Few More Questions

Hookin up those Audio Boxes without gettin yourself Perplexed.
andymuza
Audio Head

Few More Questions

Post by andymuza »

Hi Again.

I posted a Few Questions a few weeks ago.

Well now, due to a change in radio I have a few more :?

I now no longer have the IC-7000, I am now the proud owner of a prestine TS-870 (2003 Model).

Well obviously I have had to make changes to the way the rack was set up. On the 7K when I engaged the EX3200 I could not hear any difference, however, on the TS-870 the difference is huge and fantastic. This no doubt is down to the limited TX bandwidth of the 7K.

Once I set the 870 up, the first thing I did was wire the rack to the ACC socket. It all sounds great but,,,

Does th ALC function as an ALC when audio is coming through the back or can it be ignored.

Also I don't seem to get a great deal of drive unless I overdrive the ALC, any clues? I must add that when the ALC is overdriven I have no distortion in my Audio, its all loud and clear.

I am using a PR20 into a UB802 mixer, into an MDX4600 (Ch1 Downward Expand) then into a GEQ3102 Analogue EQ, then an EX3200 wired for that stunning VOODOO, back into the MDX 4600 to compress and lastly into the ACC socket.

I am not sure if the C131 mod has been done to the 870 or not but, all sounds clear and I have been advised that I am sounding good and wider than previously on the 7k. A friend has a 1000MP and he stated I sound far better at 6kHz than at 3kHz.

I know I am getting there, just a matter of fine tuning now.

Thanks to John (G0TIY) for the advice on the C131 mod.

And thanks to the Voodoo Guru for the use of the great site.

All advice appreciated.

Regards

Andy (G7VOT)

w5udx
VooDoo Audio Guru

Post by w5udx »

Andy,

Ck menu 20 for more gain usually on 0 or 1.

As far as the ALC mtr, I've found that most speech is within the ALC range but on peaks it will go to the wall on the right, but not to worry, the radio does not distort if just on peaks.

I think its a combination of things to watch and listen for to get clean audio out of the 870 thru the back.

If you have a true peak reading watt mtr you can gauge the output power with the ALC mtr and of course the audio monitor, and last but not least, if you have a station monitor (scope) you can tell that even on peaks out of the ALC it is still very linear.

Hope this helps, would like to hear some sound bites when you get it all dialed in with that VooDoo sound.
Don't give me that sissy ass audio, put some lows in it!

udx

andymuza
Audio Head

Post by andymuza »

Hi thanks for the advice.

Have tried Menu 20 on all settings, no difference. I then noticed that the current drain on my PSU was maxing out at 15 amps, even with a carrier, so I'm thinking the output has been turned down. Any one know what the default is in hidden menu A7. I dont have my Power meter currently, loaned out. Will get it back tomorrow.

No probs with the sound bites. She is sure sounding great tho.

andymuza
Audio Head

Post by andymuza »

OK, doesn't matter about hidden menu A7, Sussed it.

ruisgc
VooDoo Audio Crew

Post by ruisgc »

Hi Andy,
Yes it’s true, it happens with my 870 too, I have to over boost a little the ALC, but with no distortion at all.
Like Greg said on the peaks it will go to the wall on the right.
I do the c131 modification and it is a big difference. If you have some patience and some skills with smd do the mod you will see, specially in the bass and high end.
Don’t forget the menu #20 in my case is in “1”.
Menu #29 in 3000 and #30 try 100.

Kind regard.
CT1HAR

The VOODOO from Portugal .........