Connecting up and setup advice

Hookin up those Audio Boxes without gettin yourself Perplexed.
m0cke
Audio Head

Connecting up and setup advice

Post by m0cke »

Hi All,

I'm new to the group but i've been tinkering with "better audio" for some time.

I have a Rode NT1 Mic and ive just ordered a MIC2200, DEQ2496 and MX882, i've also ordered XLR connecting leads to go between all the equipment, I hope this is OK.

So once all this arrives and i get it set up, how do I connect the output of the MX882 to my FT2000?

Also has anyone got some good base settings for all the above equipment

Thanks

Jim M0CKE

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Excellent Choices!

Post by Voodoo Guru »

Howdy Jim,
We're so glad to have you on the Voodoo Forum!!!

It sounds like you have made some most excellent choices in audio gear.
As far as the settings go, there are several 'Beginning' settings in several posts on this forum.
You just have to dig them out.
They are excellent starting points, but remember, every voice and application is different so none will be exactly the same.

As far as how to connect the MX882 to your rig.
Several options are there.

Option #1 - We're not too familiar with the FT-2000 so our information is limited as to what kind of input they have in the back of the rig for 'Line Level' Audio input. This would be a direct input from the MX882.
You could add a 1:1 Isolation Transformer later if you have Hum problems with the direct connection.

Option #2 - Best thing to use would be an isolation and Step down Transformer to bring the 'Line Level' Audio down to 'Mic Level' Audio and input it directly into the Mic Jack on the front of your rig.
W2IHY makes an excellent product called an I-Box that does just this.
His box also has a variable attenuator on it to adjust the volume input.
You can always upgrade later to a more professional unit.

You can find some more information on how to do this at John's website here http://www.nu9n.com/tx.html#Transformers

Most important thing is to learn all you can about your equipment and how it affects the Sonics of your audio.
Don't be scared to turn those knobs!!
And most important is this.......

Have Fun!!!!
Voodoo Guru
From Deep in the IDD of the Sub-Harmonix Realm