FT-840 Modifications

Force them Rigs to accept True Voodoo!
sh450
Audio Head

FT-840 mods?

Post by sh450 »

This is my first post on the forum, so I will start by saying hello to everyone. I've been doing a lot of reading here but just now getting around to posting. I saw mention of the Yaesu FT-840 here, and I would like to find out what mods can be done to open up the audio. And where it will end up on Tx/Rx. Thanks in advance for any info you can share on this radio.

!KANT
Voodoo Audio Crew Moderator

Post by !KANT »

Hi and gratz on your first post!!

You may have seen the FT-840 mentioned in a recent post. I was mentioning John (WO2D) and his modified '840. I have a few over the air recordings of him on that 840 and I will tell you, they do so much justice to show that with time, patience, dedication and know-how the FT-840 can be mind blowing. 

Of course there were component and filter changes and the BM was fed directly. He even made changes for the receiver. If you would like I can forward an archived recording to ya. Not sure if John is still active, but it may not hurt to find out and get some info on these mods (if he still kept notes on them).  

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Post by Voodoo Guru »

Thanks for the Info !kant.

As far as we know sh450, that would be your best bet as we have not seen any other source for mod data on the FT-840.

Take Care,
Voodoo Guru
From Deep in the IDD of the Sub-Harmonix Realm

sh450
Audio Head

FT-840

Post by sh450 »

Thanks for the welcome, and the responses.

I would like to here that 840 in action if you don't mind. I'll PM my e-mail to you !KANT.

I've already learned a s-load from stumbling across these VooDoo pages and the links to and from them. It definitely gives you something to do during the cold, boring winter.

Catch ya later!
Alright... How does this sound?

!KANT
Voodoo Audio Crew Moderator

Post by !KANT »

4 Minute file of John has been forwarded... :wink:

sh450
Audio Head

FT-840

Post by sh450 »

Thanks for the clip. That is some surprisingly good audio out of that little Yaesu. Very natural and unforced. I'm sure the list of mods would go beyond what I'd want to deal with on one of those. Very cool though.
Alright... How does this sound?

kd2nfc
Audio Head

Post by kd2nfc »

would like to bring this post back to life. is there a modification somewhere for 6khz ssb on the the ft-840?

PD9CN
Voodoo Audio Head

Post by PD9CN »

+ One more!

I like also to have some more information about this FT-870 6Khz modification!