc, 5Kc, 6KC, and 7+Kc and use it accordingly depending on the TX Bandwidth used.

Take Care,
Voodoo Guru
From Deep in the IDD of the Sub-Harmonix Realm

it9bdx
VooDoo Audio Crew

Post by it9bdx »

I personally use two setups, a more complete range of all with the right emphasis that you can hear perfectly, and also 2.0khz a QSO with other professionals dedicated to voodoo or part of the wonderful world of ESSB which is obviously much more sophisticated tonally and exasperated.
This is a problem that unfortunately is often the case, in any case, perhaps using different equalization curves to be interchanged according to the listener is the best solution.
But in any case I use as a transmission band width, maximum obtainable from my voodoo ts950sdx with all the changes applied.
take care, best regards from it9bdx
THANKS VOODOO FOR EXIST!

www.qrz.com/db/it9bdx

skullman
VooDoo Audio Crew

Post by skullman »

OK RAY HERES MY THOUGHT I JUST TX AND RX WIDE OPEN ALL THE TIME TO MY EARS BEFORE I GOT INTO ESSB VOODOO AUDIO I COULD DEFFINALLLY HERE THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A WIDE BAND TX FROM ANY RADIO ON MY 2.8 TO 2.9 MOBILE OR BASE THE 1ST VOODOO HEAD I HEARD ABOUT 4-5 YEARS AGO WAS EDDIE W5NVI HE JUST SOUNDED SO NICE COMPARED TO ALL THE JUNK OUT THERE,I MADE CONTAC WITH HIM VIA EMAIL AND HE SENT ME ALL THE INFO ON WHY HE SOUNDED LIKE HE DID I WAS HOOKED, TO ME IF YA HAVE AN EAR FOR SOUND YOU CAN TELL THE DIFF RIGHT AWAY,WHEN I 1ST HEARD YOU FROM MY MOBILE I COULD TELL YOU WERE ON A GOOD RADIO THE SDX,SO I GUESS MY ANSWER IS JUST TX AS WIDE AS YA CAN AND RX AS WIDE AS YA CAN THE NORMAL GALAXY,RCI,COBRA JUNK RADIO SHOULD BE ABLE TO TELL YOUR ON AND SDX BUT CAN THEY TELL THE DIFF BETWEEN 6KC OR 3KC OR 2.8KC YES IF THEY HAVE THE EAR FOR IT IF THEY DONT THEY WONT IN MY OPOION, GO WIDE OR GO HIDE HA HA HA ..
may you always have what you want but never want for anything,does that make sence???

!KANT
Voodoo Audio Crew Moderator

Post by !KANT »

skullman wrote:GO WIDE OR GO HIDE
ROLMAO!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It is true, on a narrower RX, you can still hear the quality of a good audio--though not at it's FULL potential. Guru, is correct on all the points provided as well. Setup different parameters for your "Target Audience". [But what happens when there is a station that joins the "3kHz group", but listens at 6kHz, what will you do?? For this reason I transmit 4.5kHz ALL THE TIME, unless I go into "DX-War-Mode" :twisted: