How to do this

Hookin up those Audio Boxes without gettin yourself Perplexed.
M0AOV
Voodoo Audiophile

How to do this

Post by M0AOV »

Hi Guy's

Nice to be here as I'm here to learn.

What I have at the moment for the Audio gear

Behringer B1 Microphone

Behringer Mixer Xenyx 802 as the mic preamp

Behringer Feedback Destroyer Pro DSP1124P

Behringer Composer Pro MDX2200 compressor

Behringer ULTRAFEX PRO EX 3200

iBOX

The radio Yaesu FT847

OK so far what I need to know is whats the best way to connect them all together? i.e.
1) from what channel to what channel?
2) from the mike going in to the 802 channel1 then coming out from were?
3) All Balanced connections??? i.e. are XLR cables better to use than TSR
4) When going in to the EX3200 should I do the XLR BALANCED input ch1 then output ch1, then TSR UNBALANCED to input ch2 then XLR output ch2 to the next unit inline?

I'm just ordering the iBOX from Julius with the Cable from the 802 Mixer to the iBOX then the cable from the iBOX to the FT847

I know I'll have more questions and once I get everything sorted and wired up I'm going to do a VID regarding all the back cable connections and how everything get's connected. I've not seen any VID'S any where on the net with this kind of info or as anyone on here done that???

Hope someone can point me in the right direction

Rob M0AOV/TA4ZN

W5NVI
VooDoo Audio Guru

Post by W5NVI »

Howdy do,
Welcome to the forum.
You will be using the left channel of each unit. All of your cabling (Star quad Canare preferred) should be balanced except from channel one to channel two on the EX3200 (using TRS jacks on a unbalanced jumper). You input to channel one then take a unblanaced TRS jumper and run it into the TRS input of channel two (Per W5UDX mod). Then the output of channel two will go to the mixer. I use Neutrik XLR Connectors on all my balanced cables. The placement order would be as follows:

1. B1 Microphone
2. mic preamp
3. DSP1124P
4. MDX2200 compressor
5. ULTRAFEX PRO EX 3200
6. Mixer
7.iBOX
8. FT-847

Take care and good luck on your search for Dat sound!
W5NVI
I like it WIDE & ROBUST 4k and beyond!!!
The rest is just Sissy Stuff!!!!

M0AOV
Voodoo Audiophile

Post by M0AOV »

Thanks for the reply

the only problem I can see there is No2 mic Preamp because at the moment I haven't got the mic2200 So I was thinking of using the Behringer Mixer Xenyx 802 as the mic preamp so is this the way you mean?

1. B1 Microphone

2. UB802 mic preamp

3. DSP1124P

4. MDX2200 compressor

5. ULTRAFEX PRO EX 3200

6. Mixer ( use the UB802 Mixer or not )

7.iBOX

8. FT-847

I've just Done a Web Page up showing what I think might be right if not can you or anyone else let me know were I'm going wrong http://www.m0aov.site40.net/

Rob

W5NVI
VooDoo Audio Guru

Post by W5NVI »

yes, till you get a mic pre. that will work.
I like it WIDE & ROBUST 4k and beyond!!!
The rest is just Sissy Stuff!!!!

M0AOV
Voodoo Audiophile

Post by M0AOV »

Thanks for the help I've now got everything connected and NO ground loops its totally dead when I listen through.

Rob

:D

Racer38
Voodoo Audio Head

Post by Racer38 »

Did you change out the SSB filter in the radio ?? I have an 847 as a second radio and was looking at the 2.9 SSB crystal filter. The radio is really pinched up with out one of these. I just havent gotten one yet.

M0AOV
Voodoo Audiophile

Post by M0AOV »

HI
I haven't changed any filters over yet, I've been listening to my audio on the FT847 and it sounds quite good so I'm now waiting till I get a Flex Radio.
I use SDR-Radio to check out my audio remote out to 3996hz so I'll stick with it for now, I've also got a few more radio's I'd like to play around with when i get chance.

Racer38
Voodoo Audio Head

Post by Racer38 »

M0AOV wrote:HI
I haven't changed any filters over yet, I've been listening to my audio on the FT847 and it sounds quite good so I'm now waiting till I get a Flex Radio.
I use SDR-Radio to check out my audio remote out to 3996hz so I'll stick with it for now, I've also got a few more radio's I'd like to play around with when i get chance.
Well I have my SDR-1000 set up for my main rig and use the FT-847 for my Satellite stuff. I have used it on HF but the crowd I hang with says its horrible hahaha.. I cant justify hooking it up to the rack as my SDR set up will probably sound horrible on it and I dont need to start changing things now that I have a good sounding SDR ..