Multi-band processors!!

Hookin up those Audio Boxes without gettin yourself Perplexed.
JJ2013
Voodoo Audiophile

Multi-band processors!!

Post by JJ2013 »

Hi ya'll Audio Heads and VooDoo Gurus!

Again, here's my audio chain:

TS870S (audio fed in through ACC2 on back panel)
JENSEN ISO-MAX (audio isolator)
MDX2600
EX3200
1124P
MIC2200
PR-40 mic

Been reading/rereading comments related to the equipment above. It seems that many recommend that I have a MULTI-band processor after EX3200 to compensate for some of the low/high end boosts etc., "Splat," tearing" of the highs etc.

Am I correct in assuming that I should get myself a MULTI-band compressor to help compensate? It seems that "tearing" in particular may end up causing major issue unless I have a high quality (MULTI-band) processor!! Now, from I can tell, the MDX2600 is NOT a MULTI-band processor!! Strangely enough as most modern rigs have the capability to process at least three frequency bands, lows, mids and highs separately. I am not comparing apples to apples here as I also have a pretty good audio rack I believe.

Let me know if a MULTI-band processor would be important and if so, would you have any recommendations (I would like to go with Behringer as all I have now is from them)?

Many of the VooDoo crew seem to say that a good quality compressor is really important unless I am completely off base!

Look forward to some sound feedback!

73 de JJ
NI2M

Sure appreciate hearing from you!

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Post by Voodoo Guru »

Howdy JJ,

You have a great set up as it is now and should be able to get some really sweet audio from it.

Multi-band Processing is an entirely different process of mixing the audio. Multi-Band Compression is just one aspect of Multi-band Processing.

We would say play around with the line up you have now for a while and get comfortable with it... find your "sweet spots" and then maybe think about upgrading. In the mean time you can be researching and learning about the nuances of Multi-band Processing as that is the next evolution.

The compressor you have now will do a great job of eliminating any type of sibilance or tearing from your audio mix.

Here is a link explaining Multi-band Compression...

http://www.wz5q.net/index/rack_data/multiband.htm

Take Care,
Voodoo Guru
From Deep in the IDD of the Sub-Harmonix Realm

JJ2013
Voodoo Audiophile

Multi-band processors!!

Post by JJ2013 »

Hello VooDoo Guru,

As always, you come back with sound advice and I really appreciate it!

Will play around and get my audio to sound as sweet as feasible while researching multi-band processing.

Best 73s de JJ
NI2M