help needed /newbie here de england

Hookin up those Audio Boxes without gettin yourself Perplexed.
2e0jkd
Audio Head

help needed /newbie here de england

Post by 2e0jkd »

have a ft 1000d /mc 100 pre amp processor/heil pr20/mdx 2200 and cx 3200..

after the ideal wiring set up...also have thumping when ptt and also slight mains hum..HELP PEOPLE PLEASE!
VIA THE FORUM OR MAIL TO

TRUCKKKA@SKY.COM

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Post by Voodoo Guru »

Howdy 2e0jkd, and welcome to the Voodoo Forum!!!

We're not to familiar with the FT1000d and its Transmitter characteristics, as we've never had one here to play around with.
We do know that stock, it has a pretty narrow Transmit Bandwidth and you will not be able to get a HiFi Audio sound from it.
Here is a website of someone that has made that rig work.
He may be able to help you further.
http://pages.prodigy.net/jforgione/k6jrf.html
Again as We're not familiar with that particular rig, answers for the thumping on PTT are few.
Now for the Hum.
That is almost as hard to fix as RF!! hahaha
First thing to be sure of is that all connections between the Rack units are XLR balanced cables (except for the channel #1 to channel #2 on the EX3200!).
The balanced nature of the XLR cables naturally reduce the possibility of 60cps hum.
Next step is the AC Power to the Rack units.
Best thing is to use a power conditioner like a Furman so they can all connect to the same power source and ground potential.
This removes any possibility of Ground loops.
Then the list goes on and on from there.
Best thing to do after that is to isolate the component that is introducing the hum and then there are some tricks to fix it.
Hope that Helps!
Voodoo Guru
From Deep in the IDD of the Sub-Harmonix Realm

2e0jkd
Audio Head

Post by 2e0jkd »

yes thank you for the information...irealise that the ft1000d is very narrow so whilst i also realise that i will never ever sound like you chaps ,i will try my best with what little audio gear i have...

the heil pr 20 firstly ...i am going to run this to a behringer mc100

then into a behringer composer pro mdx 2200

then via xlr leads to a behringer ex 3200...

really only after punchy bassy audio for local rag chewing but have the ability to alter drastically the top end to work dx across the pond to u guys in the U S of A...

IS THIS THE SETUP MOST OF THE VOODOO CREW WOULD DO??

thanks for the reply ..de 2e0jkd tu es gl ee..(ROYAL SIGNALS AMATEUR RADIO SOCIETY MEMBER)

w5cul
VooDoo Audio Crew

Post by w5cul »

Hey 2e0jkd, welcome to the Voodoo Forum!!

Given what you listed for audio gear at your station, that is how I would line it up. The only change I would add is that once you go from the MDX 2200 to channel 1 of the EX3200 via XLR, I would then go out of channel 1 back into channel 2 of the EX3200 using an TRS cable, then take it out of channel 2 to the rig. You can find mention of that particular EX3200 setup on this website.

Have fun, and take care.
W5CUL

Live from the Texas Hill Country......VMSDX# 21

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Post by Voodoo Guru »

...once you go from the MDX 2200 to channel 1 of the EX3200 via XLR, I would then go out of channel 1 back into channel 2 of the EX3200 using an TRS cable, then take it out of channel 2 to the rig.

Ummm...thats not quite correct.
If he did that then he would be coming in via a Balanced Cable into the EX3200 with the XLR....which is ok.
But the next thing you said of using a TRS to come out of channel 1 back into channel 2 of the ex3200 is incorrect...a TRS cable is also a Balanced cable.
Doing this will not give you the correct unbalance for the phase shift in the op amps.
You must use a Mono TS cable (or short the Ring to the Sleeve at each end of the cable in a TRS) for this if you are coming into and going out of the EX3200 to the rest of the rack with Balanced cables.
The interconnect must be unbalanced.

Its just the reverse if you are coming into and going out of the ex3200 with Unbalanced TS cables to the rest of the rack, then the interconnect cable between channel 1 and channel 2 of the ex3200 would be a TRS or XLR Balanced cable.

Just wanted to add some clarity in a sea of murkiness!
Maybe it is just completely clouded now!! :D
Voodoo Guru

w5cul
VooDoo Audio Crew

Post by w5cul »

Mike, no murkiness there. You are absolutely correct, and good catch on my post!! I don't know what I was thinking at the time now that I re-read it :?: I guess that was when I was pondering how long it is going to take that disruptive technology, otherwise known as the FlexRadio, to take over the status quo :twisted:
W5CUL

Live from the Texas Hill Country......VMSDX# 21

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Post by Voodoo Guru »

He he he he.....
Yea, We can understand how that would preoccupy your mind with worry.... :twisted:
Voodoo Guru

2e0jkd
Audio Head

Post by 2e0jkd »

massive changes afoot lads...thanks for all the help..knew u guys wud come thru with sound(pun)advice!..

now using an icom ic 781..going into the rear of the radio..xlr leads getting checked for harmonics..ex 3200 and mdx 2200 with the pr 20 mic from bob heil...will post some pictures soon lads and update the info!
regards voodoo crew!

2e0jkd
Audio Head

wiring set up

Post by 2e0jkd »

ok guys in us of a...now have the icom ic 781/heil pr 20 microphone/xlr leads/mdx 2200 and 3200 with imminent delivery of a behringer ub 802 soon...

now i was told by a local lad how to go about setting it up but as a newbie i dont want to pester him constantly for info as he is a busy man as i am..
question now is..from the rear of the ic 781 which socket wud be best to wire up and how?
acc1 or acc2 or a phono socket with 6.5mm plug..
also how should the wiring go from what piece of kit to the next piece of kit?
is it the 8 pin icom wired to acc1/acc2? and how..colours etc etc?
then from what to what please?!!!

tnx guys de 2e0jkd ..