Icom 7600 and 5piece Beringer rack. What now?

Hookin up those Audio Boxes without gettin yourself Perplexed.
IC3K4Voodoo
Audio Head

Icom 7600 and 5piece Beringer rack. What now?

Post by IC3K4Voodoo »

OK folks, I don't want information I already know about band width on the Icom's. What I need to know is how to get the Beringer gear sounding better than the W2IHY box's.

So far I've mastered the W2IHY box's so well everyone I've ever known has told me I had the box's sounding better than anyone else with IHY box's and closets to HI-FI audio. Still can't get the same grand audio reports out of the Beringer. Did I make a mistake here?

Radio: Icom 7600 feed via Balanced Modulator!

Mic: Rohde NT-1A Studio Condensor

Beringer in order:

1. MIC 2200
2. DBX 166XL
3. DEQ 2496
4. APHEX 204
5. DSP 2024 P

6. W2IHY IBOX

I have some good audio settings, but not what I'm looking for. If there are any qualified Voo Doo audio buffs from the 14.178 or 3.650 reading this I would like to shedule with one of you and see if your up to the challenge to help me get this thing blowing away IHY box's.

I'd appreciate it!

Thank You and 73! :cry:

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Post by Voodoo Guru »

Howdy and welcome to the Forum!!
So glad to have you here.

It sounds like you have some great equipment.
You will be able to get some awesome audio within your bandwidth with that gear, much more so then with the W2IHY stuff.
It takes ALLOT of hours in the dummy load and getting yourself familiar with the equipment to achieve this though. It isn't 'instant breakfast'.

Have Fun!!
Voodoo Guru
From Deep in the IDD of the Sub-Harmonix Realm

!KANT
Voodoo Audio Crew Moderator

Post by !KANT »

(sry late to the party)...

First off, with gear like that you should easily blow away the 'IHY, even with the bandwidth you're working with--for less than the price of a 'IHY 8-bander you surely can. Your setup is textbook standard, so you should be fine. Monitor your audio from a good/"trusted" external receiver if possible. Audio reports will be very subjective. Trust YOUR ears and take into consideration less than optimal band conditions--stations aren't all always going to be 5-9+20. Since you are aware of your limitations, that's half the battle to the approach. But note, more and more operators are listening wider than 3KHz. And lastly, there a harmonious relationship when boosting and cutting frequencies--the latter is better. Good Luck and keep us posted.

73-