Adjusting da Highs

The essence of Perfection. What is it that makes that Surreal Sound?
XLAXX
Voodoo Audio Head

Adjusting da Highs

Post by XLAXX »

I was wondering if some of you that have the TS-870 could assist me with reducing the distortion I am hearing with my higher frequencies. The distortion is not all that bad but I can hear it thru the Sonys. I have adjusted the gain and volume controls a bit on the Bellari pre-amp and this did help some,... but the brillance and clarity is not all there which I had expected.

I am using a reputable dynamic mic AND a condensor mic too. I have the modded EX-3200 too, which is pretty cool sounding.

Can someone please provide some frequencies that I can adjust on the high end using a DEQ-2496 to reduce and boost the brilliance without causing distortion?

Thanks

XLAXX

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Post by Voodoo Guru »

Howdy XLAXX,
This could be caused by several reasons.
1st, more then likely it is just sibilance. In order to control this you need a compressor. Just adjusting the high frequencies with the EQ will not be enough.
2nd is a phenomena that Greg, W5UDX calls the '870 Splat'. Once you have tried to reduce as much sibilance as possible with the EQ adjusting and the compressor settings, this is a result of trying to push too many high frequencies into the Front mic Jack of the TS-870. The ultimate fix for this is to do the C131 modification and feed the Line Level Audio into the rear of the 870 via the ACC2 jack.
Both of these issues have been discussed in great detail in past threads, so run a search and find out as much as you can, then ask all the questions you would like.
Take Care,
Voodoo Guru
From Deep in the IDD of the Sub-Harmonix Realm

XLAXX
Voodoo Audio Head

Post by XLAXX »

OK, tnx Voodoo Guru.

I DO have the audio being fed via the ACC2 rear end of the 870.

I think I am experiencing the dreaded 'splat thing' you describe on the high end with the 870.

I adjusted the EQ on the DEQ 2496 and rounded off some of the highs. Fairly difficult to achieve a nice balance and clarity. However, the low end is definitely there.

I tried both the RE-20 and AT-2020 to see which mic might provide some more presence,... and ironically, the condenser mic sounded a bit better than the RE-20 but the RE-20 was smoother sounding too. Not as harsh.

BTW,... the EX-3200 does sound great to my ears thru the cans. Pretty cool modification and it does work.

Damn, 870,... just doesn't move out on the high end like other rigs. I am a bit disappointed.

XLAXX

XLAXX
Voodoo Audio Head

Post by XLAXX »

I did notice that there were a few comments about the 2496 not being able to control the highs very well (described as tearing) when compared to another piece of Behringer gear,... I think it was the 1124?
Would it benefit me to swap out the DEQ 2496 to another unit?

XLAXX

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Post by Voodoo Guru »

The 870 is a different animal when it comes to Voodoo.
It will pass the Low Frequencies with no problem, but when it comes to balancing the high frequencies to the amount of Low Frequencies that most people want to run, that's where you run into problems.

The DSP limits the upper Bandwidth to about 3kc, and the 870 requires allot of 'push' to get the high frequencies thru the DSP bandwidth limit up to around 4kc. In order to do this you need a Parametric EQ that can narrow the Bandwidth of the EQ Filters sufficiently. The DEQ2496 just can't do it good enough. That's why most people use the DSP1124 Feedback Destroyer.

The next thing you need is a good compressor to control the high frequencies. With out the compressor, and the correct adjustments your screwed, you will have the 870 splat no matter what you do.

One thing you might be able to do without the above equipment is this, Change the Menu setting of the Low Frequency Cutoff from '0' to '100'. This will extend the TX Bandwidth up in frequency and might balance your audio better. The only thing is that you will loose some of the extreme low end, but its better then being muffled and unbalanced.

Try that and see.
Voodoo Guru
From Deep in the IDD of the Sub-Harmonix Realm

!KANT
Voodoo Audio Crew Moderator

Post by !KANT »

Hi there Laxx. Guru is quite correct with the suggestion of selecting 100 instead of 0. There will be a little sacrafice on the low end, but its worth it. So, I have yet to hear any '870 with the 2496 achieve extended high frequencies beyond 3.7kHz. I still utilize the use of the DSP1124P and a MDX1400 compressor/limiter.

Using the same Basic-8 while feeding the front mix jack, I'm quite easily achieving 4.5kHz with low end extending just below 50Hz--the EX3200 or RP562 makes up for the minor low end loss.

I've pushed this '870 to 5.2kHz, BUT at a HUGE sacrafice to the low end--bandwidth 200-3000. The low end processing was extreme...and painful, LOL!! The key to increasing that top end is to have proper DYNAMIC control.

OzMan, N2QN

XLAXX
Voodoo Audio Head

Post by XLAXX »

OzMan-
I am beside myself that I have been graced by your presence here on the forum! ~ ;) > aaaahhhh!

A couple of questions,...

- What are the settings on the DSP-1124P that you would suggest I try first, as you are the 870 guru on this forum?

- I could 'ebay' the DEQ2496,... can I use the DEQ 2496 for the compressor/limiter section of the audio chain?,... instead of purchasing the MDX1400 compressor?

- Changing gears here,.... would you suggest the purchase of an osciliscope? (I noted your bio pics),... can you suggest a reasonably priced and reliable one? I see loads of them at hamfests but am EXTREMELY edgy about their calibration and performance as there are so many on the market and do not want to get burned.

- What kind of perfomance are you seeing from your AL-80A? Did you use sticky-notes on the face of your amp to mark your settings? Nothing sticks to the face of the TL-922A amps,... any suggestions as to not mar-up the faceplate on the amp?

Thank you and sorry for the '20' questions. Looking forward to your answers.

XLAXX

XLAXX
Voodoo Audio Head

Post by XLAXX »

Since no replies as of yet,... I am wondering what the 'general' settings would be on the 1124P and MDX1400 if I take out the DEQ2496?,... again am using the 870. Thanks XLAXX

XLAXX
Voodoo Audio Head

Post by XLAXX »

*bump