Kenwood MC-85 ???

Hookin up those Audio Boxes without gettin yourself Perplexed.
wa7tgt
Audio Head

Kenwood MC-85 ???

Post by wa7tgt »

I just purchased a TS870. I can't wait til it arrives. I already have a Behringer. My question is: Will I get acceptable results with the Kenwood MC-85 mic that will be coming with the radio or do I need to save for a Heil? :?:

w5kai
Voodoo Audio Head

Post by w5kai »

First off congrads on the 870,you'll love it. I didn't see which Behringer pieces you had but A Heil is not what I'd save up for,That's just me.
I ran the 870's for many years and the mic of choice in a dynamic would be the Electro voice re20. The pr40 had a bassy woffy sound that my best eq could not cure. If your look'n for a condenser mic for the 870 a rode nt1 (I ran one for 4 years)works very well without breaking the budget.
VMSDX # 24
Special Zombie Edition

wa7tgt
Audio Head

Post by wa7tgt »

Thanks a bunch. I have a lot to learn about essb. I'll probably be buggin you guys again before I get the old 870 VooDoo'd. Dang, I wish I was RICH!

wa7tgt
Audio Head

Post by wa7tgt »

I have a Behringer 802 and Ibox right now. I don't know if that is enough to get a good start. I will look into the rode nt1. I sure can't afford an re20.
Thanks again

w5kai
Voodoo Audio Head

Post by w5kai »

Hi Trapper,
Don't go to fast, the Rode nt1 is a condenser mic that will require phantom power from a mic pre amp. That's a few more bucks too.
First off read the 870 op manual and nu9n's essb website (yes) every word TWICE or more and always everything you can find here. Then you'll have a good idea what your getting into. The 870 can sound just fine to 98% of the listener on the band with the menus setup right and almost any mic. The question is how much do you want to spend on the other 2% of us. I can't believe I said that, but it's the truth. The bad part is when the 2%'ers finally tell you, you sound great the other 98% either can't wait to talk to Ya or leave the freq when they hear you. Hope this helps.
VMSDX # 24
Special Zombie Edition

SawzAll
Voodoo Audiophile

Post by SawzAll »

The 802 wouldn't be my first choice; but it will do. It has phantom power for a condenser mic. I run with the MXL condenser mics. Lotta bang fer the buck! MXL also released a new line of broadcast/dynamic mics, but I haven't tried any of them out yet.

Congrats on the 870!

Dave457
Voodoo Audio Head

Post by Dave457 »

MXL v69 sounds great with upgraded tubes, The Blue Spark mic is sweet sounding as well

w5cul
VooDoo Audio Crew

Post by w5cul »

Another Mic to consider is the Aurycle A-5500. This is a DIY tube Mic that you put together. Comes with its own phantom power supply. It is really not that difficult to put together, and after burn in, is not too bad sounding. It has a full range response, and with the stock tube, a little on the hot side. But nothing a tube roll and a couple of cap replacements can't address. The whole unit goes for ~$169 if you get the multi-pattern phantom power supply, ~$139 with the single pattern unit. It has a full bare brass casing, so you can decide how you want to colorfully violate it. The hyper-link is: www.aurycle.com
W5CUL

Live from the Texas Hill Country......VMSDX# 21