Makin the best of what I got...

Hookin up those Audio Boxes without gettin yourself Perplexed.
kf4ofi
Audio Head

Makin the best of what I got...

Post by kf4ofi »

Hey VooDoo guys. Been looking at the site and like the VooDoo idea. Would love to build a VooDoo station, although I am monetarily challenged .

I have a Kenwood TS430S, a Behringer MINI MIC800 pre-amp, a Samson 15 band Graph. EQ, and a Heil PR-40 mic. Any suggestions on what I can do with what I have to at least enhance my audio. I have a Kenwood TS940SAT on its way right now, but it will be a couple of days getting here.

I guess what I am asking is there any hope for me with what I have, or should I scrap the whole lot and start over.

Thanks Guys,

Curt
KF4OFI

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Post by Voodoo Guru »

Howdy Curt!
Welcome to the Forum!!!
Glad to see ya.

We're not familiar with using the TS430s or the TS940SAT for ESSB.
More then likely it will be limited in TX and RX bandwidth.
But this is not the end of the world.
With what you have, you can have some GREAT sounding TX Audio, if you take the time to learn your equipment and set it up correctly.
Even if it is only 3kc wide, if you set it up correctly it can sound superb.

The bad part will be in the Receive. You may not be able to receive very wide, we're not familiar with those rigs as we said.
If this is the case, you will not be able to hear and appreciate the wider ESSB dudes using 4Kc to 6Kc of TX bandwidth.

Good Luck Curt!!!
Voodoo Guru
From Deep in the IDD of the Sub-Harmonix Realm

kf4ofi
Audio Head

Post by kf4ofi »

Looks like I can doctor up my audio with what I have , but need to be on the look out for a rig with wider bandwidth capabilities if I ever plan on doing VooDoo. I'm ok with that. Will keep my eyes open for something to pass by that will be a little wider than what I have. Until then, I'll keep mumbling along.

Thanks for the reply
Curt

Bow
Voodoo Audiophile

Post by Bow »

kf4ofi wrote:Looks like I can doctor up my audio with what I have , but need to be on the look out for a rig with wider bandwidth capabilities if I ever plan on doing VooDoo. I'm ok with that. Will keep my eyes open for something to pass by that will be a little wider than what I have. Until then, I'll keep mumbling along.

Thanks for the reply
Curt
Hey Curt,

You gotta start somewhere man!

I am running an Icom IC-718 that I modified for 3.3 kHz wide. Is it full blown Voodoo? Nope, but It does sound good (according to on-air reports) and it works for me!
Bow

Quite possibilly the only 3.3 Khz wide Icom IC-718 in the world...

kf4ofi
Audio Head

Post by kf4ofi »

I hear ya, Bow! Im all about "little steps". But I like learning and coming up through the ranks. Never know, May end uo with the widest 940 on the air! :D

w5cul
VooDoo Audio Crew

Post by w5cul »

Curt,

Welcome to the forum, and happy to hear that the big ESSB bug bit you!!! The way you view SSB will never be the same from now on.

Unfortunately, I am not familiar with either of the rigs that you have mentioned. However, that doesn’t mean that it is not possible to take either of them up a notch in transmit bandwidth. As Voodoo Guru pointed out, you have the beginnings of a good audio chain, and 3Khz can sound great if you fill up the bandwidth properly.

I am not going to suggest that you look for some other radio, but provide you with a tip on how to look for radio’s that can be modified for wider transmit bandwidth. The key is in the carrier set point. If any of the rigs that you mentioned allow enough manual adjustment, whether via a component or menu system, of the carrier set point to accommodate a wider filter set, then you probably could squeeze more transmit bandwidth out of the rig.

