New to ESSB

All the other Voodoo Audio Topics.
sm6wet
Audio Head

New to ESSB

Post by sm6wet »

Hi

I have been looking at starting with this before and had some new motivation so thought I go for it.

It initially started with some really nice QSOs with Bill W2ONV in 2006. I was really sad to hear that he had passed over to the Summerlands.
Since then I have been looking at various websites, reading on this forum and hey I even bought myself a studio mike some years back that I want to start using.

Anyhow, I wonder if my radio and mike is any good for it and what more equipment I need to buy. In my country Behringer equipment is usually available at very good prices on the 2nd hand market as there is such a big market of hobby mucisians here and more or less every household have internet. Other brands are available too on the used market.

My radio is a Yaesu FTDX-5000D+
My studio mike a Heil PR-40.

I would like to know what kind of EQs, processors, gates and whatever I need, in what order to hook them up, what cables are good, what ferrite cores will do the trick to remove unwanted RFI and other needed info.
Perhaps is there a website that goes through how to put it all up?

Thanks in advance,

73 de Magnus SM6WET

sm6wet
Audio Head

Post by sm6wet »

Hi

I am surprised nobody replied yet, there was already some 24 viewers.
OK, I got myself som more equipment. Not on hand but just waiting for used equipment to arrive.
Behringer EX3200 and Behringer VX2000.

Any feedback what I should go for next would be appreicated.

Thinking of a Behringer DEQ2496 also.

SawzAll
Voodoo Audiophile

Post by SawzAll »

You should start out with a mic and a mic preamp. Getting familiar with setting these up first should be emphasized. Then, go on and get an EQ and master it. Next, the compressor is important.

Trying to take on a lot of devices at once could be frustrating and counter-productive. Enjoy it; its a hobby. Start out simple and work your way up.
:D

A noise gate, an EFX device, and a EX3200 are nice too; but the learning curve and the results you get are consistent with understanding each piece of gear to its fullest. The same can be said for troubleshooting problems.

JMHO . . . . .

sm6wet
Audio Head

Post by sm6wet »

Thank you Sawsall for your feedback.
I see your point in this.

Mic I have, a PR-40, but what PreAmps are recomended choiises, there are quite so many out there. Only Behringer has some different ones.

73 de Magnus