re20 vs re27 Differences?

Reproducing that Incoherent Rhetoric from the Flapping Pie Hole...
Desmoface
Voodoo Audio Head

re20 vs re27 Differences?

Post by Desmoface »

Hey gang, any real noticable differences between the performance of these two gems? I have to replace me bloody heil goldline pro with a better mic..Thanks in advance.

Steve
kb8viv

!KANT
Voodoo Audio Crew Moderator

Post by !KANT »

If cost is not an issue--which I'm sure it's not since you're looking at the RE-27. Here is a review from W2WX [C&P from eHAM].

"...Initial impression: in A/B tests comparing my new RE-27 with the RE-20, the RE-27 has a bit more high end, more output, which makes it a better choice for SSB and AM. It is aesthetically beautiful, with three filters, two governing the low end, and one governing the high boost end. Most folks using the mike suggest that you leave the filters wide and make adjustments using external EQ's. I have used it with both the Behringer mixer and the W2IHY EQ unit. The best price I have seen for the mike on the internet is currently $449.00 If you do not wish to make the expenditure, I recommend the Marshall MXL 2001 P, which, for under $100.00, gives great studio sound. Considering the price of Heil mikes, and the high end Yaesu and Icom mikes, it is worth looking at the excellent mikes available from EV, Marhsall, Nady and the like. They are clearly superior to Heil and the major ham vendors offerings and far less expensive...."

Hope this helps encourage you in one direction or another. Good Luck.

Desmoface
Voodoo Audio Head

Post by Desmoface »

Wow, great info..Thanks a lot es 73's.

Steve
kb8viv

!KANT
Voodoo Audio Crew Moderator

Post by !KANT »

NP...... 8)

MacJordan
Audio Head

Post by MacJordan »

The RE27 N/D utilizes a revolutionary neodymium alloy magnet and a reinforced diaphragm dome, a combination offering increased sensitivity (up to 6 dB more output), undistorted output at high sound pressure levels and an extended high frequency response.
Wheres RE-20 has a much titer sound.
Property Management

skullman
VooDoo Audio Crew

re-20 vs re-27 vs re-320 vs lauten-audio lt-831 dual tube mi

Post by skullman »

Ok i tested all 4 mics thru my rack 1st the re-20 which is a great mic no switchable filters anyway i couldnt find any has a great creamy sound to me would recomend it anytime,/ re-27 has 3 switchable filters leave them all the way forward this worked the best great low end with no muddy sound,/re-320 a good price shipped to me 276.00 but it just didnt sound that great for my low end sound i like had a nice crisp more treble sound but with eq can be made to sound ok/but i sold it anyway got my money back on fleabay,no worries,/so i purchased a lauten-audio lt-381 oceanous dual tube mic,in talking to the design engineer with some history on the mic a man named brian a loudenslager and also the founder that this mic was coped by someone and they called it the tms muneo which some of the audio kings use here on the forum i think he calls himself the vudu guru ha ha you know who i mean anyway according to brian there were 20 knockoffs of this mic and they called it the tsm muneo,so the story goes anyway the lt-381 has a 31.25 dual diaphram capsule its tranformer-less which makes it a lot quiter,the audio tube they use is a 6j1 military tube,and a 12au7 for the tranfomer-less end,has big reveling sound although i rolled the 6ji tube out and intalled a jg-5654/6ak5w G.E. tube which sounded much better,also an rca 6ak5w works very well, http://www.lautenaudio.com/lt381-oceanus-microphone.htm ,for more info go to this site great info so as of now my main mic will be the lt-381 and the re-27 is the backup,again this is just my personel opioun but thought thought id put my 2/1/2 cents in ha ha . :lol:[/url]
may you always have what you want but never want for anything,does that make sence???

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Post by Voodoo Guru »

BUT...

But the TSM Muneo uses a HUGE 38mm diaphragm in their capsule, don't they...

I wonder who is REALLY the knock off? :yawinkle:
Last edited by Voodoo Guru on Sat May 12, 2012 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Voodoo Guru
From Deep in the IDD of the Sub-Harmonix Realm

skullman
VooDoo Audio Crew

Post by skullman »

Ah yes you are right mr guru,but when i spoke to brian i asked why they didnt use a larger diaphram,and he stated that a dr charles chen his chiel engineer is testing a larger one as we spoke so he said when i mentioned the tsm he told me the story about the 20 knockoffs of the muneo,so who really knows the truth,but i noticed here on the site a man in switzeland posted one here for sale and it just closed the on the 28th i emailed and just missed it so he put it on ebay and it sold so for now my lt-381 sits here lonley waiting for a sdx to talk thru for further testing,everybody keep on mind im very new at this and learn more everyday on this voooooooodooooooooooocoooooooooooollll stuff so im a rookie but i know what sound i like and the voooooooo in the dooooooooooo is it take care jon. :lol:
may you always have what you want but never want for anything,does that make sence???

50kw
Audio Head

Post by 50kw »

Hello,

Back to the initial question .... the differences between the EV RE-20 and the RE-27?

The fact that one mic may a higher output, may have extra contour switches, has a shinier finish, or costs more - doesn't even enter my mind. I want to hear what it sounds like, period.

Having used both microphones, I can tell you they are both beyond what anyone here would need to sound great on shortwave!

Here are some of MY thoughts based on first hand experience.

I like the RE-20. It has a UNIQUE sound.

There is a upper low end, lower mid range warmth that's unique to the RE-20. I know what you're thinking - "here comes the laundry list of adjectives". No, I'll just say that the RE-20 has that "something special", built in.

About the RE-27, its a good mic too - but...

The 3 contour switches make it appear as if you can achieve the RE-20 sound, but the truth is - you can't. The 27 either sounds slightly forced at the top with a sucked out mid-range, or just plain dull. The extra output with the new magnet is nice, but I have a good mic pre and it even has a gain knob on the front! As for the shiny looks of the 27, I could care less, hey - this is radio folks!

This boils down to the signature sound of the RE-20, a sound i like vs. the RE-27, which could have been one of any number of microphones.

YOU have to like the sound in the end. If your ears are good enough to hear differences, then YOU be the judge. Remember one thing, audio as in weather forecasting - it's mostly "grey"!

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Post by Voodoo Guru »

50KW Hit it on the head.

There is a low end resonance from the RE20 that no other dynamic mic has. Not only does it have that smooth low to mid range lushness, it has a jenesequa that sets it apart from all the other dynamic mics I have used. The highs are very clean and natural on the RE20, whereas the RE27 sounds forced and grainy to me.

Just remember, Audio is purely subjective, it's different for everyone, this is just how we hear it.

Yes, the gain is a little low, but like 50KW said, that's what a Mic Pre is for.

Take Care,
Voodoo Guru
From Deep in the IDD of the Sub-Harmonix Realm