Stressing trying to get this started...

Hookin up those Audio Boxes without gettin yourself Perplexed.
lexmedic157
Audio Head

Stressing trying to get this started...

Post by lexmedic157 »

So I started out a little bit incorrectly (maybe) and it's stressing me out. I have a TS-2000 and bought a Behringer Q802USB. I know, I know, should have just started with a Mic2200 and then got the rest of it...

But none the less, it's what I have so far. I have fooled with the gains, the levels and I can't seem to get much output (as far as signal strength out) without the ALC and the S meter maxing out causing tons of distortion. I have a Heil 781 into the XLR 1 port, and TRS cables everwhere else.

At the suggestion of one of your compatriots I purchased a HD400 and have that in line too. I even got a HOSA ATT-448 pad just in case.

I just can't seem to get this thing all together correctly. Have tried adjusting mic gain, every knob on the mixer, and have basically get everything to all the way left and slowly increased each part and still have problems.

What am I missing? I'm sure I will get all of the regular ESSB rack items in the future, just trying to get one thing working at this point and haven't been too successful.

Thanks,
K4WHE

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Post by Voodoo Guru »

Howdy,
Welcome to the forum!!

Not knowing how you have everything connected, or wired...

we're guessing your using the front mic jack of the rig?

If that is the case, and if you have everything adjusted to the left on the mixer and you're just barley increasing the gains with the result of slamming the ALC and Power meters on the rig, then it sounds like you need to reduce the gain level from Line Level to Mic Level going into the Front Mic Jack of the rig.

The Attenuator should help with this if placed between the Mic Jack and the last rack piece. Try the 40db position first and see how your Mixer Gain to Mic Gain/ALC levels are working together and adjust accordingly.

Don't forget the correct wiring from the Attenuator XLR Balanced output to the Unbalanced Input of the Mic Jack. This is described in other posts of the forum.

Good Luck,
Voodoo Guru
From Deep in the IDD of the Sub-Harmonix Realm

lexmedic157
Audio Head

Post by lexmedic157 »

So I did a couple changes. I replaced the cable I had going out of the mixer from a TRS cable to a TS cable. It goes into the HD400 and the output has the Heil cable with a XLS to TS adapter. I also put in the attenuator at 20dB setting. It doesn't seem to matter what setting it's on, 20, 30 or 40dB I have to readjust the gain to see deflection on the S-meter, but when I do that I seem to get distortion back on the 80m band. All the other bands seem to be ok, but not sure why it's like that on 80.

The Heil cable goes into the front of the radio into the mic jack. I have adjusted the mic gain as well to see if I get any less distortion but all it seems to do is drop the output of the signal. I even tried turning off all the TS-2000 TX EQ and it still doesn't make much of a difference. I don't seem to be getting any more pegging of the ALC or anything, just can't seem to get rid of the audio distortion.

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Post by Voodoo Guru »

Howdy,

If 80m is the only band your having a problem with, it sounds like your getting RFI into the Audio on while TX'ing on 80m.
Are you getting the distortion while transmitting into the Dummy Load?
Voodoo Guru

lexmedic157
Audio Head

Post by lexmedic157 »

I don't own a dummy load. Suggestions?

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Post by Voodoo Guru »

RFI is a peculiar thing and every station is different as to the cause and the solution. There are many threads on this Forum about RF in the Audio and how to remove it.

Some of the causes could be that the antenna is too close to the Shack, If your using balanced feed line you have an unbalanced condition, You don't have any type of power conditioner on the AC supplying the Audio Equipment, Your station ground could be inadequate, the interconnecting cables are inferior and/or don't have adequate shielding, just to name a few. It could also be any combination of the above.

Without a Dummy Load, you really won't be able to determine if it is truly RFI intrusion causing the distortion because you will not be able to transmit without using the antenna. You either need to erect another antenna, move the antenna you have, or get a dummy load.

Purchasing a Dummy Load is the best thing because
#1 - It is an invaluable tool for the Shack
#2 - if your going to get into playing Audio, you will be testing and fiddling with the settings ALLOT and you really don't want to be doing that over the air.

Take Care,
Voodoo Guru

lexmedic157
Audio Head

Post by lexmedic157 »

Sounds fair. I don't get the distortion if I take the mixer out of the line. Just running the Heil mic and its cable do fine even on 80. I'll have to figure out what sort of dummy load to get.

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Post by Voodoo Guru »

If the Mixer has a wall wart power supply, it could be getting in there, Try plugging it into a different circuit in the house AC separate from the 12V Power Supply for the Rig.

Or if it has a 3 prong power chord that plugs into the Wall Outlet, get a 3 Prong to 2 Prong adapter and plug that in. Sometimes lifting the chassis ground will alleviate the problem until you can get a good power conditioner.
Voodoo Guru

lexmedic157
Audio Head

Post by lexmedic157 »

Ok, let me try some of those things. Pretty sure it's a 2 prong plug on the AC wall wart. I may try and ground the chassis of the mixer to see if that helps. Thanks again.