Newbie Wanting to know what to do next..

Hookin up those Audio Boxes without gettin yourself Perplexed.
KC9BWI
Audio Head

Newbie Wanting to know what to do next..

Post by KC9BWI »

Hi The name here is Josh. I have become very interested in ESSB.. The sound of VOODOO is amazing. I have bought some audio equipement to play around with but am not totally sure how to go about hooking it all up the proper way. I am in the process of buying more audio equipment and not sure what direction to go. Right now i am only a Tech which doesnt allow me much talking on the bands. This has also made me want to study for my General and pass it as well. So any further help would be greatly Appreciated. This is what i have at this time. I have a

Behringer 1202FX Mixer that has the effects built into it. Not exactly like the Voodoo box as what i call it but its pretty comparable i think. And i also have a DBX266XL as well. I dont know if this is the right way to hook it up, but i have Audio input running into the Compressor on channel 1 and then out to the input of channel 2 and then out to the input of channel 1 on the mixer then out to the radio. It sounds ok but i know there is more that i could add but not sure what direction to go. Any information that i could get would be greatly appreciated, and what piece i should add next.. Thanks..

This is KC9BWI saying 73's

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Post by Voodoo Guru »

Howdy KC9BWI !!
Welcome to the forum and the Hobby!!!

You have a long road ahead of you, but it is going to be FUN one!
Right now we suggest you try and learn about each piece of equipment and what it does to the audio mix.
Once you do this it will tell you where in the audio chain it should be.
One of the best websites to learn from is John's, NU9N.
http://www.nu9n.com/
His site will tell you what each piece does and how to basically set it up.
You can also look back on the threads in this forum and there are descriptions from the mic to the radio on how and what to set up.
So, research, research, research and learn all you can.

As far as your description of how you have your pieces hooked up, it sounds a little backwards.
You have to have a Mic Preamp after the microphone to bring the audio level up to Line Level so the Compressor unit will have something to work with. The correct placement would be to come from the Mic into the mixer and use a mic preamp, then out from the mixer into the compressor. You then might come back into the mixer using a line level input and use that for a gain control into your radio.

Not knowing what radio you are using or how you are feeding it, if you are going into the Mic Jack with this audio, then you will have to bring it from Line Level back down to Mic Level or you will be too hot in the radio all the time.
The cheapest unit to accomplish this is called the I-box from W2IHY.

Hope this Helps,
Take Care and Have Fun!!!!
Voodoo Guru
From Deep in the IDD of the Sub-Harmonix Realm

!KANT
Voodoo Audio Crew Moderator

Post by !KANT »

Hello Josh. Welcome the VooDoo site--glad to see ya here. Good to see you've found a furthering interest in this wonderful hobby/lifestyle. The previous post has already touched upon everything thus far. But I wanna really try and get you to provide more information. My main concern is the radio which you are using. Next, I'm curious about the audio reports you're receiving over the air. Then (finally) how deep are you willing to go with eSSB??--can be one hell of a journey with LOTS to learn and gain.

I greatly suggest that you upgrade your lisence to be able to join us on air. Gives you a chance know us and vice versa. Keep us updated on your progression through the eSSB/VooDooism.

73-
OZman