TS-850/DSP-100 setup HELP!!

Force them Rigs to accept True Voodoo!
w4bss
Audio Head

TS-850/DSP-100 setup HELP!!

Post by w4bss »

Hello to all the VOODOO Gods! Please excuse my dumbness if I ask a crazy question or if I posted this in the wrong section. I have been reading & studying on how to utilize my TS-850/DSP-100 the Voodoo way.

A few Questions about the TS-850 & DSP-100 If you have the time????

#1. I have performed the "Power on Mod" for the TX filters. Now Do I turn off the 455 sections and only use the 8.83 section to change my TX bandwidth? Or do I use both 455 & 8.83 sections to control TX bandwidth?

#2. What is the correct DSP-100 Dip Switch configuration? I have been told "All ON" except 1, 8, 9. Then I was told "All ON" except 1, 6, 7? This part I need help on.

#3. While using the DSP-100 do I need to change my "Carrier Set Point" on the radio? Or does the DSP control that?

Thanks for your time guys!
73S
Brandon
W4BSS

BillPaul
Digital Voodoo Guru

Post by BillPaul »

1) For TX in SSB modes, I don't think you need to bypass the 455Khz filter when you have the DSP unit on. The DSP unit is effectively doing the 1st IF filtering for you (the balanced modulator isn't used). You do want to put the 8.83Mhz filter in the bypass position (that filter is used both with an without the DSP-100 enabled). Note: you can always listen to yourself in the monitor to tell when you've got things wide open.

2) I'm pretty sure setting switches 1, 8 and 9 off (all others on) is correct. Switch 1 disengages the LPF, switches 8 and 9 disengage the HPF. Once you have these switches turned off, the knobs on the front of the DSP-100 won't have any effect. (The DSP-100 will always operating in max bandwidth mode.)

3) No, you do _NOT_ need to change the carrier point settings if you use the DSP-100. The carrier point settings only have meaning when you're using the rig in analog mode (i.e. with the DSP-100 off/unplugged).

Without the DSP-100, the TS-850 uses a balanced modulator for SSB and AM TX. The carrier point settings are used to adjust the input carrier frequency fed to the balanced modulator, so the desired sideband coming out of the balanced modulator falls in the center of the 2.7KHz filters.

But with the DSP-100 turned on, your SSB modulation, carrier suppression and alternate sideband suppression is done entirely by the DSP unit. Everything is done in software.

If you modify an analog only rig to do ESSB, you would need to change out the standard 2.7KHz filters with wider ones, and in that case you would need to re-adjust the carrier point settings since the new filters would have a different center point in their passbands, but with the DSP unit it's all done with software. Using the DSP also means the filtering is a lot sharper than you could get with traditional analog filters.

-Bill, N1GPT

w4bss
Audio Head

Post by w4bss »

Thanks Bill, you have been a big help!

73s
Brandon
W4BSS