So what do I mean by adjustment of the carrier set point. A carrier set point defines where the band-pass of a given filter is placed in relation to the carrier frequency, or zero beat of transmission. Let’s take a radio that has 2.5Khz filters installed, has the ability to manually adjust the carrier set point a ranged value of +/-700 via a menu system, and it is currently set for +200 for LSB with a dial freq of 3.870Mhz; 0 value being zero beat with the dial frequency. Let’s assume that this means the -6db point of the low end of the filter in LSB is setting at 200Hz, so your audio bandwidth would be 200Hz to 2.7Khz, and your transmission would consume bandwidth from 3.869800Mhz to 3.867300Mhz. Now if you wanted to add more bass to your transmission, then you could adjust the carrier set point for a +80. This would move the filter placement such that you would now have an audio band-pass of 80Hz to 2.580Khz, and your transmission bandwidth would now be from 3.869920Mhz to 3.867420Mhz. Now let’s drop a 3Khz filter in there and see what happens. If you left the default setting of +200 applied for the carrier set point for LSB, and you had your dial set to transmit on 3.870Mhz, then your new 3Khz filter would actually span from 3.867300Mhz to 3.870300Mhz. Kind of confusing, I know. Another way to look at it would be 2700-0-300; your transmitted bandwidth in LSB would be from 0Hz (zero beat 3.870Mhz) to 2.7Khz (3.867300Mhz), with an additional 300Hz (3.870Mhz – 3.870300Mhz) in the opposite sideband, giving you a total of 3Khz, the exact size of your new filters. In other words, using the default setting for the carrier set point, your new wider filters would be straddling zero beat (3.870Mhz) such that you would be transmitting in the opposite sideband. So to correct this, you would need to adjust the carrier set point for +580. This would place the lower end of your new filters at 80Hz and the high end at 3.08Khz, thus no more slop in the opposite sideband. Considering that you only have an adjustable range of +/- 700 for your carrier set point for LSB or USB, the most you would hope to get out of such a radio without transmitting in the opposite sideband is roughly 3.1Khz, given a little wiggle room to adjust your bottom end audio.

Now I must say that the above is just an example. Not all radios equate their menu adjustable carrier set points values on a 1:1 basis like I did above. They could very well be 1:10 or 1:20; every one point adjustment could equate to 10Hz or 20Hz of shift in filter placement. And I did not touch on those rigs that exclusively use component adjustments to move their carrier set points around. Typically those rigs that are locked into component adjustments are also locked into the philosophy of what you do for one sideband has an equal and opposite reaction to the other. So in other words, it would be rather difficult to modify them for usage with wider filters than what they came with.

So given the above information the first thing to look for is how far out can you adjust the carrier set point, and is this adjustment independent for LSB and USB. Once you have determined the maximum amount the set point can be adjusted, equate that to filter bandwidth, and then go on the hunt for such a filter set. Keep in mind that most filters come in standard bandwidths and you will have to choose the appropriate size that can be accommodated by your rig without bleeding over into the opposite sideband. A good place to look is INRAD. They carry a wide variety of IF filters for most radios.

Well, this was a rather long reply. If this is information that you already knew, then I apologize for beating a dead horse to death!! If this is new information, then I hope it helps you out in your quest for ESSB.

Keep us posted on your progress, and come join us on 75M/40M whenever you hear us. We usually do not get on 75M till later in the night though.
W5CUL

Live from the Texas Hill Country......VMSDX# 21

kf4ofi
Audio Head

Post by kf4ofi »

Well I have to admit, it is a lot for a newbie like me to take in, but I do see what you are talking about. I'll look at the available filters for my rigs when the other one gets here and see whats available. I am sure I'll have a ton of questions when I do find one.

I have this junk adjusted up a bit now and the guys are telling me that it sounds good, but I need to get some recordings to know for sure. Thats a problem with this 430, no monitor. Ill get there eventually..

Thanks a million,

Curt
KF4OFI

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Excellent !!!!

Post by Voodoo Guru »

Excellent Read Mike!

Not bad for a Yazoo Lover!! :twisted:

Terrific Information.
Thanks!
Voodoo Guru

!KANT
Voodoo Audio Crew Moderator

Post by !KANT »

Hell, this NEW YAZOO owner/lover enjoyed that loooooooong read...lol. :twisted:

Now here's my opinion on this...JUNK EVERYTHING and start over by picking up and better "equipped" transceiver for ESSB use. There are two Hams I know of who have modded their TS-940S's for ESSB--and they sounded excellent!!! Greg KG2RA and Jeff N8RWS.

For the cost of the of a used TS-430S and TS940S you can pick up a decent DSP based rig. **Consider that a used TS-850 is around $700 to $800--same price as a used TS-940S. A DSP100 [if found] will run anywhere from $300 to $500--a used TS-430 will sell for $300 [easily].**

Sometimes you can find some really really nice deals every-so-often. So, finding a TS-870S, TS-2000, IC-756PRO, FT-1000MP can be found within the $1100 to $1300 range. These are perfect radios which put you into the ESSB realm.

