TS-870S - How do I get that voodoo sound?

Hookin up those Audio Boxes without gettin yourself Perplexed.
Steve
Audio Head

TS-870S - How do I get that voodoo sound?

Post by Steve »

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on the forum (so be gentle!) :?

I'm running a TS-870S (Serial # 40400*****) with a Heil PR-40 & W2IHY 8 band EQ & EQ plus.

Question is, would I get a wider TX using the DSP1124 (I think that's the one - the parametric EQ & feeback detroyer?) & would I need to use a mic pre-amp with it? :?:

Also, am I correct in thinking that the earlier TS-870S has a slightly wider TX than the later models & how do I know which one I've got? :?:

Any advise would be very much appreciated - oh, by the way, it's good to see the pioneering spirit is still alive & kicking over the there! 8)

Steve :wink:

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Wider?

Post by Voodoo Guru »

Howdy Steve!
Welcome to the Voodoo Forum.

Great on the 870, thats a very nice audio rig.
We think the 40 million is a 2002 model?
We've heard people trying to make them goto 4kc on models over a 2000 model with no success.
But, we've also heard of people making it work.
We have a 2000 (10 million) model here and it works fine to 4kc.

Yes it is the DSP1124P, feedback destroyer.
But it is VERY difficult to get it set up correctly.
We don't think you will be able to do it with the equipment you are presently running.
You must use allot of high frequency filters to push the DSP envelope out past 3.2kc to 4kc.
Doing this presents two problems.

#1 - You will have a severe tendency to "Tear" on the sibilance of the highs. This must be stopped by using a very good compressor.

#2 - The 1124 has no limiters in it. This results in lots and lots of digital distortion if the input signal level is too high.
Since the highs are being boosted to an extreme amount, the input must be lowered to around -24db so the output level will be below -3db.
This presents its own problems.
First, the lows and mids audio level are reduced a large amount by doing this, the compressor must be good enough to be able to compress the highs enough to remove the "tearing" but to be able to make up the gain enough for input into the TS-870.
Second, the 1124 is a weird animal, it does not like our Bellari equipment.
It makes the audio tone different and muffled when placed directly before or after any Bellari piece of gear.
We must separate the 1124 with mixers on the input and outputs. This also gives us gain control for the 1124.

Now for the clincher.....
We feel that it will be impossible to make the TS-870 go out to 4.2kc cleanly by feeding audio into the front mic jack.
There is just too much High Frequency distortion introduced into the mix from the Mic Amplifier in the TS-870.
Greg, W5UDX calls it the 870 SPLAT.
The best way is too go into the rear ACC2 jack of the TS-870 after changing the C131 capacitor on the internal circuit boards to pass the low frequencies.
This will bypass the Mic Amplifier and allow you to feed Line level audio directly to the rig.

Sounds difficult?
Yes, it is a challenge. But it can be done.
Best thing is to just get the best sound with what you have now.
You have the capability to get the best sounding audio in your bandwidth then most with what you have right now!
OK Steve, hope this helps.
Take Care,
Last edited by Voodoo Guru on Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Voodoo Guru
From Deep in the IDD of the Sub-Harmonix Realm

Steve
Audio Head

Post by Steve »

8) Thanks for the information Mike,

I think I'll take the advise and run the audio into the back ACC2 & when I get bored I think I'll start looking for a TS850S/DSP100 combo - I do like the 870s audio but I think I got a voooooodoo spell on me now! :twisted:

:D The Heil PR-40 works really well for me on the 870S - it's sweeeeeet as a nut - much better than the Behringer B2 which was far too sensitive (it could hear a mozzy fart from three miles away) and the lacked off-axis rejection of the Heil, even though it had a cardiod pattern.

Anyway, that's enough yakity yak for now - I got to go and make some noise! :wink:

Thanks again.

Steve

!KANT
Voodoo Audio Crew Moderator

Re: TS-870S - How do I get that voodoo sound?

