TS870S Cap (C131) mod one more and last time ;-))

Force them Rigs to accept True Voodoo!
JJ2013
Voodoo Audiophile

TS870S Cap (C131) mod one more and last time ;-))

Post by JJ2013 »

Hi y'all Voodoo Gurus and Audio Heads,

I was discussing the cap mod with a friend of mine who is also a ham and a very good design engineer. He made the following comments (below) and I would be very glad is you could provide feedback before I do my mod this coming week! He doesn't recommend a 4.7uF ceramic cap due to issues that he is describing below. So, that may explain why LA4WAA had put in a electrolytic capacitor.......

Comments/advice provided by my friend:
"There is the additional problem of the fact that these ceramic caps are good microphones, and the higher the value, the more sensitive they are. You are asking for problems with things like fan bearing rumble if you go too low. I can get 4.7 uF surface mount parts that will fit in the hole, but I really don't recommend it. We can parallel a leaded electrolytic as he has done. I probably even have some suitable parts, but we're back to gluing a leaded part into place."

So, has everyone who's done this cap mod on the TS870S put in an ELECTROLYTIC as opposed to a CERAMIC CAP?

Awaiting your responses : ))

JJ
NI2M

JJ2013
Voodoo Audiophile

Re: TS870S Cap (C131) mod one more and last time ;-))

Post by JJ2013 »

Perhaps one could use a tantalum or silver-mica cap instead if these caps come in the 4.7uF value? I am just thinking that an electrolytic is prone to leaks........