New To VooDoo

Hookin up those Audio Boxes without gettin yourself Perplexed.
Antoniorb144
Audio Head

New To VooDoo

Post by Antoniorb144 »

Ok. So the bug bit me. I too started with the W2IHY EQplus and 8 Band EQ so I have those. Hooked up to a IC-7000 and a Radio Shack 33-128 mic for now. I know the IC-7000 is only capable of 2.8khz (100 to 2900) I am inputing my audio through the acc plug in back (supposed to have less filtering). I ordered some equipment from ebay and hope to get started. Here is what I will have. And I'm looking for advice on what to get next, besides the obvious kenwood or alike broader banded radio, and better mic. Also wondering about the balanced and unbalanced lines, can i use either or do I need certain lines running? I'm assuming the mic is un balanced since it came with a xlr to 1/4" TS cord. I have no idea. Other info I think I can find from similar posts.

Ic-7000
8 Band EQ w2ihy (Julius is a great great man)
EQplus w2ihy
Ultrafex EX3200
Feedback destroyer DSP1100
(edit)--Just bought a FBQ2496
Boss VT-1
Radio Shack 33-128 super cardioid mic (for now)

Thanks in advance
Antonio
KC9TopDeadCenter Really looking forward to getting the General Beginning of April.

Antoniorb144
Audio Head

Post by Antoniorb144 »

I think I'm getting closer I now have the ex3200 and fbq2496. After sitting here in the shack putzin around I believe I need a mic2200 and the ibox. Can I Interface the w2ihy eqplus and the 8band eq into the system or am I better off setting those asside and getting a pro audio compressor of sorts. Also have a Boss VT-1 coming (slow shipping) I believe this unit is unbalanced, not sure how to interface this into a balanced system. The VT-1 has only 1/4" in/out (unbalanced) and L/R RCA outs. I picked up a lousy RadShaq Mixer to play with.

Thanks in advance.
Antonio
KC9TopDeadCenter

Antoniorb144
Audio Head

inventory update

Post by Antoniorb144 »

Inventory Update:

Mic2200
Mdx2600
Ex3200
Dsp1100
FBQ2496
Dsp8024
Ibox

YO3IBW
VooDoo Audio Crew

Post by YO3IBW »

I don't think you need all those EQ's. One equalizer is enough.
The audio chains shoud be like this:
Mic2200 - Channel 1 - Mike preamp.
MDX2600- Channel1 - NoiseGate and small compression.
EX3200 - Channel 1 and Channel 2 - The Harmonic enhancer
Equalizer - Channel 1 - Choose one from that list.
MDX2600 - Channel2 - Final Compressor and Peak Limiter
I-box
The Transceiver.

About the EQ's I did not play with those ones so see what is best for you. :wink:
73 de Dan YO3IBW
http://www.buz.ro

Antoniorb144
Audio Head

Eq

Post by Antoniorb144 »

Thanks for the reply. The help is greatly appreciated. Ill play around with what I have. I'm ordering a deq2496 to use in the setup, I think thats the eq I'd like ultimately. I know I went a bit nuts with the eq's, I can just hook one up on the receive side as well. Do you have any suggestions for gear that I should add or change out? I know there are a few posts with initial settings that I will use to help setup. I've been tuning around the bands trying to find some essb'ers havent found any yet except on 11m. Thanks again.

Antoniorb144
Audio Head

ex3200 mod

Post by Antoniorb144 »

I've got a couple of Q's
1) Is there anyone who does the ex3200 mod? And what would the cost be?

I've got some good audio going now a little rfi and or ground loop issues going on at the moment but I'm slowly getting thru this.

2) Has anyone used the ART Clean Boxes? Is this an option for me or would I be wasting money?

As a side note: I'm using a Boss VT-1 with on the effect-normal slider centered and Pitch and Formant slightly lower than the Normal value. It adds a harmonic kind of sound with a slightly lower tone.

W5NVI
VooDoo Audio Guru

Post by W5NVI »

Howdy do,
To touch base on one of your questions. (Has anyone used the Art clean box?) I think you are wanting to use these in between each piece of gear? I do not use anything except the Canare cabling and 2 pieces of ferrite mix 31 on each audio cable input and output as well as the power cables.
On my cables going to and from the pc to the mixer. for recording, play backs and graphing purposes . I use the Behringer HD400 Hum destroyer, as I had a 60 cycle problem and they work great for the money.
Ruffy" RFI" Can certainly work on your audio as well as your patience. I have had, and occasionally get a visit of nasty RFI. But I have always went on my search and destroy mode :shock: and have found and cured these problems. Good luck on the quest for dem tones.
Take care
W5NVI
I like it WIDE & ROBUST 4k and beyond!!!
The rest is just Sissy Stuff!!!!

Antoniorb144
Audio Head

rfi

Post by Antoniorb144 »

Thank you for the info. I cut a lot of noticable rf out with the noise gate. Its still there you just cant hear it when the gates not open. Still gonna follow your advice on the better shielded cables.
I've got good quality audio going now and I'm able to adjust it quite a bit. Thanks to all the info on this forum. I dont really notice any sound changes when i adjust the ex3200. Except when I adjust the "low mix". I started out with the suggested settings, but I dont know anything about the exciter/enhancement and what that is supposed to do, I notice no change. The ex3200 is hooked up bal/unbal/bal. Do I need to do the other mods internally to take advantage of the ex3200, or will I be able to experience some of the effect with just the bal/unbal/bal config? Im thinkin about getting a virtualizer to add some plating effect to my audio. I'm not acheiving any harmonix effects without using my VT-1.

W5NVI
VooDoo Audio Guru

Post by W5NVI »

My settings on the EX3200 are:
channel one low mix 1,NR sensitivity 1, tune 2.2,process Enhance, high mix 3, surround 2 1/2, channel 2: low mix 1 NR sensitivity 1, tune one click above the half mark between 2.2 and 3, process Enhance high mix 3.
Those are my settings, they seem to work great! your welcome to try them.
I like it WIDE & ROBUST 4k and beyond!!!
The rest is just Sissy Stuff!!!!

Antoniorb144
Audio Head

ex3200

Post by Antoniorb144 »

I tried your settings. did not do much for my voice. I played around for quite awhile turning knobs, pushing buttons. I can't seem to get that low harmonix sound. I know the radio doesnt have the band width and my voice may not have those lows in it. But with that VT-1 in line I lower the octive of my voice, and gett it to sound pretty darn cool. And the EX3200 cleans it up pretty nice. but i dont think its doing the whole harmonixs thing. This is where I'm at.

mic XLR to 1/4"
Boss VT-1 unbalanced out to
Pre Amp ch1 balanced out to
MDX2600 ch1 balanced out to
EX3200 ch1 unbalanced to ch2 then balanced to
DSP1100 ch1 balanced to
MDX2600 ch2 balanced to
Ibox
Transceiver

I Think I'm gonna try inverting all the balance/unbalanced connections. To make it an un balanced system except for the EX3200 that would be unbal,bal,unbal. And as for the RF problem I thought I had....It was just a dirty TS connection on the VT-1. A little alcohol and a Q-tip fixed that right up. Thanks again for all your help. People are going nuts over my audio and I dont even have it set up right yet.