Leads

Hookin up those Audio Boxes without gettin yourself Perplexed.
Yamanx
Voodoo Audio Head

Leads

Post by Yamanx »

Why are they all so blimmin long? I went to buy a couple of XLR leads and I couldnt find one less than 2 metres long! Its a nuisance for the rack as it looks a mess at the back.

I reckon I'll start a campagne for "rack leads" and not "stage leads" :lol:
"By all means think yourself big, but never think others small"....................R. F. Scott

www.foxtrotbravo.co.uk

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Post by Voodoo Guru »

There ya go!!
That's one reason we build our own.
The other reason is for RFI prevention.
We use Starquad Canare cable with .001uf capacitors from the leads to Shield Ground on each connector, then install Mix #31 Ferrite beads on the cable before the connectors are soldered.
This makes for some very good Audio Quality cables and very RFI proof.
Voodoo Guru
From Deep in the IDD of the Sub-Harmonix Realm

toxicooze
Audio Head

Post by toxicooze »

AUDIO CABLING

For maximum RF rejection, use high qualitydouble-shielded, low capacitance twisted 4 conductor "Starquad" audio cable for all of your audio.

BYPASS CAPACITORS

RFI Bypass Capacitor Installation

Another trick you can use to suppress RFis the installation of ceramic disc bypass capacitors. For balanced audio signals, use 001µF ceramic disc caps between plus and chassis ground, and between minus and chassis ground. This can be accomplished either in the equipment, or better yet, in the XLR shell to your equipment input. Place the 001µF caps between pins 1 & 2, and between pins 1 & 3.Thanks to K6JRF for this tip! For unbalanced connectors, place one between the Tip and Sleeve lugs inside the 1/4" plug. For AC power bypassing, use 01µF 2000Volt ceramic disc capacitors between chassis ground and hot. For grounded or balanced AC,use 2, one between chassis and one side of the AC line, and another between chassis and the other side of the AC line. Make sure that you use 2000 WVDC caps for AC so that there will be no breakdown or excessive heating.

ECC82
Voodoo Audiophile

Post by ECC82 »

John NU9N, answered my question: do both XLR/TRS connectors need the caps?

Only the “Input” side of the cable needs the caps. (The XLR side that connects to the equipment’s input)
They’re easy to install inside the XLR connectors if you use small ¼ watt versions.

John, NU9N

I placed the caps accordingly to his info, saves some soldering time and caps. :D
===================
>> Livin' la VooDoo Loca <<
===================

toxicooze
Audio Head

Post by toxicooze »

With the time it takes to make the cables it doesn't take a lot to add the bypass capacitors to the output then you know that your eliminating any possibilities' of that RFI just call me a perfectionist "maybe"

ECC82
Voodoo Audiophile

Post by ECC82 »

toxicooze wrote:With the time it takes to make the cables it doesn't take a lot to add the bypass capacitors to the output then you know that your eliminating any possibilities' of that RFI just call me a perfectionist "maybe"
I bought caps in the local electronics shop, but they only had 12 pcs in stock. Bought new ones online. They looked OK on the photo but were a bit bigger in real life. Managed to "squeeze" 2 in the XLR connector but it was a tight fit (not to mention the two TRS connectors that had to be fitted with those caps :cry: ) So I was glad that only one of the two XLR's needed the caps :D
===================
>> Livin' la VooDoo Loca <<
===================

M0AOV
Voodoo Audiophile

short xlr cables

Post by M0AOV »

I've just looked on e-bay for 1ft xlr cables and found all of these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw= ... sacat=1607

You just have to see what will work for you or make your own up.