To compress or not to compress?

Hookin up those Audio Boxes without gettin yourself Perplexed.
Voodoo Voodude
Audio Head

To compress or not to compress?

Post by Voodoo Voodude »

Yo guyz! Well first off many thanks to you dudez that have given me good useful advice on setting up some of dat deep voodoo sound here at the M0ASR studios 8) Current line up is:
Kenwood TS-870
Heil PR40
Behringer>
Ultragain Pro MIC2200 mic preamp
Intelligate XR2000 noise gate
Feedback Destroyer Pro DSP1124P Parametric EQ
Ultrafex Pro EX3200 Harmonics processor

Now im getting that smoooooth voodoo sound after a lot of playin' around here :D However I do have a very slight sibilance issue which is only minor but it is there so I intend to rectify this with a De-Esser.

I am thinking of purchasing the COMPOSER PRO-XL MDX2600 by Behringer which has a De-Esser on board so that will hopefuly fix my sibilance issue. However regarding the use of the compressor section on this device has got me wondering if it is indeed worth adding compression as currently my audio is sounding very nice indeed. So my questions are:
1. Is it worth adding compression and why?
2. If so is this model any good?
3. If so what setting would you guyz suggest?

Any help or advice greatly appreciated :)

Cheerz dudez,
Dom.
M0ASR / 2E0CIA.

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Post by Voodoo Guru »

Howdy Dom,

That is a great compressor and should do everything you are looking for.
You should not need the de-esser section though once you have the compressor section in line and set up correctly as the compressor should take care of all the sibilance problems.
A compressor is a necessary piece of equipment, especially if you are pushing the high frequencies with the EQ.

Take Care,
Voodoo Guru
From Deep in the IDD of the Sub-Harmonix Realm

Voodoo Voodude
Audio Head

Post by Voodoo Voodude »

Yo Voodoo Guru many thanks dude for the info! Ok so this will be my next piece of kit to purchase then. Do you have any idea of any starting point settings to go at?

Regards,
Dom.

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Post by Voodoo Guru »

Hey Dom,
Check out this thread, there are some good starting settings for the MDX2600 here:

http://www.wz5q.net/talkvoodoo/viewtopi ... ht=mdx2600

Take Care,
Voodoo Guru
From Deep in the IDD of the Sub-Harmonix Realm

!KANT
Voodoo Audio Crew Moderator

Post by !KANT »

Additional input...

If you're concerned with de-essing, don't forget you can side-chain the compressor [just use the unused channel on 1124--will offer a greater level of control and accuracy].

-N2QN

Voodoo Voodude
Audio Head

Post by Voodoo Voodude »

Yo nice one guyz :) This will be of great help to get me started on da compressor side of things. This website has helped me a great lot already in getting started so I just wanted to say many thanks to you dudez! Im finaly experiencing that smoooooooth voooooodooooooo 8)

Mucho Regardos,
Dom.