Post by !KANT »

Steve wrote:Hi everyone,

This is my first post on the forum (so be gentle!) :?
Never!!!!! :twisted:

Steve wrote: Question is, would I get a wider TX using the DSP1124 (I think that's the one - the parametric EQ & feeback detroyer?) & would I need to use a mic pre-amp with it? :?:

YES and YES.... 8)

Steve wrote: Also, am I correct in thinking that the earlier TS-870S has a slightly wider TX than the later models & how do I know which one I've got? :?:
No.... The guys who couldn't get past 3.4KHz were using the DEQ2496 and had tremendous tearing. You will have more of an advantage with using and DSP1124 and a compressor / limiter [to tame your high frequency content]. And Mike is correct. Going through the ACC will provide you with more headroom--which is always better [xcept during sexual activity :roll: ] :wink:

Fullwave
Audio Head

Post by Fullwave »

New member. Have been a long time lurker. I've been intently watching the conversations around the TS-870S as I just sprung for one. I think it will go well with my PR-40 mic from what I read hear. Only other audio equipment at this time is the W2IHY EQ Plus. Had the 8 Band EQ but sold that to afford the TS-870S.
Introductions out of the way, the reason I'm posting here is I've read a lot of questions about the TS-870S serial numbering and found what appears to be the key to the numbers and dates. It came from a very reliable source so thought I'd share it. By the way, the 870 I purchased carries a 90 mil serial number. Here goes. Hope it's helpful:
TS-870S Serial Numbers
1996-70 mil
1997-80 mil
1998-90 mil
1999-00 mil
2000-10 mil
2001-20 mil
2002-30 mil
2003-40 mil
2004-50 mil
Late 2004-early 2005 60 mil last production run. Early models 701XXXXX thru 806xxxxx had problems and any s/n after these runs have all the latest updates. There were some factory refurbs that failed final inspection at time of mfg. They had S/N of 90 mil and 00 mil sold by dealers in 2002 and 2003.
*** The easy way to remember is 6-7 , 7-8 , 8-9 , 9-0 , 0-1 , 1-2 , 2-3 , 3-4 and 4-5 , see how that works? (backwards 70 is 1996 , 80 is 1997 and so on) ***

Fullwave

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Post by Voodoo Guru »

Howdy Fullwave!!!
Glad to see ya on the forum!
Hope all your answers can be questioned....hehehehe!
Thanks for the Serial info, That will sure come in handy.
For some reason it is rather difficult to find for the 870s.
Again, Glad to have ya here!!!
God Bless,
Voodoo Guru
From Deep in the IDD of the Sub-Harmonix Realm

Fullwave
Audio Head

Post by Fullwave »

Thanks for the howdy! Always enjoyed the reading and glad to make a contribution. I usually don't post unless I have something to say.
Fedex has my 870 and it's scheduled to be here on the 17th. In the meantime I'm going to work on building up my nerve to do the C131 mod. Hands aren't as steady as they used to be. :)

!KANT
Voodoo Audio Crew Moderator

Post by !KANT »

FULLwave, was a SPECTATOR but has become INTERACTIVE!!!! It's great to still have people in interest in ESSB Audio [let alone VooDoo Audio]. You'll enjoy that '870 and it will open a new world of ESSB SOUND to you....believe me--even atmopheric sounds will sound different. :wink:

**Hope the bands get better soon to be able to hear ya...[assuming I don't sell all my shyt from shear bordom]**

Fullwave
Audio Head

Post by Fullwave »

Hehe. Thanks. Yeah, I know I'm no where near VooDoo as of yet but like any good house you have to start from the foundation. The 870 and the PR40 isn't a shaby start. I also have a W2IHY EQ Plus that I'm using for now that I used previously with an Icom radio that needed a little kick in the butt to get the PR40 to work but now th eIcom has been relegated to a box in the corner. One step at a time and listen to the "masters". :D
Fullwave