Another SDR-1000 Question

Hookin up those Audio Boxes without gettin yourself Perplexed.
Racer38
Voodoo Audio Head

Another SDR-1000 Question

Post by Racer38 »

Well I am starting to get into eSSB and picked up a nice used SDR-1000 with a 100 watt PA. Its up and running and is just awesome !! Up to 10 wide on TX and RX SSB.

Anyway current set up is the SDR-1000 with the Edirol FA66 sound card, a Behringer Tube Ultragain Mic200 pre amp and a 781 Mic. Its all run through the sound card and so far I get some decent audio reports, but I know I am leaving alot on the table.

I am planning to add the following rack gear, all Behringer.

Ultragain Pro MIC2200
Ultracurve Pro DEQ2496
Feedback Destroyer Pro DSP1124P

I have everything but the DEQ2496 on the way ..

Anyone have any hints on set up and am I moving in the right direction ??

I'm really loving the SDR thus far ..

Craig
W1MED

I'm usually found with the rest of the degenerates on 3.910 ...

Racer38
Voodoo Audio Head

Post by Racer38 »

Wow no comments ?? My Rack gear will be here this week, the EQ will be here today on the Brown Truck and I will be picking up the new PreAmp on Thursday.

I have been getting good results with the SDR-1000 just as she is using the software 10 band equalizer so I am hoping for better results with the external stuff.

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Post by Voodoo Guru »

Howdy Craig,

Welcome to the Forum!!

Sounds like you are getting a great start into eSSB. The equipment you have listed will perform very well for you. As far as the settings and correct setup, Browse thru this Forum and you will find many posts on start-up settings and proper rack equipment lineup.

Unfortunately, there are not that many posts on the SDR1000. Anyone out there play with this rig before for eSSB?

One thing that we have noticed is that you are getting 2 units for Parametric EQ functions. The DEQ2496 has a Parametric EQ in it among other things, and the DSP1124P is a Parametric EQ.
Why are you getting both?

Take Care,
Voodoo Guru
From Deep in the IDD of the Sub-Harmonix Realm

Racer38
Voodoo Audio Head

Post by Racer38 »

Well I got a super deal on the 1124 and then later found the 2496 which I was told was a much better EQ so I ordered it. I'll give both a try and stay with the one I like the best and keep the other as a back up..

Being new I tend to go overboard hahaha

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Post by Voodoo Guru »

We understand completely!!

You will find the DEQ2496 is very flexible with all of the functions it performs.

The DSP1124P is great for specialty use if you have allot of 'Slice & Dicing' to do in the EQ Spectrum. Such as is necessary when pushing a TS-870 out to 4k and beyond.

Good to have as a spare for sure.

Take Care,
Voodoo Guru

Racer38
Voodoo Audio Head

Post by Racer38 »

Well I hooked up the 2496 today and used some base settings from the NU9N.com website. It doesnt sound bad but I'm not using the GEQ as of yet and not sure where to go with that. This thing has more settings than I think I will ever learn.

So it sounds Ok with my PR-781 Mic, I also have a nice AKG Perception 220 Condenser Mic I would like to use but my guess is the settings are going to be way different.

I could use some help if there are any DEQ-2496 Guru's out there, maybe we can set up a QSO ..

This stuff is addicting !

Racer38
Voodoo Audio Head

Post by Racer38 »

Voodoo Guru wrote:We understand completely!!

You will find the DEQ2496 is very flexible with all of the functions it performs.

The DSP1124P is great for specialty use if you have allot of 'Slice & Dicing' to do in the EQ Spectrum. Such as is necessary when pushing a TS-870 out to 4k and beyond.

Good to have as a spare for sure.

Take Care,
Great thing to have a spare as the DEQ crapped out after 3 days of use. It continuously powers off and on so there must be a problem with the power connection internally. Its going back for a replacement. I did get it all set up and my audio was AWESOME.

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Post by Voodoo Guru »

Sorry to hear of the misfortune on the DEQ2496, although we are VERY happy to hear of the success you had with the settings and Awesome Audio!

Back-ups are key, they are a very important thing around the Voodoo-LABS. We have back-ups for back-ups. In fact when one of the back-ups get used, we're fretting and gnashing teeth wondering what were going to do for a back-up!

Take Care,
Voodoo Guru

Racer38
Voodoo Audio Head

Post by Racer38 »

Well the DEQ2496 issues were fixed after talking with a friend. I had to open it up and put some electrical tape on the bottom of the main board over all the solder points. They seem to be close enough to the case to cause a short which powers it down and back on. He said its a common problem with this unit.

The really nice thing about the SDR-1000 is you can record your audio on your computer to see how the rack gear is working. There might be a very slight difference with the transmitted audio but what sounds ood on the computer usually sounds good on the air waves.

I wish there was some way to upload audio files in the forums, folks could have a listen and make comments, I sent some of my recording files to a friend and he made recommendations that helped me out a lot.