Which Rig?

Hookin up those Audio Boxes without gettin yourself Perplexed.
Desmoface
Voodoo Audio Head

Which Rig?

Post by Desmoface »

Hey gang, newbie here...I guess I've been adversely affected by the sweet audio I've been hearing on the airwaves...I now have a ts450 which I will have to replace..The question is, which radio?

I'm thinking the ts-870 is the appropriate choice, although I've always had a thing for the old ts-950sdx...Any opionions on which one of these rigs would be best for producing the highest fidelity transmitted signal??

I also have a Heil Goldline Pro, Behringer MIC 2200 and dsp 1124. I think I have the seed's planted for some sweet sounding audio..Have to find a better rig though..thanks in advance for any advice..

Steve
kb8viv

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

How the HELL are Ya?!

Post by Voodoo Guru »

Howdy Steve...How the Hell are Ya?!! :weedman:

Welcome to the Voodoooooo Forum....
Where all your Answers can be Questioned.

It is hard to beat the TS-870s.
It comes out of the box "Turn Key" for playin Audio.
No Modifications needed.
It comes with one of the Flatest Receivers on the market.
The Transmitter is pretty flat also, and can Xmit up to 4.6Kc in bandwidth on some models.

If your into modifying radios, then the following would be yer next best bets for Premo Audio.

The TS-850s with the DSP-100 is in my opinion the Best Audio Rig out there. This opinion comes from owning several 850's, but only listening to the xmitted audio from the other rigs....I have not owned them all.
One problem is of course the availability of the DSP-100. There hard to get and are worth as much as the TS-850s itself.
The other problem is all the mods that have to be done to it to get it to perform. It is all SMD (Surface mount technology).

The TS-950sdx is also a great rig.
We've got one coming this week to play with.
We've done ALLOT of ground work in the possible Modifications to this rig.
We think we'll be able to get it to Receive just as Flat as the TS-850s/DSP-100 combo.
We think we've got the Monitor Circuit Problems figured out.
We also have done allot of research on trying to get the DSP in the SDX to Transmit at 6KC wide....this is going to be the hardest thing to do, due to the required Digital Commands.
We're at a stopping point now as we need the actual rig to go any further.

There are allot of people that like the FT-1000MP after it has been modified.
They have come a long way in the modifications on that rig.
We personally just don't think they Transmit the Low End Resonance that a Kenwood does.
But for a 6Kc rig, It comes in second pick.

The SDR-1000 Flex Radio is gaining allot of popularity.
We've heard a few Transmitters that sound wonderful!
We've also heard some recordings of their Receiver capability ... WOW.
There is only two problems that we would have with it.

#1 - The Monitor Latency Problem. A delay in the Monitor for us is Totally Unacceptable. We rely on it too much. We don't want to have to rely on another Receiver to monitor our audio.

#2 - You must have a very Fast Computer to get the best performance from this rig., And it MUST have a computer to operate.
We're always playing with the audio recording programs, SpectraLab, and surfing the Web while we're yakin on the Radio. The SDR takes so much of the system resources that it slows the other programs down and makes them "Skip".
We don't have one of these rigs, So we're of course just repeating what several people have told us.
Of course two computers would solve the Problem #2.

Yes, You do have the beginnings of a some Sweet sounding audio!
The DSP1124 is a time tested, iron clad, terrific performer as an EQ.
The MIC2200 is also a great performer for a Mic Pre.
As far as the Mic goes.....ehhhhh (another opinion).
There are better performing Mics out there.
Of course we think the best Bang for the Buck and Freq. Response is the Heil PR-40.
If cash is no object than we like the RE-20.

Good Luck Steve.....
And Spread that Voodoooooooooooo!!!!! :supz:
Last edited by Voodoo Guru on Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Voodoo Guru
From Deep in the IDD of the Sub-Harmonix Realm

Desmoface
Voodoo Audio Head

Post by Desmoface »

Hi, thanks for the information. I think I will look around for a nice unmolested 870...Thanks again for the reply..

73's de kb8viv

Steve

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

No Problemo

Post by Voodoo Guru »

No Problemo Bro......
Think you can't go wrong with an 870.
You wont believe yer ears!
Last edited by Voodoo Guru on Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Voodoo Guru
From Deep in the IDD of the Sub-Harmonix Realm

!KANT
Voodoo Audio Crew Moderator

Post by !KANT »

Damn skippy!!!! The TS-870 will open your ears to a new world of HF audio. If you can acquire one from a reputible dealer, you'll be much much safer than going the route of eBay, QTH, QRZ and eHam...[and ever infamous Hamfests :evil: ] Not to mention, you can always get a refund (if you don't appreciate it for any reason.....which I will highly doubt).

BTW, ditto on all the Mike shared above....

Good Luck. 8)

Desmoface
Voodoo Audio Head

Post by Desmoface »

Hi Ikant...That's the hard part, finding an unmolested 870 of a later vintage...But, I'll keep me bloody eyes open..maybe I'll join you guys on the bands once I find one. Thanks again and best of holidays to everyone...73's de kb8viv

!KANT

Post by !KANT »

Well, you have to keep an eye out for 'em--they are snatched up pretty quickly once posted on the used market list(s). Don't expect to pay much under $1200 from a reputable vender. [I bought my second TS-870 for $1350 from AES--I paid $2100 for my first one back in 2000]. Good Luck....

OZman, N2QN

Desmoface
Voodoo Audio Head

Post by Desmoface »

Hey you crazy kids, you...I got me a bloody 870 :lol:

Hopefully, I will have it next week sometime..I did the ebay thing but I spoke to the seller and got the lowdown on this particular radio and it sounded like a winner..

For now, I will be running the heil goldline pro directly into the rig with no outboard processing (till I get an i-box)...I have heard that this radio sounds pretty good with no external processing and a decent mic.

Anyone have any recomendations for 870 settings? I got some from Heil's website, I guess I will use these as a baseline till I get the audio gear all connected...

Thanks again for any advice..

Steve
kb8viv

!KANT

Post by !KANT »

Sorry for taking so damn long to respond to this Steve--you probably figured out some of the better parameter settings in the '870 menu.

There are really only a couple which require attention. Those are Menus, 29, 30 and 31.

#29.....your TX bandwidth--best option is 3000.

#30.....your TX Shift--since you're using just a mic [Heil Goldline series] you best option [for fuller audio sound]--best option is 0.

#31.....your TX EQ--again, you're use just the Heil microphone, and to bring out the necessary "presence" your best option is "H".

**Engaging the TX EQ will limit TX to 3KHz**

8)

Desmoface
Voodoo Audio Head

Post by Desmoface »

Hey gang, thanks for all the replies..I was wondering if I could get a little more advice?...I have Behringer's Mic 2200 and DSP1124 and I plan to get the ex 3200. I need a compressor limiter (I think) to really finish it off.

Any recommendations on which/what other components I should add to the mix for the best results? Also, any advice on what compressor limiter to get (if any)? Thanks in advance es 73's to all..

Steve
kb8viv