Ts-570d

Force them Rigs to accept True Voodoo!
9m2ody
Audio Head

Ts-570d

Post by 9m2ody »

Hi There,

At my shack, i have 2 radio : IC-718 & Ts-570d..
I have looked for IC718 mod Inrad filter but not yet done it..
But now i'm was thinking about Ts-570d, Any idea how to make this radio accept ESSB? hope can get +ve feedback from all of you out there..

Thanks,

Ody

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Post by Voodoo Guru »

Howdy Ody,

Unfortunately, we have no had any dealings with either of those transceivers.
Anyone else out there played any Voodoo on these rigs??
Voodoo Guru
From Deep in the IDD of the Sub-Harmonix Realm

SawzAll
Voodoo Audiophile

Post by SawzAll »

As a Ham n00b and as a newer member on this forum, I firmly maintain the right to be wrong . . .

Having said that, I have owned the IC-718 and made a modest attempt to get it to be more than 'low-fi' ESSB (3.5khz wide or less). I used a Behringer Ultra Gain pro through the mic input using a Heil cable. I also used a Shure SM-57 with only modest improvements.

The radios native band filter is good for 3khz wide. These filters aren't true 'brick wall' filtering. They will decay with a downward slope and then effectively shutting off at/around 3.5. Choose a nice mic and one that you can afford. The better mic makes the best improvements in TX audio. SO does having a parametric or graphic EQ before it reaches the radio input. This will provide the maximum use of your radio's potential - IMO . . .

One can go through the 13 pin ACC2 port and bypass this radio's native mic preamp, in order to gain access directly to the balance modulator. Reason being, that the built-in preamp will impose low frequency info restrictions. I would take this route if I was to use any other radio as well.

I did not take this course with the IC-718, but having recently done the ACC2 port access on my Kenwood TS-2000 and found it a noticeable and useful change for the better. I would recommend this route, as using any outboard gear with a quality mic will still be worthwhile for better transmit audio. I always enjoy it when others do what they can to improve transmitted audio; as the listeners are often grateful beneficiaries.

I don't know about your Kenwood; but I have yet to hear one that I didn't like. The ACC2 port is also on this one too; you will need to buy a 13 pin plug. They can be found on eBay for ~$6 including shipping. You will need to find the pin out for the ACC2 plug; not a major problem at all. It will also have the PTT pin outs there as well. Best to use slide-on terminals to attach to the 13 pin plug, along with some shrink tubing on each slide-on terminal to keep shorting from inside the plug. This situation will allow for using a foot switch if you desire. I would also recommend the use of Mogami or Canare cable, as this is best to shield unwanted RFI and removing the likelihood of feedback loops - especially if you run any power from your station.

hope that helped some . . .

!KANT
Voodoo Audio Crew Moderator

Post by !KANT »

SawzAll wrote:As a Ham n00b and as a newer member on this forum, I firmly maintain the right to be wrong . . .
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

aseecobra
Audio Head

Post by aseecobra »

Regarding the 570, it can go 3K on TX through the front mic connector with an IF filter change. Get a 3 kHz filter from Kenwood parts. YK-88S2 pn L71-0235-05. The BW can go a little wider through the rear data input but a series cap will need to be made larger.

I ran a modded 570 for almost a decade and the number one question asked was "are you on a 870?".
70 Turds,

Chris

AC8DC

!KANT
Voodoo Audio Crew Moderator

Post by !KANT »

aseecobra wrote:I ran a modded 570 for almost a decade and the number one question asked was "are you on a 870?".
Do you have any over the air recordings of yourself??--would love to hear a modded 570 (which tempts inquiries of it sounding like an '870). :twisted:

aseecobra
Audio Head

Post by aseecobra »

Sorry, I don't.
70 Turds,

Chris

AC8DC

tbd
Voodoo Audio Head

Post by tbd »

I've heard about this filter mod in the Kenwood TS 570 but can't find
The info in the web, does anyone know where can I find this info. ?

Thanks

TBD

aseecobra
Audio Head

Post by aseecobra »

There isn't a "TS-570 filter change for dummies" anywhere on the net that I know of.

Here is what you need to do:

1. Desolder the 2.4Khz crystal filter XF3 from the TX-RX board

2. Solder in YK-88S2 pn L71-0235-05 3Khz filter. (A Kenwood 2.7K or Inrad 2.8K will also work well. The Inrad will have wired in using jumpers.)

3. Do a carrier offset and suppression alignment per the service manual.
70 Turds,

Chris

AC8DC

tbd
Voodoo Audio Head

Post by tbd »

Thank You Chris, I will do that and let you know how it goes. :D

tbd
Voodoo Audio Head

Help

Post by tbd »

Chris sorry to bother you again, the carrier offset and suppression alignment
procedure, did you did it by the hidden menu or inside the radio ?
cuz if it's inside the radio then a freq generator and scope is needed

Thanks