The reason for my suggestion is because as you do your best to "squeeze", [or EXPEND rather] every bit of bandwidth from the '940S you'll probably find some work ahead of you or you can look at it as yielding EXPERIENCE if you continue on your current path.

Good luck and welcome to the VooDoo Forums Section [and website].

kf4ofi
Audio Head

Post by kf4ofi »

Looks like I should be looking for a more ESSB capable rig. Possibly I can find someone who will offer me some trade in allowance for my 940s. What about the Yaesu FT2000, anyone running these on ESSB?

Jessica Alba said to "Get a new Rig" while she was shakin' her a$$!!

Thanks
Curt

w5cul
VooDoo Audio Crew

Post by w5cul »

Curt,

Unless my information is old, and someone found a secret menu that can be tweaked, the last I heard the Yaesu FT-2000 has a transmit bandwidth of 2.9 to ~3K; the lowest audio freq possible with some heavy EQ'ing was reported to be 60Hz. Now its receive is capable of a whopping 4Khz, woohooo :roll:

At the price of an FT-2000, you would do better picking up a used SDR-1000, or some modifiable Yaesu/Kenwood. Of course, I am partial to the Mark VI; a modified Mark V. But I would not discount your 940s that is coming in soon. I would check out its ability to tweak the carrier set point before I would throw in the towel and look for another rig.
W5CUL

!KANT

Post by !KANT »

kf4ofi wrote: Jessica Alba said to "Get a new Rig" while she was shakin' her a$$!!

It was her fault I got into a FT-1000MP..... :wink:

I have heard the FT-2000's and they sound very nice [even with their 3KHz TX limit]--just like the PROIII's. But at the cost of $2700 for a FT-2000 you're better off going another route. For the cost of popping in another filter into the '940, the TS-940S itself and '430S, you can pickup a very nice rig.

It's up to what you're ready for Curt, this is only what I finally did back in summer of 2000 when I dumped my IC-706 and TS-850S for a TS-870S. Doing this opened the doors for me and I just flew with ESSB.

BTW, there are guys who have modded the TS-130, 820S, 830S, 850S, 930S, 940S, 950S(D)[X], FT-1000D, 100D, 840 and [the ferocious] 1000MP/MKV to produce superb ESSB audio [and RX]. The reason I mention this is to remind you that "where there a WILL there is a WAY".

Bow
Voodoo Audiophile

Post by Bow »

!KANT wrote:
BTW, there are guys who have modded the TS-130, 820S, 830S, 850S, 930S, 940S, 950S(D)[X], FT-1000D, 100D, 840 and [the ferocious] 1000MP/MKV to produce superb ESSB audio [and RX]. The reason I mention this is to remind you that "where there a WILL there is a WAY".
Bingo!

Man, you don't have to throw stupid amounts of money to get started. Run what yu got, look for upgrades later. I got bit by the ESSB bug a while back, but didn't modifiy my IC-718 until recently.

I am always looking for a radio to do the ESSB thing better than my 718 does, but for now, it works and keeps me smiling when people tell me, on the air, "There is not way that is a 718 your talking on."

And I have to tell them... "But yes, yes it is..."
:twisted:
Bow

Quite possibilly the only 3.3 Khz wide Icom IC-718 in the world...

kf4ofi
Audio Head

Post by kf4ofi »

Well my billfold dictates what I buy anyway, so I'll be playing around with this 940 for a long while I am sure. It should be here today, BTW. I know I more than likely will not get a true ESSB station from it, but maybe will at least think, "hey that old heap sounds pretty good" That will me. Hey I only have to please my self anyway, right?

Thanks for all the info guys, you're allright!

Curt

kf4ofi
Audio Head

Post by kf4ofi »

Been using the 940 for two days now. Getting good audio reports using my preamp, eq and PR40. Power output is down a little to my liking, but we'll work on that.

Later days...

Curt

!KANT

Post by !KANT »

Congratz Curt. Hope to hear you on the air sometime. Enjoy the TS-940S . 8)

kf4ofi
Audio Head

Post by kf4ofi »

Looks like Inrad has a 2.8 kc filter for the TS940S available. Slightly wider than the stock 2.4 kc filter. I am not sure if I would have to adjust the carrier balance for no more increase in bandwidth than it offers or not. Maybe you guys will know. It is not menu defined, so I would have to adjust a pot, but I think you can do that easily according to N8RWS. Would this slight increase in bandwidth be worthwhile?

