Well, the rack has evolved again

Hookin up those Audio Boxes without gettin yourself Perplexed.
Bow
Voodoo Audiophile

Well, the rack has evolved again

Post by Bow »

Well, I ended up removing my old Alesis Nano Compressor, and stepped up my game a bit...

See, my problem was that the Nano Compressor with unbalanced, 1/4" inputs and outputs... so I was doing the evil Balanced to unbalanced think in my rack....

Well, about a week ago, I was messing around with my rack (which is something few men would admit in public) and decided to up my game...

So off to Guitar Center I go.. and come home with a DBX 266XL...

So the rack is all balanced, XLR and I have a kick ass compressor holding down the end of my audio chain...

I also took some advice from Mr. W5UDX and picked up a Tripp Lite Ultra IsoBar 8 to keep any evil stray RF out of my AC...

http://riley-music.com/BowsStuff/SSB_Au ... oChain.JPG

So I get done re-adjusting everything with my power and audio chain, and I fired up Spectra Plus to do a little Transmitter sweeping.

I setup the software to sweep from 0 to 10KHZ, hooked up my AM Sampler/On Air monitor circuit I brewed up, put the radio in the AM mode into a dummy load, and watched the output on Spectra Plus graphing the results.

I started tweaking my Behringer PEQ-2200 Parametric EQ to get the sweep flat, with a slight boost in the bass, of course...

Then a did a little talking with my Modified Nady RS-2 ribbon mic (instead of my MXL V57M Condenser)... "W5EFR Audio Check 1,2,3 6,7,8"

I think it looks like a pretty decent curve, even for AM mode...

So if the curve looks that decent in AM, my SSB audio sound be quite nice as well.

Life be good in my 3.3 kHz Voodoo World 8)
Last edited by Bow on Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bow

Quite possibilly the only 3.3 Khz wide Icom IC-718 in the world...

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Post by Voodoo Guru »

Terrific Bow!!
Thats what we like to hear...experimentation and tweakage!

Looks like you got it going on in the ole AM mode.
Just remember...
You will usually have two completely different EQ curves for AM and SSB.
It always seems that on AM the Low Frequencies need to be cut.
Can't wait to hear ya!
Take Care,
Voodoo Guru
From Deep in the IDD of the Sub-Harmonix Realm