TC Electronic Triple C mod

Force them Rigs to accept True Voodoo!
ECC82
Voodoo Audiophile

TC Electronic Triple C mod

Post by ECC82 »

Thanks for the helpful information in modding the Triple C on this website. Just bought one on the internet, hope it will arrive soon. Want to modificate the C and order the parts from DigiKey. On the mod page it says:

UPDATE 8-20-09:
Due to several failures of several Electrolytic Caps in the switching power supply of the Triple-C, Voodoo-LABS now changes ALL of the Caps in the power supply to the Panasonic FC series.
Unfortunately, we do not have a list of them for you at this time, but Digikey stocks all the values that are needed.

Since I want to order all the components from DigiKey in one go and do not yet have the Triple C on the table: does anyone know what the part numbers (and qty) are for the caps to replace in the power supply? Tnx in advance for your help.
===================
>> Livin' la VooDoo Loca <<
===================

ECC82
Voodoo Audiophile

Post by ECC82 »

To whom it may concern:

Electrolytic Caps in the switching power supply of the Triple-C:
C10: 22 uF, 400 volts;
C16: 220uF, 25 volts;
C17: 100 uF, 25 volts;
C19: 1000 uF, 6,3 volts;
C20: 470 uF, 6,3 volts;
C21: 1 uF, 50 volts;
C22: 220 uF, 25 volts;
C23: 100 uF, 25 volts;
C24: 470 uF, 10 volts;
C25: 220 uF, 10 volts.
===================
===================

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Ripple

Post by Voodoo Guru »

Thanks for the Post on the Caps in the Power Supply ECC82!
That will be very helpful in the future.

One word of importance for you...

The 22uF, 400V Cap (C10) needs to be a Long Life, High Ripple capacitor.
This is due to the high voltage amplitude of the switcher it sees all the time.
We usually use a Panasonic EE Series capacitor for this purpose.
If you do not use one like this it will surely fail after time.

Good Luck!
Voodoo Guru
From Deep in the IDD of the Sub-Harmonix Realm

ECC82
Voodoo Audiophile

Post by ECC82 »

OK, thanks for the info Voodoo Guru, I already bought/placed the C's, but if the C10 gives up, I will replace it with the C you mentioned.

The adventure so far:
Bought the Triple C from a local FM pirate station that stopped because the fines were getting to high for him. He told me that the unit sometimes froze, internet learned that the C(10) on the power supply was the blame. It was a bit bulged at the top, just as described on the internet. Didn't pay much for the Triple C, aprox 100 dollars. It looks as new. But it needed repair so I decided to go all the way and do the VooDoo modifications as well.

I bought the components in a local electronics shop, bought the OpAmps earlier at DigiKey and luckily bought 10 OpAmps more than needed at that time.

Only had a soldering gun, perfect for coax but a bit overkill for these boards, so bought a simple soldering station for this job.
Started with replacing the C's on the power supply, that went OK. Followed the clear instructions on this web site. When I started on the main board I discovered that it is a double sided board, so contacts on back and front, never worked with that before. I'm old skool (old kindergarten more likely HI) and more into SSB (Single Sided Boards), but since I said A I had to go on. Getting the old solder out of the holes on the board was a hard task and I was afraid to burn the other components if I applied heath for to long. Wick braid worked better than a sucker.

Finished the job this afternoon. I plugged it in to the mains and than that terrifying moment: push the on/off button. To my amazement there was no smoke appearing and the display functioned as it did before. Hooked it up to the audio chain and IT WORKS!! Wow, to be honest that was not what I had expected. It is a stereo unit and both channels are working fine. I hadn't tried the audio with the old components but I certainly like what I'm hearing with the new components.

Thanks for the detailed info on this website, the photo's and descriptions pulled me through.

Chris
PA3TVI
===================
===================

ECC82
Voodoo Audiophile

Re: Ripple

Post by ECC82 »

Voodoo Guru wrote:One word of importance for you...

The 22uF, 400V Cap (C10) needs to be a Long Life, High Ripple capacitor.
This is due to the high voltage amplitude of the switcher it sees all the time.
We usually use a Panasonic EE Series capacitor for this purpose.
If you do not use one like this it will surely fail after time.

Good Luck!
Well, seems your prediction was right. Triple C is down at the moment and remembered your advice. When Christmas is over I will try to find this Long Life, High Ripple capacitor in my local electronics shop.
Edit: well, item ordered, hope that this will bring the Triple C back to life.
https://industrial.panasonic.com/www-da ... 0CE113.pdf
===================
===================

!KANT
Voodoo Audio Crew Moderator

Post by !KANT »

Still, congratulations on a job well done!! 8)

ECC82
Voodoo Audiophile

Post by ECC82 »

Tnx for the flowers !Kant, replaced the cap and it looks like the problem is solved, Phew. 8)
===================
===================