Also, I am coming straight out of my EQ into the front mic jack of the rig. Am I hurting the rig by dumping high line level audio into the front jack. The EQ has a 6 db + and - adjustment and I have it pulled down to about -3db and it it is still pegging the meter on alc. I can pullit down more but lose audio signal to the rig. It just pulls the level down too low. Any thoughts?

Curt

w5cul
VooDoo Audio Crew

Post by w5cul »

Curt,

Well, N8RWS definitely lays it right out in the open, how to modify the TS-940 for ESSB. In his write up he cascades an Inrad #475 4Khz and an ICOM FL-257 3.3Khz filter, achieving 11Hz to 3.6Khz audio band-pass on his transmit. And what is really cool about all of this is that the TS-940 has an independent adjustment for the USB and LSB carrier set-points. And to top it all off, the TS-940 also sports another independent adjustment for carrier suppression. All of this is like candy to the ESSB enthusiast who is looking for a radio to modify.

So Curt, if there is no difference between the two rigs, 940 plain and 940S, then it would certainly be easy to modify your rig. Keep in mind that there are two filters that your audio will pass through, the 8.830Mhz and the 455Khz filters. You would have to drop in an Inrad #88 and #89 in order to increase your bandwidth to ~2.8Khz. I would think that in order to achieve a few more lows, you would also have to adjust your carrier set-point to the “left” like N8RWS says, as well as tap the Balanced Modulator for audio input. But it all can certainly be done, and work well by the looks of it.

But after reading his website, I must ask, why stop at 2.8Khz? Why not take it to 3.6Khz like he did? Or if the carrier set-point can accommodate it, all the way out to 6Khz? We know from the N8RWS write up that it will at least do 3.6Khz of transmit band-pass. The question now is can the carrier set-point be adjusted to accommodate cascaded 6Khz filters without bleeding over into the opposite sideband? I imagine the answer can be found in the service manual somewhere, or maybe even on the web from some other Op who has done this. The 6Khz filters I refer to are the Inrad #100-K, and the #707S (Collins 455Khz filter).

Decisions, decisions, decisions….looks like you have a decision to make. At least you now know that you do not need to go on the hunt for another rig in order to achieve a more melodious sound.

Now regarding how you are currently feeding your audio to your TS-940S; if it has the ALC continually pegged with just -3db of attenuation during normal voice, not voice peaks, then you are definitely overdriving the rig. You want the ALC to peak only during voice peaks. With the ALC continually pegged when you talk, you are possibly flat topping and distorting. I would adjust the gain structure of your audio equipment in conjunction with the EQ attenuation such that the ALC peaks only during voice peaks, which should produce a very clean sound. I know you will not get as much power out of the rig, but then we do not want to overdrive the rig either. That just causes distortion and decreases the life of the finals, and may damage the mic circuits as well.

Well, again, another long reply. I hope it at least helps you out. Let us know what you decide to do. I am sure there are some lurkers here that will be watching this thread pretty close now that they know about the potential TS-940 ESSB sleeper.
W5CUL

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Post by Voodoo Guru »

Excellent Reply Mike!
Not to Shabby for a Yazoo Man...
But I guess with owning a Yazoo, you better know how to work on em.....
:twisted:
Voodoo Guru

kf4ofi
Audio Head

Post by kf4ofi »

Gonna try to find an IF board to modify and then drop it in the TS940S. Mine is the TS940S BTW, I don't even know if there is a plain 940, but thats beside the point. It does look easy enough to modify the TS940S for ESSB and wake up its wide characteristics. I feel like I should go for the gusto and at least go to 3.6. I would love to have 6.0 kc but having such a good guide from N8RWS I feel safe staying at 3.6 kc.

As far as the ALC issue. I tried using the crappy stock hand mic with it and get the same results from the ALC. There is a very fine line on the mic gain control between no ALC and no output to having power output and full ALC deflection. There may be someting wrong with the radio in this respect. There is a mod for the ALC time constant, possibly this would help. Will contact the dealer where it came from and see what they think, it does have a little bit of warranty.

By bringing the audio in the rear of the rig, how will this affect ALC. Does it bypass the mic amps? I realize there are two methods of "bringing it in the rear" I am referring to using the phone patch input method. I try to add the BAl. Modulator method when upgrading the IF board.

I think we have created a monster!!! Ill probably have this rig so frigged it will never talk again :)

Thanks Guys
Curt