ALC going crazy using audio rack and TS870S!

Hookin up those Audio Boxes without gettin yourself Perplexed.
JJ2013
Voodoo Audiophile

Post by JJ2013 »

Hi ya'll,

Just out of the gate, trying to get my audio rack to work for me. Settings for the equipment I have gleaned by reading through postings on this forum and other web sites of the VooDoo Crew :-)

Kenwood TS870S
Audio fed in through
ACC2 on Back of TS870s

JENSEN ISO-MAX(Audio isolator)
Composer Pro-XL Compressor
Ultrafex EX3200 Harmonics Processor
Feedback Destroyer PRO DSP1124P
Ultragain Pro MIC Pre-Amp 2200
Heil Sound PR-40

Obseravations:
ALC behaves OK when I switch the 1124P out, but when it is on, ALC goes nuts! It would seem that the 1124P settings aren't even close to where they should be.

I know that some of you have spent 100s of hours getting this right and I shouldn't be jumping to any conclusions, but I should would value feedback, suggestions, recommendations from you and especially guys with TS870S.

Awaiting a salvo of great suggestions ;-)

Cheers,
JJ
NI2M

JJ2013
Voodoo Audiophile

Post by JJ2013 »

What is the recommended level that the different pieces in the audio rack are connected at? -10dBV or +4 dBu? Is -10 dBV what is often alluded to as "line leve" on this forum (the Behringer manual calls this level "home recording level")? Behringer calls the +4 dBu level "studio level."

Sure would appreciate this clarification after which I will set to work to get me settings correct.

73 de JJ

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Post by Voodoo Guru »

Howdy JJ,

You have kind of answered your own question there, It is a matter of the gain structure of your Audio Rack and how hard you are hitting the input of the TS-870.

Anytime you change the EQ Gains you will be changing the level of the output gain to the next piece in the Audio line up and it will need to be compensated.

Also, anytime you change the gain structure before the compressor, the compressor will have to be tweaked again. It is always a balancing act.

This is why it is important to have some sort of gain control (Output gain control of last rack unit or a mixer) between the last rack piece and the isolation transformer before the input of the Rig. The way you have your rack lined up, you should have an output gain control on the compressor to serve this function.

+4dBu is normally used with Professional Audio Gear.

Sometimes some creative "out of the box" thinking will deviate from this rule to fix the occasional Gain Structure Issue, but normally it is left at +4dBu.

Take Care,
Voodoo Guru
From Deep in the IDD of the Sub-Harmonix Realm