Help if poss!!!!

Hookin up those Audio Boxes without gettin yourself Perplexed.
geowhitt
Audio Head

Help if poss!!!!

Post by geowhitt »

Hi to all again, i have now bought my audio equipment and i am now at a loss as to were it all plugs in, i was hoping that when i picked it up it would all be still wired up but it was not.
So as i sit here with a load of wired leads and 4 boxes i am stuck.
I have a APHEX 204 BIG BOTTOM,A ULTRA CURVE PRO DEQ 2496,A ULTRAGAIN PRO MIC 2200,A COMPOSER PRO MDX 2200, and a ibox by W2IHY my mic is a HEIL PR40 and i have a Yaesu ft1000 mp mk5.
I am like the kid with all the toys and dont know how to play!!!!!
any help please.

w5cul
VooDoo Audio Crew

Post by w5cul »

Hello, and welcome to the Voodoo Forums.

I would try something simple first. So here is a suggested line-up:

PR40
MIC 2200
MDX 2200 (as a downward expander to cut out back ground noise)
Aphex 204
DEQ 2496
ibox
Mark V

Keep in mind that each piece has a left and right channel, and in the above line-up you will only use one channel. To make it more interesting, as you get to know your equipment better, you may try something like this:

PR40
MIC 2200
MDX 2200 Left Channel as a Downward expander to cut our background noise
Aphex 204
MDX 2200 Right Channel as a slight compressor
DEQ 2496 Left Channel for Parametric EQing
DEQ 2496 Right Channel for final touch up using the 3 Band Compressor
iBox
Mark V

Having not played with either the Aphex or the MDX 2200, I could be wrong on where to place them. But at least it is something I would try.

There are very detailed posts throughout this forum that can provide you generic starting points when setting up the parametric EQ settings. When EQing, keep in mind that attenuating some frequencies is just as affective as boosting other frequencies. The object is not to overdrive, yet fill the transmitted bandwidth up effectively and efficiently such that you sound as natural as possible, with a little resounding bass ;-) And the same thing can be said for the compressor, a little compression can go a very long way in smoothing out ones voice, not too mention giving a little increase in your average power out.

Hope this helps!!
W5CUL

Live from the Texas Hill Country......VMSDX# 21

geowhitt
Audio Head

Post by geowhitt »

Many thanks for the reply, i will let you know how i get on. :)

geowhitt
Audio Head

Post by geowhitt »

Hi and thanks for the reply, i have now set up the equipment and i have had a couple of good audio reports.
Now i have learn what all the knobs and buttons do and also try some menu changes.
I did use the stuff through my hifi which is Naim pre and power and linn isobarik speakers and it did sound very good.
Again many thanks for the help.
Take care all.
George M3IIW. :D :D