ts-870 bandwidth question?

Hookin up those Audio Boxes without gettin yourself Perplexed.
Desmoface
Voodoo Audio Head

ts-870 bandwidth question?

Post by Desmoface »

Hey Gang, I'm at a loss...I finally got my behringer gear (mic 2200 preamp and dsp 1124) hooked into my ts-870. I talked to a gentleman that had a spectrum analyzer and he said I was only out to about 2.7k...said it fell off pretty hard at that point. He said the audio bears that out, it was lacking on the highend.

I have the following menu settings as per nu9n and others recomendations:

29 (tx bandwidth) 3000
30 (tx shift) 0

I have the 870's internal eq off.

I'm running a heil goldline pro and using a w2ihy ibox to integrate the signal into the 870. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Steve
kb8viv

!KANT
Voodoo Audio Crew Moderator

Post by !KANT »

There are some variables which may apply here. One being this gentleman and his setup--not all ops are setup correctly for spectrals. Some even forget to widen or use the proper receiver filter bandwidth when doing them. Make sure you're not using the TX EQ [menu #31]--TX EQ not lit on the front panel of the radio. You may want to also try using a TX shift of 100 instead of 0 in menu #30. Another is to try some alternative parameters with the 1124P--your EQ curve may
be an issue.

My question is, do you hear this "limited frequency response" in the monitor???

Desmoface
Voodoo Audio Head

Post by Desmoface »

Hi Ikant, thanks for the advice. I did talk to a gentleman that was running a mkv mod'ed to rcv/tx out to 6k and he said it sounded good. This is after I changed menu setting 30 to 100 (from 0). I was thinking that setting menu 30 to zero would give me a little more bandwidth, but apparently it limits the high end? It must move the bandwidth up a bit I guess?

The person that ran the spectral analysis said that his rig was a mod'ed ts-830 good out to 4k, and it did sound like it..very nice audio.

I was also fortunate enough to get some preliminary dsp-1124 settings from k4qky, Don Snodgrass that I am going to try in the 1124.

I guess this is the fun part of the hobby, experimenting with what works and what doesen't. The true spirit of amateur radio, experimentation.

Ok, thanks again for all the advice. HAPPY NEW YEARS to all!!

73's

Steve
kb8viv

!KANT
Voodoo Audio Crew Moderator

Post by !KANT »

Yes, using the 0 in menu #30 will limit your bandwidth [shift] to 3000. At 100 it's shifted to 3100. Using 200 will shift to 3200, 300 shifts to 3300 and so and so on. **Shifting to 200 or higher, you can forget about increasing lower frequencies to compensate for the lowend roll-off.....it just will not pass them.

I've used Don's settings, but tweaked them accordingly to my voice, equipment and sound I prefer. I figure you're feeding the mic input, so my Basic-9 will not work for you since it's bases on ACC input. I will go through the mic input and come up with some standard Basic-8 or 9 parameters--I've been meaning to do it anyway. :wink:

Desmoface
Voodoo Audio Head

Post by Desmoface »

Wow, thanks a lot for all the advice/help. I am feeding the rig through the mic input.

Steve
kb8viv