Rack gear order

Hookin up those Audio Boxes without gettin yourself Perplexed.
kg6pqq
Voodoo Audio Head

Rack gear order

Post by kg6pqq »

Hello all, been reading as much and absorbing all I can in my quest for the Voodoo sound. I am helping a freind with his rack gear that he's trying to hook up. Heres the list of stuff he got Eurorack Pro RX1602 channel mixer, Symetrix 528e, Virtualizer DSP 2024P, Ultrafex Pro EX3200, Ultramizer 1424P and a PR40 mic. He has different radios that he can chose from so thats a different issue but as far as order of hook up and what little misc things he might need to get his system up and running your input would be greatly appreciated. I love this Hifidelity audio stuff , just puts a whole new twist on things. Thanks again.

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Post by Voodoo Guru »

Howdy!!
Welcome to the forum!

Sounds like your friend has a great start on some rack gear.
We love the Symetrix 528e because of its ability to separate the different effects in it.
The only down side to it is that all the inter-stage input and outputs are Unbalanced and sometimes causes a headache when interfacing other components in between the effects of the unit.
That's for a latter discussion though.

This is the order that we would try first.
Be aware that it can be different of course, it all depends on what he wants the final affect to sound like.

Pr40 Mic
Symetrix 528e
EX3200
1424P
DSP 2024P
RX1602

That would be a great starting point.
Some of the things he would need other then the obvious things
like XLR Balanced Cables, Mono Cables, etc..
would be:

1 - A good AC Power Conditioner like one made from Furman (Rackrider)

2 - an input Transformer to bring the Balanced Line Level Audio back down to unbalanced Mic Level Audio for input into the Mic Jack of the Transmitter.
an inexpensive one to work with would be the I-Box from W2IHY.

Well Good luck!!
Voodoo Guru
From Deep in the IDD of the Sub-Harmonix Realm

kg6pqq
Voodoo Audio Head

Post by kg6pqq »

Thank you for the tip. We set it up in that order and he sounds great. He wants to add an external compressor for more compression and wants to know which model to go with also in what order? From my resaerch I see that you place the compressor in front of the Symetrix 528e after the mic? He was experiencing some RFI and by repositioning some of his gear he was able to cut it down a little. Thanks John

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Post by Voodoo Guru »

Howdy John,
He wants to add an external compressor for more compression and wants to know which model to go with also in what order?
Well the best bang for the buck is probably the Behringer MDX2600.
We would place that unit after the EX3200 in the previous stated line up.

From my research I see that you place the compressor in front of the Symetrix 528e after the mic?
No, that is the position we would normally place the Downward Expander/Noise Gate.
Once your friend gets some experience under his belt, then he might be able to place a compressor after the downward expander for different audio effects.

He was experiencing some RFI and by repositioning some of his gear he was able to cut it down a little.
Yes RFI can be a real beasty.
That's why it is important to use good quality audio cable (Starquad) and RFI abatement techniques.
It is different with every station as to the solution.

Have Fun!!!
Voodoo Guru
From Deep in the IDD of the Sub-Harmonix Realm