Flexradio SDR-1000

Hookin up those Audio Boxes without gettin yourself Perplexed.
KD5TTZ
Voodoo Audiophile

Flexradio SDR-1000

Post by KD5TTZ »

Has anyone tried the SDR-1000 and Voo-Doo?

If so, please post the outcome?

God Bless,
Kyp
If it doesnt fit, don't forse it. Get a bigger hammer !

http://kd5ttz.tripod.com/index.html

KD5TTZ
Voodoo Audiophile

Post by KD5TTZ »

I can even trade my TS-2000 for the following SDR-1000.
What do you guys think about that?
Comments please.......................

Flex Radio SDR-1000 with accesories

FlexRadio SDR-1000 Transceiver with installed 100 watt PA & AntennaTuner. Includes the Delta M-44 Audio card with cables as well as PCI parallel card and cable. Also included is the usb adapter cable and the shuttle pro
Non-smoking environment. Excellent condition. $1500 Shipped to continental usa only,
Postal Money Order, Check, Add 3% if paying by PayPal to cover Fees

w5cul
VooDoo Audio Crew

Post by w5cul »

Kyp,

The price sounds good. He probably paid close to $2K for the whole setup; accessories included. The USB adapter has been known to have RFI and intermittent service issues though. You will need a decent computer if you plan on running the radio to include email, web...etc. I have a 3Ghz 64bit AMD chip over here with 2Gig of ram and 256M video card driving two flat panels. The setup can support the SDR-1000, Wavenode, Bitwise, Office, Firefox, and video playing all at the same time with no hits or skips on the SDR-1000 audio.

I have no experience with the Delta M-44 as I use the PreSonus Firebox which has 2 XLR connectors on the front face. You may want to ask Dudley (WA5QPZ) how he has his rack gear interfaced into the M-44.

As far as Voodoo audio using the SDR-1000, it will run with the best; check out my station pix on this website. It has a true flat response on both the transmit and receive audio, no modifications required. One of the biggest features of the radio is the practically unlimited transmit and receive filters that you have at your beckon call. You can set up individual transmit sessions such that you could do the Voodoo Shuffle, DX Scoot, or the Digiwigi tap dance with just a click of the mouse. The PowerSDR Panadapter knows all and sees all, nothing like having your own personal bandscope/spectrum analyzer to see who is out there, and who is throwing out a trashy signal. Another big feature is that just about everything on this radio is software based and thus customizable. That includes your AGC, ALC, NR, NB, ANF...etc. Let's say you do not like the way you AGC
plays using default settings, then go into the options menu and change "all" of the AGC's parameters around until it plays the way you like. And last but not least, all upgrades, patches, and fixes are done in software. You find a bug, report it, sit back a day or two, and then download the latest software containing the fix. New features, if reasonable, work the same way. Show me any other manufacture or vendor that provides that kind of quick service, free!!!

Well I have stood on top of the Flex soapbox long enough, I best be getting down before the Kennywoods start crying.

Take care,
W5CUL

Live from the Texas Hill Country......VMSDX# 21

KD5TTZ
Voodoo Audiophile

Post by KD5TTZ »

Well,
I am kinda worried about trading the TS-2000 for the SDR-1000

Just not sure what to do. I see that the SDR-5000 is in production and I wonder if the SDR-1000 will be getting updates and fixes?

Do you think its a good trade? I know nothing about the SDR-1000

Just a little hesitant about the trade.

Any other comments from anyone is greatly appreciated.

God Bless,
Kyp
kd5ttz

w5cul
VooDoo Audio Crew

Post by w5cul »

Kyp,

There are some things that you will be giving up when we talk about trading in the TS-2000; 2M & 70cm. The SDR-1000 does not have that capability without using a transverter. Regarding whether or not the trade is worth it, I know it is a huge leap from the norm, a Software Defined Radio, and may not be for everyone. So the best answer I can give you is to attempt finding someone who has an SDR-1000 in your local area who is willing to let you take it for a ride in his station. In doing that, you will definitely get a feel for whether or not you like it; I have yet to hear about a middle ground. Either one loves it, or they do not understand nor care for it.

As far as the new 5000 series, they are currently taking orders for the second manufacturing run, which is not scheduled to ship until the latter part of September. From everything that I have heard about the beta models that are currently being field tested, they are a head up from the SDR-1000 in new features & functionality. This is not to say that the SDR-1000 is a low end radio!! Actually it rivals if not beats technical performances of the current expensive big boy radios at a substantially reduced cost. I would suggest that you read the Flex website, manuals, technical prospectus, knowledgebase, and subscribe to the Forum. Considering that this is bleading edge technology, or more accurately stated disruptive technology, it is always wise to do your own research such that when asking questions from Flex owners, the answers received make sense from that perspective. In many operative cases there is no direct apples to apples comparison, just a new disruptive technology.
W5CUL

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Post by Voodoo Guru »

.........just a new disruptive technology.
Yea....We'll say!!!
Voodoo Guru
From Deep in the IDD of the Sub-Harmonix Realm

w5cul
VooDoo Audio Crew

Post by w5cul »

For those who are not familiar with the term "Disruptive Technology", I have provided a snippet from the "What is" website.

"Disruptive technology is a term coined by Harvard Business School professor Clayton M. Christensen to describe a new technology that unexpectedly displaces an established technology. In his 1997 best-selling book, "The Innovator's Dilemma," Christensen separates new technology into two categories: sustaining and disruptive. Sustaining technology relies on incremental improvements to an already established technology. Disruptive technology lacks refinement, often has performance problems because it is new, appeals to a limited audience, and may not yet have a proven practical application. (Such was the case with Alexander Graham Bell's "electrical speech machine," which we now call the telephone.) In his book, Christensen points out that large corporations are designed to work with sustaining technologies. They excel at knowing their market, staying close to their customers, and having a mechanism in place to develop existing technology. Conversely, they have trouble capitalizing on the potential efficiencies, cost-savings, or new marketing opportunities created by low-margin disruptive technologies. Using real-world examples to illustrate his point, Christensen demonstrates how it is not unusual for a big corporation to dismiss the value of a disruptive technology because it does not reinforce current company goals, only to be blindsided as the technology matures, gains a larger audience and marketshare, and threatens the status quo"

When talking about the summation of technologies that create and define the SDR-1000, and the 5000 series radios, the remaining big manufacturers better stand up and take notice, less they too exemplify one of Christensen's examples.
W5CUL

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Post by Voodoo Guru »

mmmm...see allot of keywords in that snippet....

Disruptive, Dilemma, lacks refinement, problems, limited, trouble, blindsided.

He he he he he he :twisted:
Voodoo Guru
From Deep in the IDD of the Sub-Harmonix Realm

w5cul
VooDoo Audio Crew

Post by w5cul »

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha........Good one Mike!! 8)

I will remind you of those key words when we are having a late night conversation on our Flexradio 5000's in the future :wink:
W5CUL