newbie here

Hookin up those Audio Boxes without gettin yourself Perplexed.
scottie
Audio Head

newbie here

Post by scottie »

hi everyone first just have to say totally love this site and now im convinced to get into audio in a big way money permitting.

so far i have
se2000 mic
behringer xenya802
behringer mic2200
behringer mdx2600
i also bought a w2ihy 8 band EQ as didnt know which direction to take till i found this site.
not a lot i know iv been trying to buy a DEQ2496 but always out of my price range,what would be a suitable cheaper replacement for this item untill iv saved enough for the 2496.The radio in my shack is a ts850s i also have a jrc 515 line up but keeping that original as possible

thanks in advance john m3xaw

update-- iv managed to get hold of a DEQ2496 THANKS JOHN

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Post by Voodoo Guru »

Howdy John,
So glad your part of the Forum, Welcome!!!

Sounds like you are building a great Station there. Unfortunately there is nothing that can compare to what the DEQ2496 can do for the price.

From the list of equipment you have now, really any parametric EQ would work the best for you until you can upgrade.

Take Care,
Voodoo Guru
From Deep in the IDD of the Sub-Harmonix Realm

scottie
Audio Head

Post by scottie »

thanks for the welcome to your fantastic site and for your reply to my question.Im planning on doing a lot of reading on your forums but no doubt you will be bombarded with questions at a later date hi hi
thanks john
ImageImage

BillPaul
Digital Voodoo Guru

Post by BillPaul »

Just so you know, the TS-850 is a nice radio, but you're not going to be able to get real voodoo audio out of it without the DSP-100 unit, which is kind of hard to get. That said, there's a couple for sale on swap.qth.com right now. Here's one:

http://swap.qth.com/view_ad.php?counter=990005

Sadly, the asking price is a bit high. :(

Without the DSP-100, the best you can do is bypass the crystal filters, which will widen out your audio, but which will also cause you to transmit in double-sideband mode. (Note that if you bypass both the 455Khz and 8.83Mhz filters in receive, you will be receiving in double-sideband mode too. This has confused the heck out of me on more than one occasion. :) )

Also, be aware that the monitor on the TS-850 has pretty poor bass response, which can make it a little difficult to judge what your on the air audio sounds like. You can very easily add too much bass and not realize it, unless you also listen to yourself on another rig.

-Bill, N1GPT

scottie
Audio Head

Post by scottie »

BillPaul wrote:Just so you know, the TS-850 is a nice radio, but you're not going to be able to get real voodoo audio out of it without the DSP-100 unit, which is kind of hard to get. That said, there's a couple for sale on swap.qth.com right now. Here's one:

http://swap.qth.com/view_ad.php?counter=990005

Sadly, the asking price is a bit high. :(

Without the DSP-100, the best you can do is bypass the crystal filters, which will widen out your audio, but which will also cause you to transmit in double-sideband mode. (Note that if you bypass both the 455Khz and 8.83Mhz filters in receive, you will be receiving in double-sideband mode too. This has confused the heck out of me on more than one occasion. :) )

Also, be aware that the monitor on the TS-850 has pretty poor bass response, which can make it a little difficult to judge what your on the air audio sounds like. You can very easily add too much bass and not realize it, unless you also listen to yourself on another rig.

-Bill, N1GPT
Thanks for all that info Bill thats good to know even if i dont understand it fully hi hi.I have a ft920 coming this week a new addition to the shack whats your thoughts on giving that radio the voodoo audio overhaul ? i just want to get started not just to have the voodoo sound but to also learn about audio and how it works
thanks again John
ImageImage

BillPaul
Digital Voodoo Guru

Post by BillPaul »

I'm afraid I haven't had much experience with Yaesu gear (aside from drooling over the FTDX-5000 display unit at HRO a couple of times). I'm pretty much a dyed-in-the-wool Kenwood guy.

I found a reference here for configuring the FT-920 for ESSB:

http://www.nu9n.com/transmitter_settings.html

But I have no idea what the resulting TX bandwidth would be. (I suspect not more than 3Khz.)

-Bill, N1GPT

scottie
Audio Head

Post by scottie »

BillPaul wrote:I'm afraid I haven't had much experience with Yaesu gear (aside from drooling over the FTDX-5000 display unit at HRO a couple of times). I'm pretty much a dyed-in-the-wool Kenwood guy.

I found a reference here for configuring the FT-920 for ESSB:

http://www.nu9n.com/transmitter_settings.html

But I have no idea what the resulting TX bandwidth would be. (I suspect not more than 3Khz.)

-Bill, N1GPT
me and you a pair of droolers Bill hi hi
thanks for the link my friend im not having any luck picking a radio to give the voodoo touch to,maybe someone should make a list of best radio,s to use for voodoo they could call it THE JOHN LIST a stern reminder that i keep picking the wrong radio hi hi
thanks john
ImageImage

scottie
Audio Head

Post by scottie »

ok this is how i stand at the moment i have my ft1000mp but committed a sin and traded my ts850s in sob sob, but theres a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow i traded it in for a icom 775DSP.
So my equipment now is

se2000 mic
mic2200
deq2496
mdx2600
xenyx802

just like to know mp or dsp ? which mods to do and is there a basic set of settings to start with that can be tweaked to suit my voice and shack size as im sure accoustics will come into it

keep up the great work john
ImageImage