XLR cables

Hookin up those Audio Boxes without gettin yourself Perplexed.
Chuck
Audio Head

XLR cables

Post by Chuck »

Hi guys, new to Voodoo audio but have a new to me TS-870 and got a deal on a Behringer EX3200 and a DSP-2024P and would like to know what cables I need to hook these up to the TS-870. Thanks

W5NVI
VooDoo Audio Guru

Post by W5NVI »

Hello Chuck ,
Welcome to the forum. You will need Several quality audio cables in your application. One XLR Balanced cable running from your mic to your mic preamp , You did not mention anything about an EQ, But this would be next in the line up and very much recommended. Then a XLR balnaced cable from your EQ to your EX3200.
Using the EX3200 setup. You will have a Balanced Cable coming into the Input of Channel 1 using the typical TRS 1/4" connector or XLR connector utilizing the 3ea wires (Signal +, Signal -, and Shield)
The Output of Channel 1 going into the Input of Channel 2 will be using an Unbalanced Cable with the Mono 1/4" connector utilizing 2ea wires (Signal +, and Shield).
You will have a Balanced Cable going out of the Output of the EX3200 Channel 2 using the typical TRS 1/4" connector or XLR connector going into into the Channel one input of your Virtualizer.
Now from the Virtualizer to your TS870 if you are going into the front of the 870, you will need an I-Box , the 2024p 1/4" TRS to the TRS input of the I-Box, and then the unbalnced output of the ibox to the Mic Jack of the TS870.
Hope this hepls you in your conquest for the Voodoo that we do!! :evil:
Eddie

Chuck
Audio Head

XLR cables

Post by Chuck »

Thanks Eddie, bet you don't know who this is???? AI4BB Your friend in SC. I traded the TS2000 for a mint TS-870. Going to try the Voodoo audio. On the look out for a EQ. Thanks Chuck

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

870 - up the rear?

Post by Voodoo Guru »

Howdy Chuck,
Welcome to the Forum!!
where all your answers can be questioned.

Eddie is absolutely correct on the cabling recommendations.
As well as with the EQ.
That is a very important piece of equipment.
What kind of Audio equipment are you running now with the 870 other then the EX3200 and DSP2024p?

Another decision you will have to make is weather to feed the Rack Audio into the Front Mic Jack or the Rear ACC2 13 pin DIN plug.
Going in the Front Mic jack tends to add too many lows and tends to be muddy as well as distorts the high frequencies when they are boosted with the EQ.
You can get better frequency response going into the rear of the 870, but there is a mod that has to be done on the inside to make it pass the Low frequencies.
Its called the C131 Mod. you can find that here
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/na1a/VooDoo/870C131Mod.htm
We suggest you REPLACE the cap with a SMD 1uf cap, don't parallel it and don't use an electrolytic.
Then you have to wire the Rear ACC2 jack as shown in this post
http://www.wz5q.net/talkvoodoo/viewtopic.php?t=39
You will get much better Transmit Frequency Response, Clarity, and Sonics using this method.

Good Luck and We hope this info helped Ya!!!
Take Care,
Voodoo Guru
From Deep in the IDD of the Sub-Harmonix Realm

Chuck
Audio Head

XLR cables

Post by Chuck »

Thanks for the info, I've been reading all the stuff on the 870 and have printed it out so when the 870 gets here (Friday) I will be ready. Any suggestions for the EQ?? Behringer 10 band EQ OK??? Still have W2IHY band
EQ that I used with TS2000. Probably need PR-40 too. Have Heil goldline, but can find someone to sell to. PR-40 on QTH for 250.00. Thanks again Chuck

W5NVI
VooDoo Audio Guru

Post by W5NVI »

Hey Chuck!!!
Glad to have you on board!! I'm sure once you get your TS870 and rack together, you will be glad you did!!
Hope to hear your New Voodoo on the air!!!
Catcha l8r Eddie