Please Help with a New Rack

Hookin up those Audio Boxes without gettin yourself Perplexed.
J-Man
Audio Head

Please Help with a New Rack

Post by J-Man »

Hello Everyone,

You have a great site going here. I have been reading and trying to pick up some things before I post.

I bought my TS870 about 1 and a half years ago and have been running a PR40 strait in with good results. I usually get great reports. I have to admit I have been wondering if a "rack" is worth the effort considering my reports to date. Most people say don't change anything. But, experimentation is what Ham radio is all about.

Based on looking around here and a few stars aligning on EBAY, I have on the way my first 2 rack components which are:
Bellari RP533
T.C. Electronic Triple C compressor

Here is what I plan to start with in order:

PR-40
Bellari RP533
Parametric EQ (Likely DEQ 2496 or DSP 1124P)
T.C Electronic Triple C
Ibox
Mic plug to rig

I would also like to add a unit for effect at the end of the chain at some point and maybe even (gasp) the EX3200 voodoo machine. I first want to get the above going.

Since I only have the 2 units so far I am free to learn from the mistakes and experimentation of others. I would appreciate any comments because I am completely new to this. Here a a few questions I have:

Do I need another micpre ahead of the RP533. If so, what do you recommend?

Does the DEQ 2496 have a downward expander?

Should I go with the DEQ 2496 or DSP 1124P? What should I consider aside from price?

Are there any other parametric EQ's I should consider I shouldn't need all the widgets of the 2496 with the triple C?

Do I really need the ibox or could I just us a mixer to reduce the level down before going into the front of my rig? Will I do damage to my TS870 if I don't pad it down first? I am thinking about using only a mixer and then forgetting to turn it down sometime in the future- that could never happen...

I forgot to mention that my primary interests are good Rag chew audio but I would like the ability to press a few buttons / spin some dials and get a good punchy pile up busting signal. With the TS870 as it is I usually play with bandwidth (reduce it) and for the punch sometimes use the awful processor.

Thank you,
Jeff

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Post by Voodoo Guru »

Howdy Jeff,
Welcome to the Forum!!!

Thanks for the accolades on the site, we try to keep it interesting.

Sounds like your getting a terrific start in Hi-Fi audio!
That is true that you can get a great sound with minimal equipment,
but there is nothing like the sound of a well massaged rack and a great mic!
You hit it on the head with the word EXPERIMENTATION.

Sounds like a good order of equipment you plan on getting and we will answer your questions in quotes.

Do I need another micpre ahead of the RP533. If so, what do you recommend?
We have found that the PR40 and the RE20 are a little anemic when it comes to mic gain output.
We use another mic pre ahead of the RP533.

The best cost to reliability ratio is the Behringer MIC2200.
It is proven and doesn't have a problem with RFI.

Does the DEQ 2496 have a downward expander?
Yes it does.

Should I go with the DEQ 2496 or DSP 1124P? What should I consider aside from price?
We would choose the DE2496.
Not only do you have more options to choose from, it is allot less nosier the the DSP1124p on both S/N Ratio and Digital Distortion problems.

Although the DSP1124p does have more filters AND then can get narrower in Bandwidth.

All in all we would choose the DEQ2496.

Are there any other parametric EQ's I should consider I shouldn't need all the widgets of the 2496 with the triple C?
There are several out there.
Cost is the Big factor.
Stay away from the FBQ-2496 as it does NOT have any extra memories to save different filter curves.

Do I really need the ibox or could I just us a mixer to reduce the level down before going into the front of my rig? Will I do damage to my TS870 if I don't pad it down first? I am thinking about using only a mixer and then forgetting to turn it down sometime in the future- that could never happen...
No, a mixer will not pad the level low enough to be affective.
You will be maybe one click up from full attenuation and it will still probably be too much level for the Front mic Jack.

You could go into the rear ACC jack, but you have to do the C131 mod or your low end will be gone.
If you go into the ACC jack, you can use a mixer.

Now you will not damage the 870 by injecting too much level, but it will sound awful and severely distorted.
Like turning a Power Mic all the way up and alsoi the radios Mic gain all the way up.

Hope that answered some of your questions...
Anyone else??
Voodoo Guru
From Deep in the IDD of the Sub-Harmonix Realm

J-Man
Audio Head

Post by J-Man »

Thanks for answering all of my questions!

All of the answers are helpful.

I don't have all the pieces yet, but I did receive the Triple C. Using the settings you provide on the website I was able to hear the dramatic difference just using my mixer's pre-amp, the PR40, and some headphones. The difference with and without the compression is significant. Wow!

thanks,
Jeff

J-Man
Audio Head

Post by J-Man »

I wanted to confirm what Voodoo Guru said above with my real world experience. I received the RP533 and had been trying it out with my pr-40. With no other pre-amplifier, the sound did flow, but I could not hear any difference when I engaged the compressor limiter in the Bellari regardless of settings.

With a mic pre in place in front of the Bellari, the effect of the compressor / limiter is much more obvious and the bottom and exciter seem to have more impact too.

So if you are contemplating needing a mic preamp with the Bellari, it does matter- at least with the PR-40.

Cheers,
Jeff